Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you run 2" BDS springs SOA (on a YJ) with 1ton running gear? Happy with the performance???

I like that I can get two for the price of one RE 1.5 SOA and a life time warranty to boot....

·
FOF
2,449 Posts
I am in the process of replaceing mine with something else. The first set I had on there worked for 3 years with no problems. They started to show a bend from the axle wrap so I replaced them. (why not there lifetime gaurenteed) The next set lasted about 3 hrs in moab. And the next set lasted about 4 hrs on Foradice. I have spoke with BDS and they are willing to replace them again but they swear nothing has changed with there springs.:shaking:

Now in there defence I do not run a traction or anti wrap bar, but then again I never did. Also nothing else has changed in my Jeep, same tires, axles, engine, driver. Oh I did put in a new High Angle driveline to replace my Tom Woods unit.

So you tell me, do you think they changed something in their springs (supplier, material, manufacturing technich)? Because I used to love them and now I'm looking for something else.

If your set on the BDS you can have mine, for a fair price, after I get them replaced again. :D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bro and I both run 2" BDS... Personally I think they are too tall so I just spent a month frenching the hell out of my frame, chopped the rear frame to make it go straight back, more shackle angle to lower it some, and pulling the bottom leaf. I am sure my bro will chime in with pics of his with 38x12.50's. I have 38.5x14.50's. Don't mind the different paint colors...rolled the jeep and just tossed other random parts on for now...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This is partially how I am getting mine lower with the 2" springs:

Also going to pull the bottom leaf once I get new u-bolts, mine are out of thread that low...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I could bend up the 2" BDS springs in a weekend in the rear and kill the front ones after a month 3+ years ago. After the 3rd set I talked to BDS and they told me the 2" springs only being a small 4 leaf pack would not hold up to the heavy Jeep, V8 and SOA and said I needed a 5 leaf pack be it the 2" springs with a helper spring or the 3 1/2" pack that has 5 leavs.

Well the 3 1/2" springs started out a little tall but have sagged out to a ok height and I did bend the rears one more time before I put a anti rap bar on it. After 3+ years the srings may not have much left in them.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah I actually bent two of those springs with only one wheeling trip and a 4.0L/AX15 and my old bald 38's... I had no traction bar though so I blame that, and I am ruff on my stuff... Was breaking 2 waggy springs per trip before (usually lasted 20-30 mins tops). Atleast the BDS springs haven't broke right off...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I bent the BDS YJ springs three times. Since switching to BDS CJ springs, I have yet to bend one. I am still running the YJ springs in front with no problems. And I am still not running a trac bar. Maybe I will if I ever get that stroked 5.0 HO in there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My issue is I seem to be good at bending the RE 1.5 and there is no warranty whatsoever. Can't imagine ow pricey Alcan springs must be - thats why I wonder if the BDS will work - not sounding good from this thread.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BDS have a warranty. If you bend it, they will replace it. I have had 3 replaced at no cost.:D But like I said, CJ springs haven't bent for me.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the CJ's are actually 2.5". But with CJ's in the rear and YJ's in the front it still sits level. The YJ's are softer, thus easier to bend.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Full width axles, no narrowing. The rims are not recentered. I am running WFO-concepts arms to clear the rims and tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.