Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I'll jump into my first post which is why I signed up is to research a subject. I am not new to jeeps at all, rebuilding a few CJ's ,but am asking for a search help. Long story short. I am acquiring a 1997 4 cyl TJ at a ridiculous price. I rather keep what I have got (with full hard doors and top, something I dont mind diving into and its already stripped on the inside) Is there a full article for those of us sticking to a basic Jeep on Jeep swap from 2.5 to 4.0. I.E. what years engines to choose from, parts list. I think I got the basics of I'll need the computer, rad, motor obviously from the 4.0. How bout what tranny's will bolt up this one has the auto in it. And motor mounts I heard must be ground off and welded up further in the frame. Am I on the right track. I know someone can just spit this stuff out for me real quick ;)
Thanx

·
Registered
166 Posts
radiator is the same. You need frame motor mounts, tranny, transfer case, computer, and engine wiring harness from a tj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I figured as much. Well I guess is there anyone whos done this that has a write up with specific directions/ problems they have trouble shooted? Any nickle and dime stuff? And is there another setup you guys have found better if I'm going to be ripping out basically everything anyway besides the typical TJ sport into a SE 4 banger replacement. And by better I mean within the same budget but with diff benefits.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just drop a ford 5.0HO in. You know you want a V-8. Check out the "TOTM" on the subject in this forum.

Welcome, now search.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Might as well go with a 350, 302, or 318/360 than put a I6 in. Unless you are the type of person who can be satisfied with what you have.

·
Registered
399 Posts
radiator is the same.
:shaking: No they are not.....

If you search under my name I just done it last summer and did a complete build write up on here....If after you see my post feel free to pm me with any questions you have....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well like I said I been researching a lot which it looks like others have done but to the above stated build up I looked and the thread may be to old to have the pictures still being hosted....so not to much luck there. I am no one to turn down a cool project but my goal is to get rollin as quicvk as I can once I get it. So I wonder if selling this and maybe parting it and puttin money towards a 4.0 in a newer TJ from the get go would be better. Just depends how lenghty this swap is and how soon I can source parts. But liek I said anyone with a write up and pics on a TJ 2.5 to TJ 4.0 or likewise swap chime in thatd be great!

·
Registered
399 Posts
here is the thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489197

pictures will not be there because I deleted them out of my photobucket account..

as for parts...because I am a nice guy you will need the following

Motor mounts for a 6 cyl...need to cutoff old ones and weld the new ones.
Radiator out of a 6cyl TJ NOT a 4 cyl.
engine harness from a 6cyl TJ....firewall harness is somewhat the same.
tranny and tcase for a 6cyl.
driveshafts for a cyl
computer for a 6 cyl
and of course the engine...
fan shroud for a 6 cyl
radiator hoses for 6 cyl
I cant remember if the skid was the same for the tranny mount...I am thinking they where....I put a dana 300 in mine so I had to modify it...
also on a 6cyl h.o. motor there are 2 fule lines, one pressure and I believe one return...the fuel lines for the 4 cyl arent long enough so you will have to fab one up. Also there are certain vacuums that you will need to get from the 6cyl fender well as the 4cyl are different....or do away with like I did.. Fuel tank and pump are the same so you dont need to worry there...all in all I could do the swap in a weekend IF all the parts where there....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey tiki I do really appreciate your help there. lol I've seen what you do to posts you guys don't like, so like I said it will help me a lot. I'm sure all the randomness that will come along I can sort through I just wanted a major parts list. There is some rediculous swaps goin on in this hardcore tech section, you guys def are thinking outside the box on your Jeeps and can't wait to keep looking around.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I did a 2.5 to 4.0 swap last summer. I picked up the drivetrain for $1000 at a local junkyard. I was then able to sell both my 2.5 and AX5 for $700 on eBay. The only fabrication is that you have to relocate the engine mounts on the frame. You will need to get the matching harness and ECU. You will need to get the down pipe on the exhaust redone. You will also to purchase front/rear driveshafts or lengthen/shorten your existing ones. When you get the drivetrain, be sure to get the transfer case shift linkage, as it is a different length from the 2.5L drivetrain. The skid plate on both drive trains is the same, but the transmission mounts are different. If you can't get it from the donor, buy one on eBay. As tiki mentioned, you need 4.0 fuel lines, as the 2.5 ones are too short. Now would be a good time to convert to an electric fan because you can get your engine closer to the front, resulting in a longer rear driveshaft. Remember, eBay and Pirate are your friends for all parts you don't have. I bought my harness and ECU from someone on Pirate, and my driveshafts and transmission mount from eBay.

If someone suggests a v8 swap over a 4.0 swap, they are completely missing the point. I did my 2.5 to 4.0 swap for two reasons: cost and ease of install. Swapping a v8 drivetrain is not only much more costly, but interfacing the v8 engine harness to the dash is a pain in the ass. You could pay for a painless harness, but that is way too expensive. A v8 swap and a 4.0 swap serve different purposes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If someone suggests a v8 swap over a 4.0 swap, they are completely missing the point. I did my 2.5 to 4.0 swap for two reasons: cost and ease of install. Swapping a v8 drivetrain is not only much more costly, but interfacing the v8 engine harness to the dash is a pain in the ass. You could pay for a painless harness, but that is way too expensive. A v8 swap and a 4.0 swap serve different purposes.

Actually that is incorrect. It really depends on what V8 you do....I found out after I was damn near done with my that a 5.9 V8 from a grand cherokee will swap in just as easy as the 4.0 does. IF I was going to do it all over again, I would do the 5.9 cherokee with the aw4 tranny and an atlas depending on how much money you want to spend.....The 5.9 engine harness and the 4.0 engine harness are damn near the same...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Just finished this swap myself, and I'll add to whatever has been said so far. If possible, get the whole donor vehicle and pull everything from it. I pulled the engine, trans, all FOUR harnesses, fuel tank, emissions, dash and HVAC from the donor. It made for a fast bit of wiring. :D

You can cut your 2.5L fuel line and use Earl's adapters and some SS line to lengthen it, but you will need the 4.0L return line (the one off the 2005 I swapped in was completely different). FWIW the front fuel line with return is about $85 from the dealer.

Also, make sure you either pick up a new t-case, or buy the parts you need to swap in the right input. If you need it, I have a 23 spline input to mate a 231 to an auto trans.

Check out http://www.daveysjeeps.com/ for great prices on used parts. There are two big vendors on eBay, and I've had bad experiences with both.

I took tons of pictures during the swap, but haven't loaded most of them on my site yet. Give a shout if you need anything specific.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well maybe this is going to turn into a thread I may not of intended to, and prob has been done before but here it goes. You all get the idea I'm going with, keeping it simple and upgrading a whole Jeep to just another TJ package. BUT in the same lines, are there diff tranny /T case packages you all would suggest assuming the swap is with the 4.0. I.E. low gearing a t case/stronger tranny? While its apart mines well put in what would be best. Again not making this a $$$ swap with all you crazy "trail only" rig guys lol, small and subtle changes to one up a factory Sport TJ.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you want to have a very capable jeep, and you dont want to spend a crap load and you are dead set on not selling this and doing a swap then go with the 4.0 with a 2001 or newer tranny which would be the NV3550 and the 231...now if you want to spend a little extra, then get a dana 300 tcase and order the flip kit and install it....but then the weak link is going to be the axles....IMHO sell it and try to get you a sahara or rubi....you will be farther ahead for probably the same money. Especially if you get the rubi......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k guys thanx a lot and tiki thanx for your input. I appreciate it and will decide very soon and let you guys know! This site so far is great :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sell the 2.5L and buy a TJ with a 4.0L. Difference in cost may be worth it than going thru all the hastle.

zman

1 - 17 of 17 Posts