Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with a guy who says he has a Hobart Mig 120 set up for argon, but no tank, for $200. Would this be a good deal if I couldn't talk him down?

Thanks,
Milan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I bought my 135 for $400 new from central welding free shipping and came with a regulator and a spool of flux core wire.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
How old is it. Some of the newer ones come with aluminum windings instead of copper and they're a POS.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by BrianR:
<STRONG>How old is it. Some of the newer ones come with aluminum windings instead of copper and they're a POS.</STRONG>

Is there a way to tell whether it's copper or aluminum? I was going to go look at it this afternoon.

Milan

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'll have a look at mine, I bought it two years ago. That's when I found out about it. The aluminum windings won't stand up to the abuse, and have a lower duty cycle. Cheaper for them to build.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BrianR:
<STRONG>I'll have a look at mine, I bought it two years ago. That's when I found out about it. The aluminum windings won't stand up to the abuse, and have a lower duty cycle. Cheaper for them to build.</STRONG>
So have you done any welding on the frame with your 120? Does anyone know if the winding is in the same location for every Mig welder?

Thanks,
milan

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Just looked at mine. You can see the windings if you look through the grill on the backside by the gas inlet. The stock # on mine is 500399 ser # kk268448 Handler 120. As far as weld on the frame, I've used it for suspension mods on two trucks now. The first I rolled 36 times and all the welds held fine. It was the rest of the truck that was trashed. You can put up to a 10# spool in it and run .045 wire. The trick is as with any wire machine, balancing your heat and wire speed. I run mostly inner shield wire, but with gas you can make some pretty welds. Depending on how much it was used, you might have to change the liner in the gun lead. Definetly go for your best price, but $200 is not bad for a good condition machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts