Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a really good donor rig with a 2.9L motor, my research shows to get a c5 and it can be squeezed into my zook. Anyone with pics or more info on this swap? I want to keep my zook tcase as it is already fully built.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
I have a 2.3 and c4, yes they can be crammed in with minor trans tunnel work

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done alot of research on it bronco and am pulling the 2.9 out right now. I though have not seen yet what people have done for connecting the C5 output to the sammi tcase, I image I will be building a short driveline, Typically whenever I have to do tunnel work I cut a section out of the tunnel and build a new removable tunnel to make life easier down the road for repairs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did more research using your build and found more photo's did you use a single or double joint set up from your trans to tcase? Do recall where you got or what parts you used for your slip yoke coupler?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
You will need a 2wd Trans. And then you could use that vehicles driveshaft and have it super shortened. So stock parts from a 2wd ranger or whatever vehicle this motor is from

·
Registered
835 Posts
My first motor swap: it was a ford 2.8v6 with a c4 & stock transfercase. 120 ish hp, it worked really well for me until the engine died a slow painful death. It was a stupid simple swap as far as v6 swaps go. I bought motor mounts from wild west off-road, and followed their detailed instructions. I am not sure if they are even still around. this was 20 years ago.

ford 2.8 v6 by chad reschly, on Flickr

After my 2.8 died, i swapped to a ford 4.0. Here is a couple of pictures in progress. Note how I did the transmission. It is a short shaft c4. it is found(if memory serves me), in late 60's, early 70's 1/2 ton van's, and maybe trucks also. What I did was a used a c4 transmission housing and bell from a 78ish mustang II, I then used the tail shaft and clutch packs from the short shaft c4. The short shaft c4 is easily identified as it has a bolt on rear yolk. it is also very short.

2 001 by chad reschly, on Flickr
2 004 by chad reschly, on Flickr
2 011 by chad reschly, on Flickr

I have since switched to dual toyota tcases with a few expensive adapters, I also used a c5(instead of the c4), and used the c4 valve body and torque conveter. here is a few pictures of that. don't mind the mess, that is just how I roll.

CIMG0007 by chad reschly, on Flickr

Here is the old tailshaft next to the new setup.

CIMG0009 by chad reschly, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts