Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend is getting rid of their jeep. I figured it might be a good and inexpensive time to get one to make some parts and have some fun.
Reverse does not work. I know squat about jeeps. Is it likely a full trans issue or are there common solenoids or things that likely go bad?

And anyone have the code or know what trans is in these so I can start to surf for a used one incase it needs one.

·
Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drop the pan.

I'm feeling this may be above your mechanical ability. Find a shop or a friend that can help.
Not at all but I was under the impression that trans pans without drain don't need to be serviced and last the life of the vehicle?

·
today
1,495 Posts
Not at all but I was under the impression that trans pans without drain don't need to be serviced and last the life of the vehicle?
that's what happens if you never change your filter/ fluid

drop the pan, get new gasket and filter refill with new atf

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
that's what happens if you never change your filter/ fluid

drop the pan, get new gasket and filter refill with new atf
You forgot the last step, #4 Take shower. Or was that gonna be a surprise?
Travis..

·
Registered
743 Posts
If it's a WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0l, it has a 42RE. Most common cause of no reverse would be some failure of the rear band and/or it's servo. A quick test of this is to shift to manual 1st gear, accelerate then let off the gas, if the rear band is not holding the drum, the jeep will coast without engine braking. (The rear band provides the engine braking function in manual 1st) If it has a bad servo seal, it can be replaced without taking the trans out of the jeep, a circuit air pressure test by a transmission tech would show that is the problem. If the band is broken or burned up, the trans must come out.

Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts