Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY problem:

Own a 1997 TJ 4banger, AX5 - swapped in the 4.0L from 2000 Sahara along with the AX-15. Donor vehicle included engine harness and computer. Installed engine and tranny - no problem. Recently completed engine harness wiring - and all final details of installation. When it came to start- NOTHING. After adjusting all the conection on engine harness and replacing fuel pump- engine cranked! Engine roars on, and after 2-3 seconds it shuts right OFF! SAME RESULTS OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER OVER.....

I can't figure it out, after reading the forums I realized everyone has issues with the swap...... I am in way to deeeep to pull out now. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The relay huh, well that will be next step. I am no electric expert, but I imagine that it ain't that hard?

As for the gent that asked about the wire harness, i have it there, e-mail me @ [email protected] - for details

I will keep you guys posted as to what happens with my darn 4 to 6 banger project........almost finalized....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sounds like a sentry key to me. If you dont have the coded key, it will fire up then stall after a few seconds

·
Registered
336 Posts
v10sport said:
Sounds like a sentry key to me. If you dont have the coded key, it will fire up then stall after a few seconds
Yep, but I bet his SE didn't have Sentry Key to start with so He is gonna have to figure out how to get the parts to give it Sentry Key or to give the PCM the correct signal or maybe he can just get the pcm flashed to remove the Sentry Key. Of course it would be easier to swap the relay mentioned above first. He may get lucky, but my money is on the Sentry Key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'll X3 or 4 or whatever the key. What your discribing is exactly what the Sentry key system is designed to do. In the donor car there would have been a Sentry key system control module under the dash on the column. When the car is turned on the module sends an RF signal to the key, and then the key will send one back. When the signal is said to be valid it sends a signal to the PCM that everything is good to go. So not only would you need to get that Sentry control module.. you'd have to go get keys programed from the dealer so you could use use it. I'd say your best option would be to find a computer that came from a 4.0 that didn't have the Sentry Key system.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
JeepnYJ said:
i'll X3 or 4 or whatever the key. What your discribing is exactly what the Sentry key system is designed to do. In the donor car there would have been a Sentry key system control module under the dash on the column. When the car is turned on the module sends an RF signal to the key, and then the key will send one back. When the signal is said to be valid it sends a signal to the PCM that everything is good to go. So not only would you need to get that Sentry control module.. you'd have to go get keys programed from the dealer so you could use use it. I'd say your best option would be to find a computer that came from a 4.0 that didn't have the Sentry Key system.
anyone have a pic of this sentry key

http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKU-CH&catid=16

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get a PCM from a 2000 TJ sport or X. Call a junkyard and ask for a computer without the sentry key option.(For one of the above models)

Also if you get one make sure it's from a standard shift TJ. It will make life easier on you if you need to smog the jeep.

·
Registered
336 Posts
JeepnYJ said:
Yeah, you still need the original keys to program the bypass module though
Maybe not. You don't need two keys to program a new key. So maybe the same applies for the module. You can get a key from the dealer if you only have one good key. It cost about $150 here at the local dealer. I assume you could get a key even if you have no good keys to start with. I would ask about flashing the PCM to make it non Sentry Key. Then price a non Sentry PCM.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just looked at the bypass module. It looks like it just emulates a key. You can use a regular $2 key from Home Depot to start the Jeep. You get the same effect by programming a spare key ($20 on ebay + $2 to have cut locally) then taping it inside the cover of the steering column.

Either way it won't work for a SE that didn't come with Sentry because the transponder and wiring and such isn't there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me get this str8, I screwed because of that small oversight! Man, I had done my homework, and thought that I had everything lined up. I was looking at the bypass kits, but like one of the Jeepers said, my SE doesn't have this requried module(receiver) At this point, I am going to try using my buddy's computer off his 2000 TJ, if it works t hen we'll just have to salvage yard shopping! If anyone actually lived this, I would appreciate your personal horror story. FYI, swapping out the 4banger for the 6 banger has been alot more work than I had hoped for, I just hope that str8 6 has as much power as all the Jeepers say it does! Thanks for looking out for my Life, I mean my Jeep.....samething!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Randall Edge said:
Maybe not. You don't need two keys to program a new key. So maybe the same applies for the module. You can get a key from the dealer if you only have one good key. It cost about $150 here at the local dealer. I assume you could get a key even if you have no good keys to start with. I would ask about flashing the PCM to make it non Sentry Key. Then price a non Sentry PCM.

Yeah, but it doesn't sound like hes got a key anyway so he wouldn't be able to program anything. But like others and myself have said.. you should be able to get a computer from a non Sentry Key TJ.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Good luck man. The best mod I ever did with my old SE was trading it for a Sport, but if I had stuck with it for another couple of years it would have been paid for and I could have easily afforded to swap engines once I was done making payments. I would have saved several thousand $$. Oh well, I got the Sport now and I'm keeping it for a while.

I bet yours fires right up with the new computer.:jeep:

·
Registered
336 Posts
JeepnYJ said:
Yeah, but it doesn't sound like hes got a key anyway so he wouldn't be able to program anything. But like others and myself have said.. you should be able to get a computer from a non Sentry Key TJ.
I think the dealer can program it without an existing key, but I doubt you can convince them to program it to work with the bypass anyway. A new computer is the way to go IMHO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts