Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Almost all the tool rental places use four strokes

Go to a Home Depot and look at the power tools brands they sell, and them go into the rental department and look at the brands they rent .

NONE of the brands they sell are in the rental section.

Then ponder that for a while .

Reactions: Macneil

·
Registered
231 Posts
How long do you need to use it for? How often?

I switched to battery:

Works great, plenty of power, and lasts about 30-45 minutes of heavy use on a charge. Use it to clear the hillsides on my 3 acre lot, brush hog (husqy) for the flat parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As posted earlier look at a landscapers trailer, almost all of them use STIHL 4 stroke. All i had for 10 or 12 years now no comparison

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have both a 2 stroke and 4 stroke Stihl weed eater. The 2 stroke is about 20 years old. The 4 stroke is about 10 years old. Both start and run good, but the 4 stroke doesn’t spool up as well at the 2 stroke and seems to have less cutting power as a result, even though it has a larger displacement.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you go 4 cyl then I have found the Cub Cadet 30cc 330 to be decent and I use it a lot. Does awesome with the STihl 8" brush cutting blade. The machine is on the heavy side, BUT, does well running two extensions, because I hate bending over while cutting. Though I did have to properly tune it.

Otherwise I would recommend 80v Atlas or Greenworks 82v.

If you want to buy a new one every year then get a Ryobi, they seem to last about 12 months before they die one way or another.

if you have money to burn get a Stihl, superior design even down to how their brush cutter wheels attach.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it's carbureted, no matter the brand, unless you're using it weekly, either drain the fuel every time or switch to the canned ethanol free. This is especially true if it's 2smoke.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2 stroke stihl bent shaft unit. It’s way better than any 4 stroke I’ve used. It works on any angle I’ve ever had to use it on and it fires up no problem every time. It’s 3 years old now and when I bought mine, I got extra warranty if I bought the small oil containers to throw in a jug of fuel for free. Never had to bring it in mind you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
W6FTW
3,819 Posts
Stihl 2smoke.

Whatever one you pick, use the trufuel ethanol free stuff. If i have to do a big area, i will use regular pump gas with 2 smoke mix, but i will pour out the tank, refill it with truffle, and run it for a couple minute before storing.

I can let it sit all winter and it will refire with a couple pulls every time.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have both a 2 stroke and 4 stroke Stihl weed eater. The 2 stroke is about 20 years old. The 4 stroke is about 10 years old. Both start and run good, but the 4 stroke doesn’t spool up as well at the 2 stroke and seems to have less cutting power as a result, even though it has a larger displacement.
The Stihl 4-mix motors still use mixed gas and I like them over a normal 4-stroke, they don't leak oil, you can run them with the motor tipped any way you want, no oil changes. I've got a handful of things with the 4-mix motors and so far everything has been working great.

I think the rental places run actual 4-strokes so people can't straight gas them and burn them up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts