Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Booster out of a 86-87 turbo model will bolt right into a 1st gen with NO MODS! pure bolt in. I have eldo calipers in back with v6 calipers in front and can lockup all 4 38"swampers on the pavement! Steering clears with no mods to the booster. Just remove the old booster and spacer take off a small spacer that has the gaskets on it and put it on the turbo booster thats it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

Another data point: I had an extra 3rd gen dual diaphragm, and gave it to a buddy. He said it bolted right into his 2nd gen....so sounds like they just don't work in 1st gen only.
Well Thats why I have looking for a solution for just 1st gen years without modifications. I tried this before with a bad one and it fit,However it was fucked. I found the one in my truck locally(usa) lol, And after some fuckin off my time(purely my responsibility) to procure it I FINALLY put it in. Drove it last night and this morning. What a difference! pedal is firm and If I push on it to hard the tires will lock up. My ABS system its an acronym for Animal Behind the System senses wheel lock up and lets off accordingly. My single diaphram booster did not give me that option, And consequently I am lazy and wanted it to be an easy swap.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
can you show some better pics of the spacer and how it fits on the booster.

the length of the turbo studs compared to the original first gen booster.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HMM should have took some more pics. The spacer I am talking about os on the original booster and is only .100 thick and mine came off with both gaskets still attached to the spacer. So I just slid it on the back of the turbo booster. The thick original spacer is not used.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
This needs to go into the FAQ.

I saw only one quick blurb on Turbo boosters in the brake booster section.

My booster that came out of my parts donor turbo isn't a dual diaphragm. What a shitter.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Well Thats why I have looking for a solution for just 1st gen years without modifications. I tried this before with a bad one and it fit,However it was fucked. I found the one in my truck locally(usa) lol, And after some fuckin off my time(purely my responsibility) to procure it I FINALLY put it in. Drove it last night and this morning. What a difference! pedal is firm and If I push on it to hard the tires will lock up. My ABS system its an acronym for Animal Behind the System senses wheel lock up and lets off accordingly. My single diaphram booster did not give me that option, And consequently I am lazy and wanted it to be an easy swap.
That's damn cool!

maybe I'll take the Turbo booster off my Runner, install a 3rd gen booster, and hook up a buddy who has a 1st gen. :smokin:

My buddy with the 2nd gen said the same thing you did. A dual diaphragm booster is the single cheapest, easiest brake mod anyone can do on a Toy pickup. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Booster out of a 86-87 turbo model will bolt right into a 1st gen with NO MODS! pure bolt in. I have eldo calipers in back with v6 calipers in front and can lockup all 4 38"swampers on the pavement! Steering clears with no mods to the booster. Just remove the old booster and spacer take off a small spacer that has the gaskets on it and put it on the turbo booster thats it!

Omg dude you fucking rock.This should definately be added to the faq as I was a lil letdown to find the the 3rd gen wouldnt work on mine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Will this turbo booster work on 89-95 trucks? You guys were rattling off generations but I did not know if you were talking about trucks or 4Runners. I have an 89 V6 and I have access to a turbo booster.

Thanks, James

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Will this turbo booster work on 89-95 trucks? You guys were rattling off generations but I did not know if you were talking about trucks or 4Runners. I have an 89 V6 and I have access to a turbo booster.

Thanks, James
You should already have a dual diaphragm booster in an 89 V6. The Turbo booster is actually a little smaller in diameter, so it's possible that you could actually lose a little braking pressure.

Is your pedal too stiff? Look for a T100 booster, it's possible that they're larger in diameter than the 89 v6 booster.

If your pedal isn't too stiff, maybe upgrade master cylinder size--go FJ80 or Supra...or a Chevy conversion. What axles/brakes are you running?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks, James
you allready have a dual diapham booster. But please by all means if you don't need that turbo booster:D

shoot, I got to find myself one of them :D
Thanx again Pat:smokin:

·
Registered
644 Posts
so let me get this right then, the 3gen booster should work on my 85 4runner since its built the same as a 2nd gen truck correct so.... I have a fj-80 master, v-6 callipers vented rotors and no lspv in the rear. my pedal is really stiff, works really good but upgrading the booster wouldn't hurt either.

sorry just double checking before I got out looking for parts, plus my brother has a 90 extra cab, I might steal his booster while hes not watching, and if he leaves more than a few days I might take the wider rear axle too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts