Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my M715 for the bike above, and it does not have from brakes.

Can anyone tell me what all I need to do to check this out. Also, I would like to get some kind of service manual for this. I do all kinds of Jeep work, but this is the first 4 Wheeler I have. I hear it is not difficult, and I am not one to send my rigs, or in this case atv, to the shop to have someone else do something that I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

mark

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Merace19 said:
Real easy on the brake job. You sure it has no brakes or that they are out of adjustment?
Not sure. Like I said, I don't know anything about this. I do know that when you pull the brake lever, the front brakes don't work. And a friend of mine that has a Rancher checked it out and told me that there were no front brakes, before we worked out the trade.

I am trying to figure out the whole manual thing. That is probably the best way for me to get this straightened out. Or, I have been told the shoes are probably gone. And if it has been in a lot of mud, that that is probably the case. And it has been in a lot of mud, from the looks of it.

mark

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can replace those front brakes in about 30 minutes. The shoes are only held on by 2 clips same as a cars but no complecated springs or cables. Take the tire off and then the retaining nut that holds the brake drum on. Slip the drum off and there is the shoes. if they look good reach up and mash the brakes and see it the wheel cyclinder is working. It will be pushing out the pads. If that works right then look at the bottom of the brake mounting flange and you will see an adjuster. it should have adjustments for each shoe. See if they work by spinning them one way or the other. if they spin freely then remember which way they make the shoes move out and reinstall the drum. If they stuck you have to remove it and get them to work. cause with out it the brakes will never get close to the drum. to remove it you take out the 4 bolts holding the flange to the axle and slide it out a little to access the bolts that hold it on. This is the way its done on a 300 and the older 250, if yours is different then it want be by much.

But alot of times its the Master cyclinder that needs to be rebuilt. it has internal leaks and does not allow pressure enough to push out the piston inside the wheel cyclinders. As was my problem.:D :D :D :D :D

If you dont want the atv i have a home for it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will try that this week or next. This is not on my list of priorities. I rode the thing all over this past weekend and it works pretty good. So, I think I will keep it for now. Just need to get these minor things worked out.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts