Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
The old 2 stroke detroits used to scare the shit out of me when first starting them after running the rack (adjusting the injectors and governor), fuck those things :laughing:. I only worked on them in school long ago. We had a few start and run up against the governor, talk about everyone ducking for cover in the shop when that happened. We always had someone manning the shutoff disk (plywood disk with a handle) big enough to cover the intake when we cranked them over. Those fawkers shake so much they all leak oil, but seem amazingly reliable. I've only seen them in marine applications and a few old skidders. Seeing one in a running truck now days is pretty cool :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Gets real interesting when it happens. I've been present for two instances. Was driving during the one. First time driving I made the mistake of lugging the engine going up a hill in West Virginia. It backfired, rolled backwardsand all of a sudden we were accelerating down the hill. I got it stopped and finally was able to stall the damn thing out. Took me about 20 minutes to pry the seat cushion out of my ass so I could check the truck over. Old timer stopped to check on us and gave me the golden advice to run it like you want it to blow up. That old dump truck is still running up and down the mountains on the Ohio/West Virginia line.
First was with a twin stick in a of mack pulling a lowboy with dozer (d11?) On board across a oi field

Whole lotsa wtfs that day

Ah the good old days

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Would this be a good solution...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
I'd take it over a CAT.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
She's gone from blow to suck!

My favorite way to describe the cycles of a 4 cycle engine isn't intake-compression-power-exhaust; it's suck-squeeze-bang-blow. :laughing:

I've always wondered bout shutoff plates, butterflies failing or sucking air through broken gaskets and being unable to shutoff a runaway...

Plumb a fire suppression system, maybe even a handheld halon(or CO2) extinguisher with a hose extension to intake tract (like you would a before throttle blade intake nitrous nozzle). Have a runaway, trigger the extinguisher, it kills the combustion event, you don't risk sucking anything into the intake, you don't have the situation where you activate the plate or valve and it doesn't quite cut off enough air. Plus you're not sucking all the intake seals to death.

Whaddayathink?
Interesting idea. I'd think CO2 might work as long as the temp of the gas going in isn't cold enough to flat out crack or shatter things. I'd be interested to run some tests. Any other gas that can deploy from a compressed state quickly enough without drastically lowering the temp of the engine could work I would think, but the only gas I know of that doesn't drop in temp, is acetylene. That one likes to increase in temperature and probably wouldn't help much in a runaway, depending on your definition of "help". :eek: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
My favorite way to describe the cycles of a 4 cycle engine isn't intake-compression-power-exhaust; it's suck-squeeze-bang-blow. :laughing:

Interesting idea. I'd think CO2 might work as long as the temp of the gas going in isn't cold enough to flat out crack or shatter things. I'd be interested to run some tests. Any other gas that can deploy from a compressed state quickly enough without drastically lowering the temp of the engine could work I would think, but the only gas I know of that doesn't drop in temp, is acetylene. That one likes to increase in temperature and probably wouldn't help much in a runaway, depending on your definition of "help". :eek: :laughing:
Damn Boyles law of gases.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet. Other than that, there are no leaks other than the coolant leak I found. It is leaking coolant just sitting there.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

Whaddayathink?

I've thought about that before. I keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy after I do any work on my IDI just for that reason. I'm not sure how well it wil work, but no o2 = no fire at the end of the day.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
When a 2 stroke diesel runs backwards,the intake and exhaust still function normally. The direction that the crank turns makes no difference.

The only issue I'm aware of is the oil pump may be direction sensitive.
you're an idiot who talks about shit he has NO FUCKING CLUE ABOUT

the blower is driven off the timing gears and is the only thing moving air through the engine
so yes it'll smoke out the air cleaner
and if you load it down hard it'll scuff up the rotors from the heat of pumping exhaust

ETA: but yeah the oil pump don't work going backwards either

·
Registered
397 Posts
If u think 71 or 92 series scare you, listen to a 53 series 4000+ rpm twin turbos the first time I heard 1 its was n a boat when they ran the throttle up a ran away...there Sweet engines if u can find them after rebuilding a hand full of them..always go back with genuine Detroit parts not FP ..we have 15 running 12V71 in our boats and spares on the shelf

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
We have three Michigan 35 aws loaders with 3-53 engines in them Rebuilt one of them quite a few years back. It had a few lifters with the rollers not rolling, and an exhaust valve bridge broken on one cylinder. Still ran pretty decent, but runs a hell of a lot better now after being rebuilt!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Detroit's in construction equipment is very annoying do to the fact they are two stroke and sound like they are spinning twice the RPMS of 4 stroke Diesels...
Detroit powered excavators are especially annoying with dual exhausts...

In the beginning of Saving Private Ryan you can hear the exhaust sound of the Detroit powered landing craft...200,000 DD's were made during WW2 powering all sorts of stuff..
I've driven 238 HP Detroit powered 10 wheel trucks, go like hell until the road goes up hill...

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet.
Air box drains for oil that may collect there. Normal from what I had been told.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Ok, is it an issue that there is a drip every 10 seconds or so when it is sitting at idle. I think it is only coming out of one side.
there's a reason they're called slobber tubes.

I wouldn't worry about it unless there's an excessive amount of smoke and a near steady stream of oil.

I'd actually check the one that isn't dripping. They must remain open and unobstructed, or oil will collect in the airbox, and then the motor will ingest it. IIRC there's some check valves that regulate the pressure in there and controls the flow.
but it's been a while since I laid hands on a DD.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts