Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to gain gas mileage from my '01 quad cab 1500 with a 5.2 liter engine. If I change to manual locking hubs, would this be cost effective?
Where can I buy complete kits for this?

·
Registered
381 Posts
you would have to look for a once piece axle shaft for the passenger side, since the central axle disconnect makes it a two piece shaft, then you would need knuckles, outer axle shafts, hubs, rotors, bearings, seals, from an older dana 44 im assuming you have up front, then you would have to figure out steering, and you would lose abs and have a light on in the dash! so best bet would be to either keep what you got, or find a 74ish chevy dana 44 with flat top knuckle, and steal the outers off of it and figure out what inner shaft will work on the pass side.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
for the price, it will not be cost effective. I really dont think that ppl running drive flanges get that much worse mileage than hubs,really.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The inner C's are also different, so you would have to cut them off of a donor axle and replace them as well.

As for a one piece axle, my research leads me to believe that if you got a one piece long side inner axle from an older dodge ('70's or '80's) it should work. But I haven't tried it yet so I'm not 100% sure. Otherwise, you could just engage the CAD and tack weld the collar to both halves of the axle...

I've got a donor d-44 from a '76 chevy, and I think I'm going to try to accomplish this myself next spring. I broke my leg and don't have time or money to do it now, or else I would be doing it this fall.

I'm guessing the reason nobody has made a kit for these axles yet is the fact that if they made one they would have to have custom knuckles cast due to the differences in the inner c's. On top of that, in about '98 or so (not sure of exact year) dodge switched the knuckle design so if someone were to make kits for this, they would have to offer two different kits to cover '94 to '01.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
The front axle wont help much.

Try changing your plenum gasket for a hughes one, run a dual roller timing chain, and run some mopar combustion chamber cleaner through the motor.

That netted me 3 mpg.

If your getting over 12... call it a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts