Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Not to be an ass but............SEARCH! I remember several that were covered.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Search, it's been done. Do you read JP mag, every jeep in there has rockwells.:mad: You need wheel base for those pigs!:smokin: :nuke:

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
oldblue said:
so has anyone run 2 1/2 rockwel axles in a yj? what are the pros and cons
Why would anyone run 2 1/2 rockwells, when 2 rockwells will serve them just fine.. that extra half an axle would be more of a hinderance than a help :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Perhaps you mean 2 1/2 TON rockwell axles. :rolleyes:

Oh, and no one runs em.. ever.
Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anything that you are going to run rockwells under is going to have to be modified quite a bit. I can see a a problem with where your springs mount to the frame because those axles are heavy and are going to stress that area. You will also want to consider running full hydro steering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
LUVMYTJ said:
Not to be an ass but............SEARCH! I remember several that were covered.:flipoff2:

i did and only found links to usa6x6 and a few things on how to maintan them nothing really about how they act or anything to do with yjs i will search more but was just looking for some nailed down info to do with yjs Any thoughts idea are welcome thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Plan for some serious frame altering. This is was steered me away from Rockwells, otherwise everything I saw that came with em (deep ass gears, lots of weight, strenght, etc) were all things I wanted.
Either you have alots of money, lots of fabrication/welding/cutting skills, or go with 1 tons.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
White CJ7 said:
Search, it's been done. Do you read JP mag, every jeep in there has rockwells.:mad: You need wheel base for those pigs!:smokin: :nuke:
Only the ones from WMS.......which is most of them cause that rag is all advertising for that shop :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I dont know why you would have to do anything to the frame because most dont do any thing to there frame when the put a 60 under the front. If you remove the huge drum brakes from the rockwells there is not that much weight differance between a 60 front. There is some but not enough to worry about. A leaf spring suspinsion is real easy to design for these axles. Ive got em under my yj but its not complete. After that Im putting a set under my dads scrambler using leafsprings. Im going with a 4 link on mine. And im not beefing my frame up but i am going to make a frame for the scrambler since the one under it is toast.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't you need to work thing out to fit the massive diff of the Rockwell under the frame/oil pan/engine? It's so damn big, seems like you'd have to alter some things.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Most people simply put it so far forward it is before the engine, thus u dont have that prob.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
biggin said:
If you remove the huge drum brakes from the rockwells there is not that much weight differance between a 60 front.

riiiiiigghhtt..... ok so you loose the 200 lbs in a per drums..... and what are you going to do about those 180lbs hubs???:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
biggin said:
IIf you remove the huge drum brakes from the rockwells there is not that much weight differance between a 60 front.
I will tell you a front 60 weighs about 450-470 or so. Now you go weigh a steering rockwell with no drums and tell me it's not 200 lbs heavier :D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
bigdude said:

I will tell you a front 60 weighs about 450-470 or so. Now you go weigh a steering rockwell with no drums and tell me it's not 200 lbs heavier :D
Yeah no shit it is hevier no doubt but they dont weigh a fawking ton like everybody claims. I have 5 steering axles laying in my garage as we speak :flipoff2: Yeah I want a cookie

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
biggin said:

Yeah no shit it is hevier no doubt but they dont weigh a fawking ton like everybody claims. I have 5 steering axles laying in my garage as we speak :flipoff2: Yeah I want a cookie
oh well I guess im wrong..
hey do me a favor... you say I dont know how much a hub weighs... so please go weigh a hub and tell me how much correct weight is... I would like to know from someone that has delt with them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
a complete 60 weighs 640 lbs... that was shipping weight on a pallet that weighed 10 pounds.. unless the scale was wrong...

Mike-

1 - 20 of 31 Posts