Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to possibly swap my ax-5 out in favor of a different and stronger 5-speed, but want something different, but stay 5-speed.

What options are available. I know the ax-15 is an option, but what others are available?

Toyota? Ford? Chevy? I do not need an NV-4500 as it is just a 4-banger, but am curious what I can do.

Thanks.

OK, background since I know someone is grumbling. I do not wheel hard, but enjoy some rocks, snow, mud, scenic mountain passes. I want the availability to have lower low range.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you want lower range why not a different TC (or doubler)? Or else regear?

·
Registered
694 Posts
because the Ax-5 suks. wether you just want lower gearing or not.
Edit: If you plan on running larger than a 35" tire the 4 cylinder wont need a 5 speed. even if you go to 5.38s it will have a very hard time pulling the tires above 50 MPH.
He is right, you may as well go to a 4speed. A SM420 or SM465 Will give you the low gearing you want. While you are at it a 9lb inerta ring on the flywheel will do wonders. I have the parts to conect a SM465 to a 4.2 and 231 TC. Contact me if intersted.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
currupt4230, why not? Too low on the first, too wide a spread on the rest?? I have that transmission and t-case.

Appilachian offroad, what needs to be done to swap to the toyota tranny and t-cases? Do they offer a drivers drop? Or is it another kit to swap to drivers drop? or can they be flipped????

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm preping for a stronger engine swap in the future, and planning out what to do with my tranny as well. The Jeep is currently my DD, and I drive 30 miles on the highway to and from work, but I don't go all that fast and don't mind taking a little bit more time not having overdrive if I do have granny low.

I'm taking a strong look at the SM420. It seems like a solid transfer, and it has the excellent granny low which is what draws me to it. I'm currently running the stock gear ratio (4.10) on a front 30, rear 35 at the moment.

I figure at some point I want a D44 front, and a 8.8 rear, and when I do that and re-gear, then I'm going to look for a tranny that will be able to handle a stronger engine as well.

Trying to go one step at a time isn't easy though, when all you want to do is dump it all in asap.

Here's a good write-up on the SM420 swap:
http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/sm420yj/

I was thinking about staying 5 speed as well, and currently I use my Jeep for basic offroading, but that's because I can't handle the bigger stuff yet. I really suggest thinking about how you want to use it, because if you don't do much fancy, I really suggest grabbing an ax-15 and being done with it. It's stronger, and can handle the 2.5L fine for what it sounds like where you are going with the rig.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
currupt4230, why not? Too low on the first, too wide a spread on the rest?? I have that transmission and t-case.

Appilachian offroad, what needs to be done to swap to the toyota tranny and t-cases? Do they offer a drivers drop? Or is it another kit to swap to drivers drop? or can they be flipped????
The reason I said it wouldn't be a good choice is because it's a 4 speed, and 4th gear is 1:1. It worked great with me when I ran 35's on the highway with 4.10's, but I see you have 4.88's. Just thought the RPM's might be a touch high. I think it's a great tranny, albeit a little heavy, you won't ever break it (conceivably you could, but it'd be hard).

Read this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559102&highlight=NP435

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a 90 yj 2.5l it pushed my 36's up to 65mph until I hit a hill droped down a bit but would get back up there so if u can't get over 50mph maybe u should look at ur motor maybe getting to weak to push anything so just my 2 cents maybe try and get more power from ur motor like intake exhaust or electric fan less $ but can improve a lot

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you plan on running larger than a 35" tire the 4 cylinder wont need a 5 speed. even if you go to 5.38s it will have a very hard time pulling the tires above 50 MPH.
I have a 4-banger and run 37s with 5.13 gears, and I run 55 in 4th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts