Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around and I see people that say they have 180-200 HP 22r engines, and not bored over and not LC engineering crate engines. They say they got it from just the regular mods ie exhaust, cam, 4bbl carb setups. Does anybody else have this kind of power from a 22r? And if so. Howd you get so much. CUz i don't wanna waste money on all this kinda crap if i'm not gonna get much out of it.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
To get 200hp, you will need a BIG cam, lots of head and intake work, and the power will be at 8000rpm. That is why guys don't have engines like that in thier trucks.

If someone tells you they have 200hp from a 22R, ask them what kind of head work they have had done. If none, they are full of shit and don't have 200hp.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I would ask to see the dyno sheet.

It takes alot of work and alot of $ to get 200HP out of a 22r.

·
Registered
801 Posts
With my 22R I figure I have around 90-95hp... that's with only a header and a slightly altered air intake...so about stock hp range.

I'll agree, people who say the're pushing 180-200hp in a 22R have either spent lots of $$$ or full of shit.

Just swap a 4.3 and be done with it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hmm, lest see, when I was stupid, and had money, I built up my 22R, and for what is done, I see claims of anywhere between 180-240hp. I couldn't tell you if it is true, or even close to true.

What I have done:

20R head, flowed, big valves, valve springs,
respringed distribter
headers
aftermarket intake
38DGAS carb
bored fourty over
10.5 to 1 compression
plus other stuff

I just thought I would give you an idea of claims, and the means of how I got there

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Toy 4Runner Man said:
Hmm, lest see, when I was stupid, and had money, I built up my 22R, and for what is done, I see claims of anywhere between 180-240hp. I couldn't tell you if it is true, or even close to true.

What I have done:

respringed distribter
headers
aftermarket intake
38DGAS carb
bored fourty over
10.5 to 1 compression
plus other stuff

I just thought I would give you an idea of claims, and the means of how I got there
How drivable was it? Was there good low-end?

I've always thought a carbed 22R and drivetrain in a Sami would make a cool little mud truck.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Toy 4Runner Man said:

What I have done:

respringed distribter
headers
aftermarket intake
38DGAS carb
bored fourty over
10.5 to 1 compression
plus other stuff

So was all the money spent worth it in the end? What's the total cost of doing this amount of work?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would you say i have now then... i don't a 2 1/2 header yet. But i have my 1 1/2 inch cat spliced to 2 1/2 magnaflow muffler and pipe. And a 270 r.v. cam.

A stock 22r has like 95-100 hp stock. So idk. I don't really need it. Cuz the 5.29s make riding on 35s much easier.

·
Registered
943 Posts
VT_Toy said:

How drivable was it? Was there good low-end?

I've always thought a carbed 22R and drivetrain in a Sami would make a cool little mud truck.
Was it? Actually I have it, and still drive it! It is my daily driver, it is a little moody, but drivable. The cam I have in it is a low-mid range Cam, so the power is good up to about 3500rpm's. After that, the momentum keeps them turning. I have had it at close to 8000rpm's before in the mud. The carb on the angles is annoying at times, but keep the RPM's up, and never really a problem so far.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Toyofast said:

So was all the money spent worth it in the end? What's the total cost of doing this amount of work?
Was it worth it, NO. I think buy the end of the build up I could of been about 90% done with a 4.3 swap using all AA equipment.

It is enjoyable admazing people with my 4 cylinder motor! Something about 33's, lockers, and a brake stand that gets people's attention.:rolleyes:

·
nice roach.
5,742 Posts
mudtruck44 said:
I think it falls into the same category as "Every asshole who has an Edelbrock intake, and headers on his 350, has 400hp."
LOL and dont forget dual 2 inch glasspacks.....lol :D :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok first off, you need to take a look at LC Engineering's website. Take a look at their Stage 5 motor. Notice all the stuff that is put on that beast! Also, note the price tag, $6,000! LC Engineering is THE Toyota Engine Pro's so I believe the maximum amount of HP you can get out of a 22R is 200 HP. And that is with every mod conceivable, so look around spending $6,000 to get a 200hp 22R. Anyone that tells you the are getting more than 140hp out of a 22R has spent big bucks as it is.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Toy 4Runner Man said:

Was it? Actually I have it, and still drive it! It is my daily driver, it is a little moody, but drivable. The cam I have in it is a low-mid range Cam, so the power is good up to about 3500rpm's. After that, the momentum keeps them turning. I have had it at close to 8000rpm's before in the mud. The carb on the angles is annoying at times, but keep the RPM's up, and never really a problem so far.
you say 8000rpm???? i was under the impresion that the stock igniter had a rev limiter set around 5500 rmp. and you might go that fast from the momentum created by a free rev. please explain unless you are kidding around.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
and if you are going to make over 200 hp *you will have to* force induct the thing, there is no other way to reliably make that much hp ( and NOS is not reliable )

Cliff

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Okay I have done a lot to my engine and I figure I'm around 140-145 HP range with my 22RE. Thats just a gut feel from what other people say what the mods actually do. Some examples are headers actually add like 4-6 HP, Over sized exhuast might be another 2 HP, Cam might be 3-5 HP. Each mod is not very much the combination of them is what helps the figures out. Its also important to make sure each mod actually helps the engine and can work properly with the other mods. I have spent a lot of money getting it this far and I don't plan on doing anything else becasue it's not worth it to me.

Now people with Hybrids (20R heads on 22R blocks) can get a little more. One person had his dynoed at 155 HP. Again that is not a cheap investment. If you want HP, swap the engine out unless you have pockets of cash.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm just waiting for [email protected] to chime in on this one subject!!!!

When I did my hybrid I figure I was in the 140-145 catagory. Could have been lower or higher..not sure. Here's what I had...

20R Head, ported & polished bowls & exhaust runners. Ported intake runners.
DOA C270 Camshaft
20R Intake, ported runners
Weber 32/36 rejetted
Laser bottom end with 93mm 9.4:1 dish pistons, balance assembly
Longtube header, 2.5" exhuast
MSD 6A Ignition.

Approximately 10.5:1 compression. 93 octane fuel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts