Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you run 2" BDS springs SOA (on a YJ) with 1ton running gear? Happy with the performance???

I like that I can get two for the price of one RE 1.5 SOA and a life time warranty to boot....

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
I am in the process of replaceing mine with something else. The first set I had on there worked for 3 years with no problems. They started to show a bend from the axle wrap so I replaced them. (why not there lifetime gaurenteed) The next set lasted about 3 hrs in moab. And the next set lasted about 4 hrs on Foradice. I have spoke with BDS and they are willing to replace them again but they swear nothing has changed with there springs.:shaking:

Now in there defence I do not run a traction or anti wrap bar, but then again I never did. Also nothing else has changed in my Jeep, same tires, axles, engine, driver. Oh I did put in a new High Angle driveline to replace my Tom Woods unit.

So you tell me, do you think they changed something in their springs (supplier, material, manufacturing technich)? Because I used to love them and now I'm looking for something else.

If your set on the BDS you can have mine, for a fair price, after I get them replaced again. :D

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Bro and I both run 2" BDS... Personally I think they are too tall so I just spent a month frenching the hell out of my frame, chopped the rear frame to make it go straight back, more shackle angle to lower it some, and pulling the bottom leaf. I am sure my bro will chime in with pics of his with 38x12.50's. I have 38.5x14.50's. Don't mind the different paint colors...rolled the jeep and just tossed other random parts on for now...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
With 42's you should be around the right height (ish) I would say pmaddy...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
This is partially how I am getting mine lower with the 2" springs:

Also going to pull the bottom leaf once I get new u-bolts, mine are out of thread that low...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I could bend up the 2" BDS springs in a weekend in the rear and kill the front ones after a month 3+ years ago. After the 3rd set I talked to BDS and they told me the 2" springs only being a small 4 leaf pack would not hold up to the heavy Jeep, V8 and SOA and said I needed a 5 leaf pack be it the 2" springs with a helper spring or the 3 1/2" pack that has 5 leavs.

Well the 3 1/2" springs started out a little tall but have sagged out to a ok height and I did bend the rears one more time before I put a anti rap bar on it. After 3+ years the srings may not have much left in them.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah I actually bent two of those springs with only one wheeling trip and a 4.0L/AX15 and my old bald 38's... I had no traction bar though so I blame that, and I am ruff on my stuff... Was breaking 2 waggy springs per trip before (usually lasted 20-30 mins tops). Atleast the BDS springs haven't broke right off...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I bent the BDS YJ springs three times. Since switching to BDS CJ springs, I have yet to bend one. I am still running the YJ springs in front with no problems. And I am still not running a trac bar. Maybe I will if I ever get that stroked 5.0 HO in there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My issue is I seem to be good at bending the RE 1.5 and there is no warranty whatsoever. Can't imagine ow pricey Alcan springs must be - thats why I wonder if the BDS will work - not sounding good from this thread.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it seems they all bend/break eventually.... do I go $155 (RE)per spring or $63 (BDS) Really do like the way the RE's flex....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
BDS have a warranty. If you bend it, they will replace it. I have had 3 replaced at no cost.:D But like I said, CJ springs haven't bent for me.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think the CJ's are actually 2.5". But with CJ's in the rear and YJ's in the front it still sits level. The YJ's are softer, thus easier to bend.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
HEEPJEEP, can you give me some specs on your Jeep? D60 and 14BFF are they narrowed and how much? And your wheels, the H1's appear to NOT be recentered in the pics...correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Full width axles, no narrowing. The rims are not recentered. I am running WFO-concepts arms to clear the rims and tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts