Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
usa6x6 and gun barrel have Mich 20 inch rubber for sale , what tread design is the best for mud and rocks xl,or xml, am thinking the [email protected] inches would be better than the [email protected]@49.5 inches, any pro or cons, what about clearance, etc, i have problem with thorns or i would try the 12.5's but looks like it is too light and weak sidewall according to carpenter's experience with them. They are radial so i need a tubless type wheel, i have 11x20 splitring wheels with tubes, how do i tell if they or bias or radial wheels, i always get lost here, thanks for newbie help in advance. i ordered all new parts for brake job from UPS in California, only person who seemed to want to do business with parts, order was over $1000 and Mike seems real helpful and knew the parts off the top of his head. Got some prompt returns from some guys but had no parts just trucks, one website order was unanswered so i gave up. I bite the big one and ordered all manuals they had, Mike said they will have a cd out shortly with p/n's, price availability. Some of the places dropped me like a redheaded stepson when i wanted brake parts, does everybody run disc on there mog or did i have bad parts hunt? Thanks again for help! If ever down here come by ranch! New hartops from SORv next week for 404!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Crazy,

If you are running the stock motor/power, 46 inch tires are going to be serious anchors. 10.5 tires are roughly 37". Also, steering them aired down will require two guys to turn the wheel ; ) Just my thoughts. Split rims I know nothing about.

Tom Meisch
Rochester, NY

·
Registered
122 Posts
T Meisch said:
Hey Crazy,

If you are running the stock motor/power, 46 inch tires are going to be serious anchors. 10.5 tires are roughly 37". Also, steering them aired down will require two guys to turn the wheel ; ) Just my thoughts. Split rims I know nothing about.

Tom Meisch
Rochester, NY
I agree with above anything over 40 inches is pushing it. You 2.2liter engine only put out 80hp on a good day if it is stock.

You might look at michlen XM-27 they are a tractor tread that are DOT legal to 55mph and work good on rocks.

good luck

drj

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would say the XML's are best in the mud in the size you want. But the 12.5R20's may be the best for you.

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How tall can a stock 404 pull, i had 47 on there but i did not like them because they were too hard, they were foamed filled and prob helped knock out the front outside bearing. Is this why i see a lot of TSL's on Mogs? They air down good and are wider but almost same height as the stock nato tire? Has anybody tried running the 11x20 mudgrip like on a 18 wheeler? They are not wide enough i figured, what size would be right for a max mph set up and mud rocks, i have never seen the firestone you mentioned. Wil search for it on website. I have only 8 hours driving truck until brake&bearing overhaul, i thought the 47i nch recap was out of round or foam had shifted until I jacked it up and saw play in bearing. One reason why i don't think the bogger type will work down here in south texas is the thorn issue poking holes in the sidewall, lot of boggers do great until you get out of the ruts and hit a mesquite stump or branch that gets a good hit while wheel is spinnng. I was trying tog et something wide&tall tractor like to float/pull over the mud down here. Thanks for all help, am solid worm, i did hear from Danial at Kiler axles that he has an overdrive/manual transmission/transfer case coming out that will replace the 404's setup, i don't know if i understood why though? I am waiting on parts to get here and finsh brake/bearing job so I can use the truck some more and see what s wrong with trannsy, it may be me not shifting right, hope so! What tires do you have on your 404's?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
CrazyNerd said:
........, i did hear from Danial at Kiler axles that he has an overdrive/manual transmission/transfer case coming out that will replace the 404's setup, ..?
Why.... easy... Mog trany is not designed for US driving habbits. Drive it above 55mph .. maybe even 50mph for sustained time and it burns up the tranny. Their is some bushings in the tranny that dont hold up to that kind of RPM. At tractorish. 4x4, offroading kinda speeds it's not just a bullet proof tranny.... its bomb proof.

But.... that said.... Some companies..... and it seems Killeraxle follows the same format, will say something is "comming out"as a short way of stating that they are simply exploring the idea in their mind or maybe even reasearching the idea, buttttt This does not mean the item will make it to real production. Boy do I wish it would in this case. 100's of Moggers would want this item if the price is right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts