Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone use a newer F150 for a tow rig?? I have a TJ and might by movin up to a Avalanche Tube rig. I hear that the max tow of an F150 is only 4500. is this right? will this be ok for a TJ or a tube rig on a trailer??

SUB QUESTION does wheel size affect towing?? if I would but a 18" wheel or bigger on it would it affect how it will tow??
phil

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I have towed with my wifes Expedition ( same as an f150) and it did ok. I was towing my full bodied 4runner on a tandem axle (7k) trailer. It only has the 4.6 but did ok. I traded in my 2001 1500 Dodge Quad cab on a 2001 2500 Quad cab w/ the CTD :D and there is nothing like towing with the CTD. On the tires, I don't think the rim size makes a differance, it's the load rating on the tire and rim. Make sure the tire has at least a D load range and the rim has a Load Rating high enough for what your hauling.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
My buddy used his super crew to tow his jeep to Moab last year and back from Reno. Roughly 1700 miles round trip. His has the 5.4 and other than using alot of gas at 75mph it did well. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you realize what you are driving and keep it within reason.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My 2001 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 has the heavy tow package, and is rated to tow 8450 pounds. This is with the 5.4L and the five lug 9 3/4 semi-floating version of the 10 1/2 Sterling axle, not the 8.8. Look at the axle under the truck to guess the tow package.

My 2001 has pulled a tandem axle trailer with a small crawler, combined at 8600#, and other than poor fuel mileage and poor factory tires (requiring a light touch on the brakes) it was fine. It's not a one-ton turbo diesel so it will move around on the weak factory tires a little (did I mention the factory tires suck).

The light duty standard and tow package is limited by the 8.8 axle and trans, and rated only around 5000# (it will still tow the weight, but the brakes are smaller, and the package is not as durable).

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
two of my buddy have theese trucks, one tow's a tube buggy, and the other dosent tow to much, but they both tow just fine, and you can cruise at 80 mph, you just use lots of gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts