Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go, Im redoing my sas on my 2000 ranger. I did the swap about 3 years ago and I wish I found Pirate back then because it would have been way easier and better. On the first set up I put a dana 30 under it regeared it with 4.88 had a detroit in the rear with the front welded on 35" boggers. It did pretty well for the drive terrain being so weak. So now im redoing it better.

Im putting a 14bolt in the rear a 44 up front ( chromoly & ctm's ) with extended radius arms, 5.13 gears,a doubler, redoing my flatbed and adding an exo cage.

heres some pics I need to find some of it before, I forgot to take them before it went on the lift

Tore the axels out and started torching some brackets off.

Removed the gas tank so I could build a new cross member for some bottom links. Im trying something different with my leafsprings so well see. Plus it will be set up for future 3 link.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is my different set up I was talking about. I have National leafs with a longer tension shackel, I really like the way the rear end rides and handels and I got pretty good flex the way its set up. But I had 3" blocks, I diddnt want to cut all the brackets off and diddnt want to change the set up not yet any ways so Im trying this.

brackets for the axel.

Ill get back to that later I still havnt finished it. Heres the axels I got from WHITE RHINO Thank you.

Cut the "C's" off so I could set the proper caster when ride height is set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disk brake kit, diff cover & pinion guard for the rear.

Ill post some more tomorrow to bring this to were im at now.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
lookin good buddy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres the rear end mocked up and the brackets welded on.

and heres the start of my front axle truss.

got the new wheel centers & rock rings from Copperhead fab.

got my new shafts & ctms

Thats all the pictures I have right now I keep leaving my camera at work. The rear end is in with the links and all the brackets are on the front. Ill be gone on vacation this weekend but ill post more pics on wednesday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How does the (Johnny joint??) under the spring work? Thanks Brandon B.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Unless I am missing something, those springs are just going to rock back and forth on the axle aka WICKED BAD AXLE WRAP. You have nothing to hold the pinion in a constant degree.
You'd be better off turning them 90 deg's, but still thats a lot of load for a Jonny joint to carry.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Look closer at the brackets on his axle. Looks to me like he's going to run a pair of lower links. That would make the leaf springs act both as upper links and as springs. Looks to me like this would allow much more flex than using the leaf springs alone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
looks like a cool idea but I think as the axle stuffs or drops it is going to cause the pinion to rotate alot causing u joint failure...

I will deffinatly be watching to see if it works!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am running bottom links I built them last night but diddnt have the camera to take pictures. At full drop with no shocks just the axel hanging as low as it wants the U joint angel gets steep but it will work I have not yet fully compressed it to see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How does the (Johnny joint??) under the spring work? Thanks Brandon B.
My idea behind it was to not have the spring twist and bind during compression and I did it to take the place of my block. I have had buddies that have ran pivoting hangers on there springs and resulted in some extra flex. If it dosnt work ill link the top and air bag it like my jeep.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok I was wondering about that I have never seen or heard of doing this. Let me know how it turns out. Thanks Brandon B.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts