Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Anyone have any info. I am trying to figure out what transmisison these are going to be running ( 5spd automatic ). I am guessing that they are running the same new mercedes auto as the grands? I hear that you can only get selectrac...will a NV24104 bolt in place of one of those? How long is the tranny? Pictures are always great!!!!

Any info would be appricated

·
33,755 Posts
Liberty's Diesel Drivetrain
Power Tech 2499cc, diesel, 4-cyl, turbocharged, 4-valves/cyl, dohc
bore: 92mm, stroke: 94mm, c.r.: 17.5:1
transmission: 5m/4a; diesel: NY231 Command Trac part-time 4WD (lo 2.72:1) diff 4.1:1;

Actually, the stricter emissions laws would actually encourage diesel use. "The United States could reduce its oil use by approximately 800 million gallons and carbon dioxide emissions by 8 million tons annually, if Americans purchased diesels at the same rate as Europeans... Diesels lead to up to a 30 percent improvement in fuel economy, while reducing carbon dioxide emissions an average of 20 percent... While there are legitimate concerns about the particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) exhaust from diesels, the introduction of high quality, low-sulfur diesel fuel will enable a reduction of these emissions "

Found here.
And Here

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
Very nice.

When this relates to wheeling, let me know, and I'll unlock it.

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
This is being re-opened at the request of Mieser.

He want's to talk about swapping one of these into a TJ... valid stuff.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I want swap info. I wonder if it has been done yet in europe? Anyone have an ideas?

·
33,755 Posts
I was actually thinking about that yesterday. It sounds like it has the option for the normal 5 speed transmission (NV3550) so that probably won't be an issue... and I'm sure the TJ has more underhood clearance than a Liberty (V6 vs I-6). Does anyone know the power stats on this diesel?

·
Registered
65 Posts
apeters89 said:
I was actually thinking about that yesterday. It sounds like it has the option for the normal 5 speed transmission (NV3550) so that probably won't be an issue... and I'm sure the TJ has more underhood clearance than a Liberty (V6 vs I-6). Does anyone know the power stats on this diesel?
The current EURO 2.5TD...the 2.7 MercedesTD ( Euro WJs )...or the 2.8TD for the 2004 Liberty???

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am interested in swaping the new 2.8L CRD 4cyl out of a liberty with an automatic transmission into a TJ.

It makes 148hp, and 266ft lbs stock. Looking around at the Euro sites you can get some good improvments to that with a chip for the motor. Something about 180-190hp and just about 300-325 lbs of torque. The smaller 2.7L 5cyl diesel that goes in the grand cherokee over there will make 198hp and 347 ft lbs on a chip :) Plus....they get 30mpg or better!!!

I would love to get the 5cyl 2.7, but since they are going to be importing the 2.8 4cyl in the liberty I am looking in to that the most.

My areas of concern are....

-Wiring. I have no idea? I am trying to get the FSM copied for these and sent to me. Or maybe if someone has it on CD?

-Transmission to transfer case. I would like to bolt up a 241-04 to the stock liberty automatic ( 5spd) and still have a rear driveshaft.

30mpg in a TJ would DOUBLE the mileage average.....that would be sweet for longer backcountry trips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Supposedly the Diesel is going to add $4000.00 to the price of a KJ. They are only supposed to produce 5,000 of them the first year. They are probably going to be hard to get. If they sell, they will probably diesel a TJ soon.

Tellico4x4 is selling a limited supply of the NVG 241s on thier website.

I'll take a 2.7 Diesel Dakar please! ( not holding my breath )

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Bringing this back to the top.

With gas prices obviously out of control, I wouldn't mind 25 mpg.

The NSG370 manual is being used in the 05 TJ's, so that should be a fairly simple swap. Now if I could just get my hands on a 2.8 CRD I'd be happy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also looked into this awhile ago for my TJ. While it seemed to be fairly straight forward using the NSG370 tranny, being in CA and still wanting to be street legal ended it for me. The Liberty 2.8 CRD is not legally available in CA. I am sure there are some ways around it but not knowing enough about the smog laws I put the idea on hold.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'd like to know what kind (if any) engine or emissions management is on the CRD. Hoping one wire, but obviously it would be more. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
IndyCJ said:
Bringing this back to the top.

With gas prices obviously out of control, I wouldn't mind 25 mpg.

The NSG370 manual is being used in the 05 TJ's, so that should be a fairly simple swap. Now if I could just get my hands on a 2.8 CRD I'd be happy.
Problem is that NSG 370 is only rated for 260lbs of torque. The CRD's that are here in Canada are said to put out 350lbs of torque. I dont know if U.S. models would be tuned down for emissions, or if they would be the same as we get here.

Apparently thats why they only come with the 5 speed auto.

Our dealerships here cant keep them in stock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If your interested in getting a 2.8l CRD call Dave 916-374-9536. He had one he was trying to sell for $3500.00. It would need a ECU from a liberty but was complete other than that. It will also bolt up to an ax-15

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes Liberty 2.8L CRD WILL bolt up to an AX15 or an NV3550 with a Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 bellhousing. I'm also told you'll need to order an "export" flywheel.

Greg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gregg,

U got any more info on this engine? What year Jeep Liberty's? And more info about swapping a AX15 to it...

Hey what's needed to adapt the AX15 to a Toyota 23 spline gear driven T case? Or the 89-95 chain driven T case behind the R150F?

Thanks,

JR

1 - 20 of 31 Posts