Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Randall Edge said:
I think the dealer can program it without an existing key, but I doubt you can convince them to program it to work with the bypass anyway. A new computer is the way to go IMHO.
Yep, and the dealer programming the key is $$$$ my buddy had to pay 150 bucks or so to get A new key made for his Camero which had the same basic function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, the shutdown relay didn't do the trick. I am currently looking for the ECM from a 00 Sport. Turns out I only was able to test w/ a 99 -my jeep has no distributor. How sure are some of you guys that the ECM from another vehicle would do the trick? I am looking online for some, but most of the places I call aren't 100% sure that the computer was from a SPORT or SAHARA or X - most places I call don't offer refunds either. I only ask cause at this point I am a little more nervous about the upgrade...lot a money spend so far.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't think of anything else it would be. My buddies Camaro with the pass-lock did the same thing when he lost his original keys and had one made. He ended up having to go get a new key from the dealership. But since this isn't really an option for you The new ECM should do the trick.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep, I think it's the PCM. I'd call a dealer and see what they say can be done about it. Yours probably isn't bad, it just doesn't fit your application. Perhaps they have a way to change it. That would likely cost more than you can buy a PCM for, but you never know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As far as I can tell, a PCM which has been used on a Jeep with the sentry system cannot be reprogramed to work without it. All PCMs come with the capability, and once connected with the SKIM module (and programmed???) it will not work without it. Your best bet is to get one from a salvage yard that will allow you to return it if it had the sentry system. You could also get the SKIM module, a key, have it programmed, etc. This is cheaper than a new PCM from the dealer, but I am not sure your jeep would have the necessry wiring to plug it all in.

Also, search the 4.0L swap forum at www.cjoffroad.com for all you ever wanted to know about this system.

EDIT: Alot of the bypass systems allow for you to use a remote starter by faking the presence of a key. They also allow for the system to remain intact, i.e. you still need the key to drive it.

Features:

compatible with any remote car starter
compact design easy to mount
simple 2-wire installation
compatible with manufacturer's anti-theft system
maintains integrity of factory vehicle anti-theft system
easy programming
no extra key required for operation

It looks like this might be the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
:smokin: I finally found an ECM from a 2000 SPORT and so far so GOOD! Mechanic is finishing her up as we speak. I'll post before and after pics soon as it's wrapped up! :cool2: (ofcourse only if not hitting any more obstacles for this project) Thanks Jeepers for all you help!!!!! it took some time but I finally found the ECM for less than $100 and guaranteed to work, cant wait to see how that 4.0L will compare to 2.5L it use to run!:jeep:

·
Registered
309 Posts
All that jabber about the sentry key...

Watch it be the fact that he didn't have the red wire attached to the red terminal.......:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
smackTJ said:
(ofcourse only if not hitting any more obstacles for this project)
Now that it is done what are some problems that the next guy might look for when he tries the same swap? Motor Mounts, Tranny Mount, Wiring, Power Steering, Cooling, Etc.....

21 - 31 of 31 Posts