Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a front 2 1/2 ton rockwell locally but it has birfield joints what are the pros and cons of this and what is a fair $. It doesn't have a locker or any breaks. thanks Dylan

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you didnt search hard enough, but I will help you..

"The 2 1/2 ton U joint style, max. static load is 3,600 foot lbs. of torque. The convel model "E" used in the 2 1/2 ton is 4,310 foot lbs. of torque. The rezepa is estimated 10% to 15% weaker than the U joint style. Just for grins the dana 60 - 1480 in the steering axle is 2,000 foot lbs. of torque. I like BIG stuff. steve differential eng. inc."

I'd say dont pay more than $500

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
there is three different jonts in rockwells
u-joint
rapezza
birfield

birfield is the least common it has ballbearings in a wirng and is on a splined axle (these are in high demand for hybrid axles)

most old stuff has repezza just 4 big ball bearings traped in the end of the axles

to cahange these out you need to drive out the axle seal assembly and replace with a thiner one (used u-joint axle 50.00)

birfield is verry strong
ujoint is also strong
repezza joint is ok but the axle is weeker poor steel

here in arkansas we pay 600 to 700

if u find birfields d&d machine on the board well trade

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have a front axle i bought from a guy but it didnt have axle shafts so i found some birfield ones from a local off road shop around town i gave 50 bucks for both sides but my axles shaft wont slide all the way in ive been told its because i need to change out the inner axle seal is that true if so where do i buy just the inner seal for the birfield styl ive looked around a little on the net but only found the ujoint styl inner seals

·
Registered
570 Posts
i have a front axle i bought from a guy but it didnt have axle shafts so i found some birfield ones from a local off road shop around town i gave 50 bucks for both sides but my axles shaft wont slide all the way in ive been told its because i need to change out the inner axle seal is that true if so where do i buy just the inner seal for the birfield styl ive looked around a little on the net but only found the ujoint styl inner seals
I have a front axle i bought from a guy but it didn't have axle shafts So i found some birfield ones from a local off road shop around town, I gave 50 bucks for both sides. My axles shaft wont slide all the way in and I've been told its because i need to change out the inner axle seal, is that true? If so where do i buy just the inner seal for the birfield style? I've looked around a little on the net but only found the ujoint styl inner seals.

Punctuation will get you everywhere man, i hate run on sentences they make you look fucking retarded.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
You'll need both the seal and retainer...I've got what ya need and sent a PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts