Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Here and I thought the 1200 was idle, and they ran up to 1800 when loaded.
Just running a compressor in the original application.

Yours turning 1200, wonder how they got 60hz out of it, maybe a 3 pole generator? :confused:
I believe they were 3 phase and 6 poles? Does that work out?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Ach, I dun did da math wrong
6 pole is 1200, I was thinking 1 less than 4 rather than 1 set more than 4

Was just remembering an anecdote from an old guy who worked on railroad stuff, said the load sensing bit would go bad and that they'd fix them by wiring the governor lever to the "high speed" position for both unloaded and loaded operation. The 1200 was idle and the 1800 was when the load came on. Making me think that they came set up with a generator built for 1800 RPM use causing confusion when he said his ran at 1200.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ach, I dun did da math wrong
6 pole is 1200, I was thinking 1 less than 4 rather than 1 set more than 4

Was just remembering an anecdote from an old guy who worked on railroad stuff, said the load sensing bit would go bad and that they'd fix them by wiring the governor lever to the "high speed" position for both unloaded and loaded operation. The 1200 was idle and the 1800 was when the load came on. Making me think that they came set up with a generator built for 1800 RPM use causing confusion when he said his ran at 1200.
I think they would slow down the engine to reduce the frequency to slow the motors down to maintain temps and reduce fuel usage. Odd setup but they run for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Hah that's awesome! Great minds think alike. You weren't at the WOG rally 2017 in GA by chance were you?
No, Mine is a repo unit I bought cheap ,however it sat for a while and have been working on getting it sorted, ( new batteries(11) new chargers, refrigerator, tires ect.) we are almost done though

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Here and I thought the 1200 was idle, and they ran up to 1800 when loaded.
Just running a compressor in the original application.

Yours turning 1200, wonder how they got 60hz out of it, maybe a 3 pole generator? :confused:
Its a 3 phase unit, 20kw/25kva, a GE powerhead.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
No, Mine is a repo unit I bought cheap ,however it sat for a while and have been working on getting it sorted, ( new batteries(11) new chargers, refrigerator, tires ect.) we are almost done though
Why is it white? Primer? I like the white for some reason. I put a Chevy Volt battery in mine last summer. Now I can run a couple of A/Cs on battery power :) I've done so much work on it, but it's not done yet. I just did all the brakes, bags, wheel seals, and the fan motor. Expensive couple of weeks. I installed a Chevy Volt battery (16.5 kwh) and a big inverter last summer so I can run two A/C's from battery power :)

I went to the WOG rally in 2017 (without the bus) and it was pretty awesome and I'm planning on taking the bus this year. It's a long trip from Maine, but you should go!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Why is it white? Primer? I like the white for some reason. I put a Chevy Volt battery in mine last summer. Now I can run a couple of A/Cs on battery power :) I've done so much work on it, but it's not done yet. I just did all the brakes, bags, wheel seals, and the fan motor. Expensive couple of weeks. I installed a Chevy Volt battery (16.5 kwh) and a big inverter last summer so I can run two A/C's from battery power :)

I went to the WOG rally in 2017 (without the bus) and it was pretty awesome and I'm planning on taking the bus this year. It's a long trip from Maine, but you should go!
This one is an ex NASCAR team rv, it was painted white to facilitate a wrap for the team. I like it white too , looks good with the polished aluminum and its nice and cool at the track too ( I screw around with the SCCA in a GTL car)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surprised to see a 2 stroke thread on here. I have many of these, some in pickups some in semis. Great engine.

The engine is surprisingly clean. It does leak oil out of one of the tubes that come from the side of the engine there is one tube on each side. I'm not sure what the purpose of that tube is yet. Other than that, there are no leaks other than the coolant leak I found. It is leaking coolant just sitting there.
Those are airbox drains (slobber tubes). As the engine runs the blower pumps air into a large cavity in the center of the block called the airbox. This is where the ports in the liners are. As it runs the piston passes those liner ports and over time the airbox accumulates combustion byproducts oil/fuel/etc and this needs to have a place to be drained. That is what those tubes are. The more you idle this engine the more it will slobber from those tubes. The reason for this is because they don't make enough heat at idle because they move so much air and can actually glaze cylinders. This is why the slobber cleans up after you run them hard with a good load, it actually removes the glaze and reseats the rings. Most guys think they leak oil, but most don't it's just as designed slobber from the slobber tubes. Love the ol pete nice to see one out there still working!

Here's a few of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfkv5_gKHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4WT0fbod4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOl4grMj8Xg

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Surprised to see a 2 stroke thread on here. I have many of these, some in pickups some in semis. Great engine.

Those are airbox drains (slobber tubes). As the engine runs the blower pumps air into a large cavity in the center of the block called the airbox. This is where the ports in the liners are. As it runs the piston passes those liner ports and over time the airbox accumulates combustion byproducts oil/fuel/etc and this needs to have a place to be drained. That is what those tubes are. The more you idle this engine the more it will slobber from those tubes. The reason for this is because they don't make enough heat at idle because they move so much air and can actually glaze cylinders. This is why the slobber cleans up after you run them hard with a good load, it actually removes the glaze and reseats the rings. Most guys think they leak oil, but most don't it's just as designed slobber from the slobber tubes. Love the ol pete nice to see one out there still working!

Here's a few of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfkv5_gKHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4WT0fbod4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOl4grMj8Xg
Cool vids! Do you think my rack needs adjusted? Someone suggested that in my youtube comments, mostly due to the excessive lope on start up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fuel shut-off should be a cable running to the engine governor. The cable you described that goes to the blower sounds to me like the air shut-off for runaways. It should be spring loaded to slap shut when the cable is pulled, and then you have to get out and re-set it by hand.
^^^ this guys got it.

I think on the V motors they had the governor behind the blower. Someone who knows for sure will be along shortly though.
depends on the v. 71 and 92 series single block Vs have the governor on the front of the engine. Dual block Vs 12v92, 24v71 etc the governor is in the middle but this doesn't apply to him. lol

Yup. My 6v53N has the governer behind the blower
53 was the only v series to have a rear mounted governor

So is everyone thinking that the cable going to the back of my 8v71 the fuel cut off? I can't find anything by searching google.
no it's going to be the air cut off. That red button on the dash should be your fuel shutoff and there is most likely an electronic solenoid mounted on the governor cover that actuates the fuel shutdown lever on said governor. If the red button doesn't shut it off tilt the cab and check the solenoid for power when the button is pushed. if there is power there then the solenoid is bad.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts