Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to sell all my rigs and start a new build soon and I'm looking for a couple of views on the plan.

I've been wanting another taco really bad as a wheeler that drives to the trail. I have more and more customers w/ sweet tow rigs, that want to reduce fuel consumption by being able to drive and from. The last couple rigs I've built for myself had that same intent (even though I still tow them).

A few things I wanted to know:

- What does it take to get the t-cases dumped on the pass side ( would like to run a chevy 44 front so I can get 5.89's that or I can do a hybrid 9 or flip a 44 chunk

- Is this thing just going to fall on it's face on the hills or will the following combo be decent?

40" radials.... not sure what's going to be around when I start the build
17" kmc's
built 44 and 9 or 60... 1/2 ton brakes

I'll try to keep the weight down but it's going to be linked and c/o'd all around most likely. (I'm not using race scales... just for you mr. foster ;))

I'm just really liking the idea of a cab, probably just a reg cab truck. I want the 4 cyl for many reasons. I think I'd drive my jeep to the trail more in the summer if it wasn't so hot, but I like to tow because it's nice in the cab :) I think a taco would be a good compromise.... I could be comfortable on the way to the trail driving it.... somewhat fuel efficient.... and I won't get any speeding tickets :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm probably going to sell all my rigs and start a new build soon and I'm looking for a couple of views on the plan.

I've been wanting another taco really bad as a wheeler that drives to the trail. I have more and more customers w/ sweet tow rigs, that want to reduce fuel consumption by being able to drive and from. The last couple rigs I've built for myself had that same intent (even though I still tow them).

A few things I wanted to know:

- What does it take to get the t-cases dumped on the pass side ( would like to run a chevy 44 front so I can get 5.89's that or I can do a hybrid 9 or flip a 44 chunk

- Is this thing just going to fall on it's face on the hills or will the following combo be decent?

40" radials.... not sure what's going to be around when I start the build
17" kmc's
built 44 and 9 or 60... 1/2 ton brakes

I'll try to keep the weight down but it's going to be linked and c/o'd all around most likely. (I'm not using race scales... just for you mr. foster ;))

I'm just really liking the idea of a cab, probably just a reg cab truck. I want the 4 cyl for many reasons. I think I'd drive my jeep to the trail more in the summer if it wasn't so hot, but I like to tow because it's nice in the cab :) I think a taco would be a good compromise.... I could be comfortable on the way to the trail driving it.... somewhat fuel efficient.... and I won't get any speeding tickets :D
I'm running the 2.7 & 40" Creepy Crawlers on a full width hp44 and a 14 bolt with 5.38's and an auto with a 2.28 Marlin box. It isn't a race truck by any means, but it does pretty well. It'll do 90mph on the highway just like it did when it was a stock prerunner........ just takes a little longer to get it wound up that fast. I think the gear combo you have in mind would work pretty well. You'd need to either run an passenger drop Marlin or Inchworm to go with a cheby axle... it's been done by several others. I have been beating the piss out of my 44 with 38-40's for a little over 3 years and have only managed to break 2 crosspins in the aussie locker and blow a hub/twist splines on my long side chromos (trying to force it to climb an undercut)

......... and it's only been on a trailer once! :D

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
hey phil, marlins got a bellhousig so you can put a turbo or v6 5 speed behind the taco 4 banger...if you get the turbo(r151) you bolt up 23 spline dual gear driven cases to it and be done, if you get the v6(r150) youll need another adapter plate($349).

that taco 4 banger is alot more motor than the 22re's youve seen...

id love to see your tubing creativity on a tacoma! keep a thread going here please :beer:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Or another(and probably cheaper) option would be to locate a R155 bellhousing from behind a 2TRFE(new 2.7 05-08' 4cylinders) and it'll bolt right up to a R151 or R150 and then right up to the 3RZ in the Tacoma. I think the problem is just finding one. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I thought you could bolt a w56 and its t-cases behind a 2.7 if you used the original (w59?) bellhousing?

That motor will pull the 40's just fine, espeically with the gearing you're looking at.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I thought you could bolt a w56 and its t-cases behind a 2.7 if you used the original (w59?) bellhousing?

That motor will pull the 40's just fine, espeically with the gearing you're looking at.
Yep, w56 and the w59's have the same front case pattern.

Phil why don't you run a Tacoma with the 3.4l???

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, w56 and the w59's have the same front case pattern.

Phil why don't you run a Tacoma with the 3.4l???
I like my water and oil to remain seperate entities in my motor :D

Among other things there's more room to tuck cool things in and around the motor. I know where the spark plugs are :)

Got anything salvaged floating around the yard? Like one smashed in the back... or something w/ a perfect front end that nailed a 1' tall concrete wall tearing all the IFS and rear axle off but leaving the motor trans and t-case in perfect working order and the body in mint condition? :)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i think youre confusing the 3.0 v6 motor with the taco's 3.4...the 3.4 motor is a great motor with decent power and reliabilty thats starting to rival, or at least resemble, the 22r

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really... I had a few come through the shop over the years w/ the same issues as the 3.0..... not nearly as common though. 3.0's were weekly lol

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
itll be cool to see what you come up with phil, youve always been one with the tubing bender and an artists' pallet

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
itll be cool to see what you come up with phil, youve always been one with the tubing bender and an artists' pallet
thanks man I appreciate it. The key ingredient for this build is going to be one of two things. it's either getting a 2wd ford box run behind the axle w/ steering behind the axle, or an f-150 box w/ forward pointing pitman arm and front steering w/ the front end pushed out far :).... going to put a winch wherever I can and keep the approach around 90*

·
Registered
386 Posts

Among other things there's more room to tuck cool things in and around the motor. I know where the spark plugs are :)

Got anything salvaged floating around the yard? Like one smashed in the back... or something w/ a perfect front end that nailed a 1' tall concrete wall tearing all the IFS and rear axle off but leaving the motor trans and t-case in perfect working order and the body in mint condition? :)

I will keep an eye out for you, You stuck on a reg cab or would a x cab work also?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts