Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a new "hobby" compressor, price range is $1000 or less. A local ranch supply store sells Puma brand and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I see the Puma Model # TE6580V is listed for $999 at Northern Tool. Not sure what it is in-store yet but my Dad qualify's for their senior 20% off on Tuesdays or something, so hopefully that would apply towards one of these. Rated at 14.6 CFM at 175 PSI, 4.5 running HP, 12,000 hour raing.

Are there any other two stage air compressors in the same range anyone would recommend? Quincy would be nice but looks like their cheapest is $1500.

I found a Bel Aire brand compressor, model #216V thats in that price range but not sure anyone local deals in them. I've emailed the company to see. I couldn't find anything negative about them either.

I've got a small plasma cutter, die grinder and will maybe someday get a blasting cabinet. We've got a deisel 4 cyl trailer compressor if the going gets tough so I don't need one that can run a jack hammer. My current compressor is a joke, cheap 20 gallon "3 hp".

·
Registered
20 Posts
nice rigs... quite a number of compressors in the 5 hp range use a magnetic
starter, certainly any of the 7 hp and up do.. pressure switch only isn't really rated for anything above 3 hp... just sayin' :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I like shopping on Craigslist for air compressors. Any auto body shop that goes out of business will usually have great equipment at good prices. I'll take a chance on used....you can size up the owner of the equipment by talking with them for a few minutes, and look at the condition of the machine and pretty much tell if it was maintained adequately.

Jim

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like shopping on Craigslist for air compressors. Any auto body shop that goes out of business will usually have great equipment at good prices. I'll take a chance on used....you can size up the owner of the equipment by talking with them for a few minutes, and look at the condition of the machine and pretty much tell if it was maintained adequately.

Jim
Been looking a very long time for a good used unit, nothing seems to pop up around here thats worth a second look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You have to be patient and watch craigslists and ebay. I found an 3 phase Ingersoll Rand T-30 on ebay about an hour from me, got it for $250. Then a new 7.hp single phase motor for $425. Rewired the starter for single phase for $20, new plug $8. Just need a new filter/regulator and I should have all the air compressor I'll ever need.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to be patient and watch craigslists and ebay. I found an 3 phase Ingersoll Rand T-30 on ebay about an hour from me, got it for $250. Then a new 7.hp single phase motor for $425. Rewired the starter for single phase for $20, new plug $8. Just need a new filter/regulator and I should have all the air compressor I'll ever need.
Not bad advice but I've been actively looking over 2 years now, I'm in a pretty rural area and that doesn't help.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I bet either would be fine. If you could get the Puma for $800 that'd be sweet.

I bought Craftsman's 80gallon unit back around '03. It's been pretty damn good. Craftsman has probably re-done their compressor line 3 times since, so I don't know how the current version would compare. I do know I combined a sale price back w the good ol' days of Craftsman Club members getting 10% off anything Craftsman for a price of $765.

I feel your pain on CL. Don't worry, once you buy three better used compressors will come up. Very nice Campbell Haufeld just came up here......100% duty cycle, 21+ cfm, guy claims low hours. $850. I want to buy it just 'cause I think my Craftsman is gonna die at the worst possible time.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Any of those would be fine for what you want. In my research I did not read anything bad about either if those brands. I agree about craigs list, look further away. I found a new 80 gallon 2 stage for $300. It had been dropped, It took $75 to fix.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bel Aire is out, they responded this morning and their closest dealer is over 200 miles away. Nice that they got right back to me though.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also the local Puma dealer has that model TE6580V in store for $899.99. If the senior 20% discount applies, thats $720 out the door.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did stumble on to a used air compressor. We noticed today while out and about that a friend of ours had this out in his field. It was a spare he had at his shop when he owned a construction company.

The compressor is a Binks but what I've found is the pump is just a rebadged Quincy. The bad news is that it's the smallest 2-stage they build, the Model 310. Rated at 9.35 CFM at 175 PSI. The motor he said was recently replaced, not sure if that was used, rebuilt or new but it's plenty large at 19A.

This is better than the little turd of a compressor I am using now but a bit short of the 15 or so CFM I'm wanting. My main need is my little die grinder, which 10 CFM should be enough. I do a little automotive painting, DA sanding etc. I'm sure this will get me by for now and if we get a sand blaster I'll just figure on using our diesel compressor.

I'm not sure yet if it runs, it's been sitting outside for a little while, it was under a tarp before it blew off so I'll tinker with it when I have some time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought Craftsman's 80gallon unit back around '03. It's been pretty damn good. Craftsman has probably re-done their compressor line 3 times since, so I don't know how the current version would compare. I do know I combined a sale price back w the good ol' days of Craftsman Club members getting 10% off anything Craftsman for a price of $765.
Stay away from craftsman, their quality has gone to shiot . We got a craftsman Professional 2 stage compressor a couple years ago (the best one they had in there, we wanted one that would last), the performance sucks, the quality sucks and the warranty sucks. The motor went out in under a year, and they wouldn't fix it. We got a quote on how much it would cost to fix it and it was almost as much as the compressor cost. We ended up putting a brand new motor in our selves and it's starting to act up again like the original one did before it died. :mad3:

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If you're going to spend over $1k I'd go right to a Quincy, I'm not impressed with IR.
I'm really glad to read that as I just passed on a IR for a Quincy right before Christmas. It's the 5hp 80 gallon and it is badass compared to the kobalt it replaced. Super quiet and stays ahead of my blasting cabinet easily. It was nearly double the op's budget but I think the 60 gallon is still in the 1500 range.

edit, yeah, I didn't click the link before posting that. lol.

The cheapest place I found for the Quincys was at Big R. Beat Air compressors direct by $200 even after sales tax.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I think i'm back hunting again. I forgot about my automotive painting interests, I have an HVLP paint gun and now see that they are pretty hungry for CFM. So far I've only painted a couple old farm tractors so I didn't have a need for as constant of CFM since doing one of those is a bit more sporatic. Doing something like a car however is going to be constant and using a smaller sized compressor won't cut it in most cases.

I might look at getting a used 3-phase compressor and get a 3-phase rotary converter. There are a lot of nice looking used 3-phase compressors not too far away, I just wasn't considering them since I don't have 3-phase.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Where in Eastern Oregon are you? Do you have an Oxarc nearby? I picked up an Atlas Copco unit from them that's a 5hp oil bath putting out 15 CFM at 100 psi I believe it is, thinking 175 max psi-forget honestly. I have a Thermal Dynamics 52 plasma and it is plenty for that, works great. I got a killer deal on mine as I do a lot of business with them. If you have one nearby and do much business with them, you should get an attractive price for this unit. Specs are very similar to the Quincy setup but the price was MUCH better. I believe they're a rebadged or sister unit to Bel-Aire. Could be wrong on that, but think that's what I remember. Might be worth a shot. I'm heading there again tomorrow or Wednesday and can check what the going rate is if you like.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I might look at getting a used 3-phase compressor and get a 3-phase rotary converter. There are a lot of nice looking used 3-phase compressors not too far away, I just wasn't considering them since I don't have 3-phase.
It *will* work and of course the RPC will open up a world of possibilities for you...........but it's somewhat inconvenient IMO. I wouldn't want to have to flip on my RPC each time I want my compressor to run, and I wouldn't want to leave it running the ENTIRE time I'm in the shop.

I think you'd be ahead to put a single phase motor on the compressor.

I've also read write-ups about changing the pulley size on the compressor for faster recovery, offsetting this with dropping your pressure switch down. Makes a lot of sense to me, when do we ever need 175psi?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where in Eastern Oregon are you? Do you have an Oxarc nearby? I picked up an Atlas Copco unit from them that's a 5hp oil bath putting out 15 CFM at 100 psi I believe it is, thinking 175 max psi-forget honestly. I have a Thermal Dynamics 52 plasma and it is plenty for that, works great. I got a killer deal on mine as I do a lot of business with them. If you have one nearby and do much business with them, you should get an attractive price for this unit. Specs are very similar to the Quincy setup but the price was MUCH better. I believe they're a rebadged or sister unit to Bel-Aire. Could be wrong on that, but think that's what I remember. Might be worth a shot. I'm heading there again tomorrow or Wednesday and can check what the going rate is if you like.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Yes, I see there is an Oxarc in Hermiston and I'll be headed that way tomorrow. I'll do some research on that brand and see what current models/prices are. Thanks!

I wouldn't want to have to flip on my RPC each time I want my compressor to run, and I wouldn't want to leave it running the ENTIRE time I'm in the shop.

I think you'd be ahead to put a single phase motor on the compressor.

I've also read write-ups about changing the pulley size on the compressor for faster recovery, offsetting this with dropping your pressure switch down. Makes a lot of sense to me, when do we ever need 175psi?
What would be wrong with leaving it on while you're in the shop? It's only attached to the circuit the compressor is on right? If that is the case, I have a dedicated circuit just for my air compressor.

Changing the motor is another option, a 5 HP is around $300 and a 7.5 HP is over $500 from what I see on ebay. If I bought a converter it would allow me to add other 3-phase stuff down the road, which might be nice cause you never know.

Having more PSI in the tank allows the compressor to run less. If you're running tools at 100 PSI they can run that much longer with out the motor kicking on. Bigger tanks helps too. I think smaller pulley, lower pressure will work but shortens the life of your pump and the more it runs the more moisture you have to deal with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts