Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of people have been asking me for info on how I flipped my Dana 300 so here goes. First of all most of the credit has to go toward Xtremetoy here on the board because he gave me the idea on how to do it.
First of all I made a new piece to house the shift rails between the case and the original cover out of 1.5" by 3/4" rectangular tubing. I drilled it to accept the cover and the new rails. For the shift rails I used 5/8" ID pipe which is the size of the rails. I took the original front shift rod housing and cut it in half and flipped it over (so I could reuse the detents and shifters etc.) and attached it to the new shift rail housing.
Next I pulled the case apart and flipped the shift forks over to come out of the (new) top. The reverse fork has to be ground just a little to clear the forward fork. Next I drilled two new holes in the shift rods to locate the set screws, I just played with the detents and the forks until I figured out exactly where I wanted the holes, I then marked them and pulled the case apart to drill the rods. This was the hardest part of the whole thing because if the holes are off it won't go into gear all the way when you shift (obviously).
I made a new plate to cover the original shifter holes in the bottom of the case which also holds the bottom of the front output shaft bearing housing.
Since I was just going by trial and error I didn't get a lot of pics but I'll post what I have. I know the expanation kinda sucks but I'm going from memory here. Basically it took me about 14 hours total to make everything, pull the case apart and put it back together. It's really simple and works great so far. Oh, yeah, for shifters I used a couple of my old Toyota pieces. It doesn't look pretty but it gets the job done.
I'll try to answer any questions that anyone has as best as possible.

The first pic shows the top of the case and where I cut the shift housing.

Tass

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next pic is basically the same thing. It's hard to see but it shows how close the two shift forks are.

Tass

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next pic is the test fitting in the truck. It's behind a Toyota t-case using an OTT adapter (which is a work of art BTW)

Tass

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next is with the top plate on and the shifters installed. Sorry the pic is blurry.

Tass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Clean set up! So I assume the dana 300 is only a pass side drop?
Seams real easy (time excluded) to do and is a better set up than the stock dana 20s for EB's and more options for up grades.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Looks cool. The shifters for the 300 look like toy shifters???

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, stock is pass. side drop. A lot of the time was figuring stuff out like where to drill, how to attach the shifter housing etc. I'm sure I could do another one less time.

Tass

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66CJdean said:
Looks cool. The shifters for the 300 look like toy shifters???
They are Toy shifters. I also used the Toy shifter housings, I just cut them out of the top of some old cases I had laying around :D

Tass

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
They make a nice pivot point and clean.
What did you do for a fill/overfill port so as to get the right amount of fluid in it?

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
using a similar theory could you flip a toy t-case upside down? do you think??? im sorta confused on the issue, at first i thought it would spin the wrong way, now i wonder what i was smoking before!

does the Dana 20 have front wheel disconnect? will it hold up to the punishment? (I read bv's article but im not convinced its as good as an atlas) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
209 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
using a similar theory could you flip a toy t-case upside down? do you think??? im sorta confused on the issue, at first i thought it would spin the wrong way, now i wonder what i was smoking before!

does the Dana 20 have front wheel disconnect? will it hold up to the punishment? (I read bv's article but im not convinced its as good as an atlas) :flipoff2:
It's a dana 300 and yes they do have front axle disconnect. hi/lo on one stick, 2wd/4wd on the other.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Damo said:

hi/lo on one stick, 2wd/4wd on the other.

Damo, this is DEFINITELY incorrect. The left stick is for the front axle, and the right stick is for the rear axle. With the 300 in the stock position, the sticks all the way forward is low, middle is nuetral, and rear is high.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
66CJdean said:
They make a nice pivot point and clean.
What did you do for a fill/overfill port so as to get the right amount of fluid in it?
[/QUOTE

I filled it up before I put the top on. You could use the plug on the top cover to fill it as long as you measure how much is going in.

Tass

·
Registered
209 Posts
Madmarx said:

Damo, this is DEFINITELY incorrect. The left stick is for the front axle, and the right stick is for the rear axle. With the 300 in the stock position, the sticks all the way forward is low, middle is nuetral, and rear is high.
My bad. But I got the 300 thing right :D and u can nuetral the front output independant of the rear...

Ever run it with one end in hi and the other in lo? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Damo said:

It's a dana 300 and yes they do have front axle disconnect. hi/lo on one stick, 2wd/4wd on the other.

And he was asking a Question about a Dana 20 not a 300 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
300 Flip

Sweet!!! I'll have to remember this option when I go full size!!!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts