Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here are the issues. I want you girls and boys to do some counting for me. I would like for you to help count how many 2.5 ton rockwell axles you have seen break and also how many times you have seen the third member break. For the diff. breakage it would help if you know if it was a welded, spool, or open. I want to try and get a percentage number on axle vs. diff. breakage.
I have all kinds of 2.5 ton and 5 ton axles but alloy axles in the 2.5 ton rockwells would fit my program the best. I am wondering if the diffs. are strong enough to stand up to alloy shafts. I am a tractor tired mud bogger with ultra high horesepower.

Thanks,
Mudwrench

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is a truck here in town on 2.5 rockwells on 52's and has busted 2 rear axle shafts. One shaft busted in a tractor pull and the other just playing in mud.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
A group of guys calling themselves the dirty underwear gang around here bust rockwells like they are dana 44's. They all believe the skinny pedal is the only pedal that matters. I used to think that rockwells were indestructable until I saw the carnage they unleash. Everything from knuckles, ring and pinions, to several axle shafts. And they are not running 53 inch tires, just tons of horsepower. And they are not doing tractor pulls either.

Guess I am trying to say that anything can be broken. 2.5 tons take more work to break though.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
A friend of mine took his skidder-ish creation out one night and wedged it between 2 trees and broke both fronts and one rer shaft. IIRC he had to pull the trees down with a tank to get it out. He wasn't thinking well at the time.

Big ol' military tires on it, powered by a big desiel:

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Halogrinder said:

did he get stuck between two ugly trees?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know Dan Dibble has broken at least one Rockwell shaft in his 454 powered buggy on 44" Boggers.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
64rovr said:

9volt go fawk up someone elses thread.:mad:

I have a 400hp 468 roller and a 3.8 Atlas with 44s. Yes I like the gas pedal, but this is why I went with Rockwells. When I started my buggy two years ago nobody was breaking them.

My second time out I broke the shortside inner on the rear. Also at the same time broke the Detroit locker. I dont feel I was on it hard at the time but I did drive the tire up under a ledge. (back pass side) When It happened I was like, "That sucked but no big deal I have spair shafts in the trailor." But when we realized it was a inner it got real interesting removing it. We replaced the axle assembly just to drive it and find out the locker was done.

This sucked bad. I got to ride for about four hours of a three day event and missed out on a tug of war that I think I could have won. ALSO, the removal of the housing and diff. sucked as did the clean up. Detroit did warranty my diff.

At the Big Meats run I SAW two axles break on one obstical differnet trucks both had 49s and were using some right foot but not silly. Casy himself (rockwell pioneer) said he has never broke one but I didnt check out his riding style or rig specs.

I called TRB two weeks a ago and ordered new cro-mo rear assemblys (inners, u-joints and outers) this set me back 1800.00 But I just cannot risk driving 12 hours somewhere and breaking another inner or outer and losing the detroit. YEs I am shure the axle breaking caused the detroit failure. NO I dont want a spool.

Inner

stub- just a slight twist

Locker

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The clean up and removal is what SUCKED the most. Rockwell diffs have all these little pockets and spaces that are tough to flush out with out a total dissasembly of the gear reduction. Not wanting any trouble I went and swapped in a spair carrier I had with a new detroit. But after drilling for the 180 offset on the carrier (rear) I wish I had just cleaned the other. To remove a rockwell, the whole axle has to be out to pull the carrier. And yes it is like working on a dump truck.

Gear oil with about 25 miles on it. The small pieces of metal were unbelivable. I have broke many a 60 gear and inner axle and NEVER saw a mess like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was running 526 Ford Big block with alky Injection Hat...big Magneto and 4500 stall converter...850 horsepower... 70" Rice and Cane tractor tires. I quit the 2.5 Ton rockwells years ago and had to go to 2.5 ton GMC for better shafts but broke them too.
I am now looking at some 5 Tons I have and they will hold up, but the weight is gonna kill me...

Mudwrench

How about info on how to contact:
Jack @ CTM
Daniel, is he with USA 6x6

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Mudwrench said:
Was running 526 Ford Big block with alky Injection Hat...big Magneto and 4500 stall converter...850 horsepower... 70" Rice and Cane tractor tires. I quit the 2.5 Ton rockwells years ago and had to go to 2.5 ton GMC for better shafts but broke them too.
I am now looking at some 5 Tons I have and they will hold up, but the weight is gonna kill me...

Mudwrench

Jack @ CTM
Yeah, I would have to say that with that setup you will probably have some problems... Unless you really care about weight a whole lot, I would go with the 5 tons. Because alloy shafts and joints are gonna cost. What about planetaries? You are in the monster truck axle range now so thats where I would start to look...

and www.ctmracing.com is jacks, you do not want to deal with daniel for anything...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mudwrench said:

Mudwrench

Jack @ CTM
How about some big Unimog axles ?? U1300s-U416 axles.
They are very strong and you got lots of clerance.

Daniel T

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Wolfgang said:

How about some big Unimog axles ?? U1300s-U416 axles.
They are very strong and you got lots of clerance.

Daniel T
U1300s are what I would have used if I knew about them two years ago.

I have seen Stations and they are awsome.

Dan

BTW: what does a set of steering U1300s with disc brakes go for????

·
Registered
157 Posts
I personaly have seen 4 shafts break. the truck had 4 wheel steer and detriots front and rear with 48" terra's. The back two were timken's and the front were the birfield type.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts