Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much made up my mind that im going to add a klune v unit between my 435 and 205... so what do you guys think ? Should i use the 4:1 unit or the 2.72:1 unit ? I know the 4:1 is weaker than the 2.72 and it is not recommended for fullsizes...

Heres my specs.. TJ w/ I-6 , np435 6.69 low , np205 , 70 rear , 60 front with 5.13's and 42's.. right now im at about 68:1 reduction..and it sucks!
:flipoff2:

This is what really interests me in the 4:1 unit...

34:1 in High range in both cases
69:1 w/ klune High , 205 Low
137:1 w/ klune Low, 205 High
275:1 w/ both cases in Low

Not to mention w/ either version i can clock my rock dragging 205 up into my floorboards :D

Think it'll hold up ?

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Im basically just wondering if anyone has heard bad things about running the 4:1 in a heavy jeep...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What I have seen about them as well as thier website....you wont have an issue with the 4:1 box.

Go 4 it!! :D

and if you do just know I'll hate ya for it :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Is klune talking about heavy rigs or high horse power/torque rigs? I'd give them a call and try to clarify with them.

If you're running a stock or near stock 4.0, then the only increase in torque the klune would see is the 435 swap. So the increase would be 235*4 (940) vs 235*6.69 (1572), or about 600ft-lbs over a stock TJ type setup.

I'd think they are talking about full-sizes in reference to a big block with 450lb-ft or more of torque hooking up with a similar trans and trying to put 3000lb-ft through the klune.

Like I said, I'd call and clarify your setup and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Azzy2000 said:

275:1 w/ both cases in Low
Personally I don't see the need for it. Sounds more of a pissing contest to me. Get the 2.7 and be done with it. It'll still be more than any one person needs.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The 2.7 is about pointless, thats really like having 2 of the same low ranges (closer with stock Jeeps but still not a big enough difference IMO) with the 4:1 you at least get the option of 3 different low range ratios 1.96, 4, and 7.84:1.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Go for the 4:1, if your spending the cash, do it once & do it right.

I believe the statements about the Klune are true, the 4:1 isnt designed for big horse power and big torque motors, not big heavy trucks.

It would be fine behind the 4.0/435. The thoughts of 3 different low ranges are very appealing.

What kind of wheelbase are you running?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
e-mail me if this isnt enough [email protected]

i am running a 60/70 with 5.86 gears. 44 swampers. 999 automatic with a 2.74 1st gear. dana 300 2.63 along with the 4-1 klune. I have a 97 tj 4.0 with a 6-1 header and k/n filter.......I love it. theres a wall in katmecy 7 foot tall 70 percent grade. I can idle up onto the face of it with my automatic. last wekend at las cruces with my rear tires wet i went up the last waterfall on habenero falls without loosing grip once let alone spinning at tire. when i bought it 3 years ago. i waned the versatilty of 1-1,2.63-1 and 4-1 i never figured how much i would use the 10.52-1. i have had several cases where guys couldnt get into an obstacle because it was a little wet and they would spin. i lock all the cases in and creep right through the obstacle like it wasnt there. of course with a 44 by 18.5 foot print and 4 lbs of air it just grabs traction like a dozer and keeps pushing. the hardest part is figuring out what you can Klune and what you need to have a little momentum for...how slow can you go!!!!!
ps to all you non believers :flipoff2:

Mike

Http://www.blacksheep4x4.com

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
uglyscout said:
Go with the 4:1.

Why consider the 2.72:1 when you could swap in a 203 reduction box to the 205 and be almost to same point as the higher range klune-v.
exactly.. thank you :D

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: 2.72 or 4:1 Klune V ?

big97redtj said:

Personally I don't see the need for it. Sounds more of a pissing contest to me. Get the 2.7 and be done with it. It'll still be more than any one person needs.
Not really.. its called options. I like the fact that i could have 4 different ranges to go with.. anywhere from speed runs in sand, to ledges in cruces.. why get the 2.7 ? I might as well do a doubler kit like uglyscout said. If i can, ill get the 4:1 , i like options

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chevy40 said:
If you have a 32sp. ford 205 your only choice is a 2.72 klune.
The 4:1 doesn't have a 32sp. input.
i was told different earlier by a sales rep... they said an adapter from AA can be used to clear that up.. i will call again to make sure though , thanks

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
billyji said:
e-mail me if this isnt enough [email protected]

i am running a 60/70 with 5.86 gears. 44 swampers. 999 automatic with a 2.74 1st gear. dana 300 2.63 along with the 4-1 klune. I have a 97 tj 4.0 with a 6-1 header and k/n filter.......I love it. theres a wall in katmecy 7 foot tall 70 percent grade. I can idle up onto the face of it with my automatic. last wekend at las cruces with my rear tires wet i went up the last waterfall on habenero falls without loosing grip once let alone spinning at tire. when i bought it 3 years ago. i waned the versatilty of 1-1,2.63-1 and 4-1 i never figured how much i would use the 10.52-1. i have had several cases where guys couldnt get into an obstacle because it was a little wet and they would spin. i lock all the cases in and creep right through the obstacle like it wasnt there. of course with a 44 by 18.5 foot print and 4 lbs of air it just grabs traction like a dozer and keeps pushing. the hardest part is figuring out what you can Klune and what you need to have a little momentum for...how slow can you go!!!!!
ps to all you non believers :flipoff2:

Mike

Http://www.blacksheep4x4.com

Thanks for the feedback man.. Nice pics. i plan on going up to katemcy as soon as i get my rig dialed in... You guys planning a run anytime soon ? :D

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YJ4RoX said:
Go for the 4:1, if your spending the cash, do it once & do it right.

I believe the statements about the Klune are true, the 4:1 isnt designed for big horse power and big torque motors, not big heavy trucks.

It would be fine behind the 4.0/435. The thoughts of 3 different low ranges are very appealing.

What kind of wheelbase are you running?
Sounds good to me.. i talked to a rep earlier, they said basically the same thing.

103" wheelbase at the moment

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have had no problem with my 4:1 Klune in a 5000lb scout and a 392 V 8. Beat it good sometimes too.;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Azzy2000 said:

i was told different earlier by a sales rep... they said an adapter from AA can be used to clear that up.. i will call again to make sure though , thanks
I'm just finishing up a 435 / klune 2.7 / atlas 4.3 setup in my Bronco. I originally was going to go with the setup that you are talking about. But decided to go with the Atlas instead of the 205.

" from the klunev web site" The 4.0 Ratio Model Planetary Gear Driven Underdrive is
Available with 21 and 23 spline input
Available with 21,23,27,31,32,6 spline male and 10 spline female output

Use the AA adapter for the 435, it comes with a replacement main shaft that is 23 spline output. It also shortens the adapter down to 4.25" between the trany & the klune unit. The 4.0 unit is avaiable with the correct out put for your 205. You will have to get the spacer to go between the klune and the 205 for the shift rails to clear. From the back of the 435 case to the front of your 205 should be about, 4.25"(adapter) 6.5"(klune) 1"(spacer) & 1/4"(mounting foot if used) total 12".

This is what I ended up having, it only put me about 3" longer than the stock 435/d20 adapter.

The setup should work good for you and it does give you a lot of options.

Tazz

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tazz said:

I'm just finishing up a 435 / klune 2.7 / atlas 4.3 setup in my Bronco. I originally was going to go with the setup that you are talking about. But decided to go with the Atlas instead of the 205.

" from the klunev web site" The 4.0 Ratio Model Planetary Gear Driven Underdrive is
Available with 21 and 23 spline input
Available with 21,23,27,31,32,6 spline male and 10 spline female output

Use the AA adapter for the 435, it comes with a replacement main shaft that is 23 spline output. It also shortens the adapter down to 4.25" between the trany & the klune unit. The 4.0 unit is avaiable with the correct out put for your 205. You will have to get the spacer to go between the klune and the 205 for the shift rails to clear. From the back of the 435 case to the front of your 205 should be about, 4.25"(adapter) 6.5"(klune) 1"(spacer) & 1/4"(mounting foot if used) total 12".

This is what I ended up having, it only put me about 3" longer than the stock 435/d20 adapter.

The setup should work good for you and it does give you a lot of options.

Tazz
Great info.. thank you Tazz. I also checked out klunes website and found some more info on the AA kit as well as a picture.. I was worried about how much longer the drivetrain would get...
3" i can definately live with ( no crude jokes please :flipoff2: )

Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Chevy40 said:
If you have a 32sp. ford 205 your only choice is a 2.72 klune.
The 4:1 doesn't have a 32sp. input.
if you hae a 32 spline 205,its not from a ford :eek: ford only used 31 splines

indyguy,great pic :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts