·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Ive seen a bunch of green trucks driving around on them for years

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By " Green Trucks " I assume you mean Military right? , if not can you please explain what you meant by " Green Trucks " ? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts opinions or answers.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Does anyone use 2.5 Rockwell Axles on a daily driver?:confused:
I am about to. Waiting on wheels and shocks at this point. I have drove the truck about 5 miles currently, nowhere near as loud as I expected the axles to be. They do have an interesting noise at speed (high pitched) but not bad at all.

The reason I haven't drove it more is I don't have front brakes yet :(

Derek

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
My W600 came stock with 2.5 ton Rockwells, but not the top loader military variety. The 6.8 gears keep me from getting too many speeding tickets.:D

Bucky

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
My W600 came stock with 2.5 ton Rockwells, but not the top loader military variety. The 6.8 gears keep me from getting too many speeding tickets.:D

Bucky
Yeah, they are low :laughing:

Even with the overdrive on my 4R100 I am spinning 3 grand at 70 with the little 9R20's on the truck now. The 16R20's will fix that issue but unless you plan on running at least a 46" tire they are not good axles for the road.

Derek

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There are quite a few rigs running rockwells that are daily driven. No issues that I know of. Hell, even the stock drum brakes are good enough to lock up all 6 tires. If you do decide to run them on a daily driver, more so one that will see the highway, Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
There are quite a few rigs running rockwells that are daily driven. No issues that I know of. Hell, even the stock drum brakes are good enough to lock up all 6 tires. If you do decide to run them on a daily driver, more so one that will see the highway, Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.
I was going to upgrade to disc but the stock drums work GREAT. Better than the stock Ford 4 wheel disc setup. It takes probably half of the peddle pressure to stop as it did in this truck off the showroom floor. Most deuce's were manual brakes, when you throw a booster in the mix they are more than adequate.

Offroad I prefer pinion brakes as you can lose around 250 pounds per axle :eek: and you can run without a booster, but on the street the stock drums are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Dont Mohawk the bottom of the housing to gain better clearance for offroad use. That greatly reduces the amount of gear oil in the housing and can lead to the ring, pinion, bearings and bullgear overheating.
Only an issue if u don't run this in em

AMSOIL Severe Gear® SAE 250

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iniviate just wondering what the average mpg you are getting with your truck and the Rockwell Axles? I'm just asking because I'm in the planning steps of building a vehicle with Rockwell Axles would be nice to know what your complete drivetrain is Engine, Axles, Transmission, Transfer Case, Driveshaft, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, as well as the computer system and any upgrades to the computer system.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Iniviate just wondering what the average mpg you are getting with your truck and the Rockwell Axles? I'm just asking because I'm in the planning steps of building a vehicle with Rockwell Axles would be nice to know what your complete drivetrain is Engine, Axles, Transmission, Transfer Case, Driveshaft, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, as well as the computer system and any upgrades to the computer system.

:laughing:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Look at it like this: With 46" tall tires and 6.72:1 gearing, its like running a 5.00:1 ratio on stock street tires.

Its allot of weight to get rotating though. However once it's moving, its not that stressful on other components. In town, crap mileage. Highway with and overdrive transmission, you should get roughly stock mpg.

Heck, I can move my rig around the yard just by twisting the front pinion by hand or with a drill motor and socket.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

that's not my truck. i personally wouldn't run 2.5 tons on the street.

it sounds like you're in well over your head though. good luck.

edit: it looks like just about every question you asked was already answered in the link.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Go do some research. You've got many hours of searching and reading to do before you ask questions. good luck with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eaton Fuller Automatic Transmissions

Does anyone use 18,13, or 10 speed automatic transmissions (eaton ultrashift, eaton autoshift, etc. ) I was thinking having multiple gears allows to keep the engine turning at low to very low rpms for increased reliability and less wear on the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
I have driven my truck around 40 miles with the 9R20 tires. Braking is GREAT. It stops better than it ever did with the factory disc setup, you can stop the truck with your big toe :laughing:.

Gearing is pretty low, but not unbearable. I am spinning 3 grand at 65-70mph, with a larger tire it will be perfect as this will be up around 85mph.

As for noise, they make very little. Seriously. I was concerned after reading on some different forums but I can barely hear some whining above my exhaust, nothing to be concerned about. Bottom line, I should have done this swap a LONG time ago.

Wheels are done, picking them up this weekend. Shocks are ordered, hoping to get them next week. In the mean time the front clip is getting painted black and I am in search of a new rear bumper as mine is bent.

The only major thing left is to install the indexing ring on the transfer case. I had to rotate the front axle to get caster angles to 6 degrees positive and it put a bind on my front driveline. I will rotate the transfer case down 30 degrees or so and this problem will be solved.

Edit*
Someone asked about MPG. I am getting 15 on the highway with the 9R20's and my V10

Derek

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts