Pirate 4x4 banner

1481 - 1500 of 1572 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another trick that's helped significantly is applying rtv between the hub and lockout, better sealing of the o-ring.... absolutely zero water gets inside. I try to pump grease into my spindle bushings once a year to help seal the next obvious point of intrusion.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,483
Only for the spindle bearing/bushing. It threads onto the spindle once the locking hub is removed. I just made mine out of some scrap plastic at work and it self threaded itself the first time I threaded it on the spindle. The hub itself should not be packed full of grease otherwise it will overheat I believe.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Only for the spindle bearing/bushing. It threads onto the spindle once the locking hub is removed. I just made mine out of some scrap plastic at work and it self threaded itself the first time I threaded it on the spindle. The hub itself should not be packed full of grease otherwise it will overheat I believe.

That makes sense. Sorry for the derailment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Isn’t there some tech on here about adding a grease fitting to the hub so that you can pull the lockout and pump in clean grease and drive out the water and trash?
Yes there is. You put a zerk into your hub near the wheel mount surface... using a needle zerk so it's low profile. You change it to a normal zerk when you need to grease. I was going to do this, but never got around to it.

If the over heating idea was true, then you wouldn't be packing trailer bearings full with a grease gun, i wouldn't think. Same style bearing, same principle spindle wise. I think it would be fine, but I've been wrong before...

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,486
That makes sense. Sorry for the derailment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, that's what this thread is for!

Yes there is. You put a zerk into your hub near the wheel mount surface... using a needle zerk so it's low profile. You change it to a normal zerk when you need to grease. I was going to do this, but never got around to it.

If the over heating idea was true, then you wouldn't be packing trailer bearings full with a grease gun, i wouldn't think. Same style bearing, same principle spindle wise. I think it would be fine, but I've been wrong before...
Good point. Maybe it's solely to do with the locking hubs? I know they won't slide freely if overpacked.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No worries, that's what this thread is for!

Good point. Maybe it's solely to do with the locking hubs? I know they won't slide freely if overpacked.
I could definitely see the locking hub being an issue if packed with grease. Maybe if you're using drive flanges it's an ok idea?

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,488 (Edited)
Went to move the truck to the driveway last week and noticed a puddle of gas on the ground. One of the extended fuel lines had ruptured (not at a bend or rub area from what I could tell).

Instead of messing with the same method I used to extend the lines the 1st go around (boiling water to soften nylon line, tapping the quick connect to get it to slide in, etc.), I found this method online somewhere. It worked awesome.

Modified Quick-Grip clamp (or a caulk gun would also probably work) and brake flaring kit clamp which I rented. A tiny bit of petroleum jelly to make it slide in nicely. No drama and way faster.

I also noticed that the fuel line repair kits were just push-to-connect nylon fittings: https://smile.amazon.com/Fuel-Connector-800-193-Nylon-Union/dp/B07CYFJNM9/

Snagged one of each size to toss in the truck in case this were to happen remotely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great build and great build thread. You have done a great job and should be very proud. I live close to C-U, surprised I never saw the truck around. Good luck going forward with it.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,490 (Edited)
Great build and great build thread. You have done a great job and should be very proud. I live close to C-U, surprised I never saw the truck around. Good luck going forward with it.
I haven't lived in Champaign for 5 years now, which is probably a big part of it. It was never on 40s while I lived in Champaign, either - only 37s.

I do visit often though and I'll be down there with the truck for a meet on March 21, so come check it out!

Thanks for the kind words!!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
This thing is sweet. I don’t get in the Chevy forum often but I’ll be watching yours for sure. Definitely different like my build. The short wheel base looks awesome.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,492 (Edited)
This thing is sweet. I don’t get in the Chevy forum often but I’ll be watching yours for sure. Definitely different like my build. The short wheel base looks awesome.
Thanks man! Means a lot coming from you. Your build is fantastic.

·
Registered
442 Posts
With the wheelbase-ectomy, was there ANY chance to save the original fuel tank?

I'm in a similar situation now, but it's a 34gal tank, and I don't want to lose my range.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,494
With the wheelbase-ectomy, was there ANY chance to save the original fuel tank?

I'm in a similar situation now, but it's a 34gal tank, and I don't want to lose my range.
There's not really any way to save the stock fuel tank aside from relocating elsewhere (and it's a weird shape) unless you're only shortening the wheelbase a few inches. The rear axle will hit.

If you don't mind the tank hanging down more than mine does, a GMT400 suburban tank may be able to work and they're 42 gallons.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,496
I'm not sure. But if you have a 99-02 with a fuel return system, I bet the 96-99 Suburban pump could be made to work.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,497
While I was doing my sway bar I noticed my front spring perch was a little saggy.

So I burned in a new one. With a broken welding helmet so I did it with three sets of sunglasses and used the gun to block the arc :laughing:

Then, since I broke a leaf spring last trip out, I took the good main leaf I had leftover and found a place for it to live.

It gives me spare bolts, too if I ever need them.

And then, finally, I started finishing up my skid plate system.

The skids will be made from Duracorr 300 which is a very hard Stainless Steel (harder than mild steel, but not quite AR400). Pretty stoked about that because now when the paint gets scraped off, they won't rust IMMEDIATELY lol.

Used the same cardboard cutouts to verify the new hole locations and sent the DXFs to my very gracious buddy who's cutting them for me.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,498
Then, I did some fluid checking and packed up to head to Badlands for the NAXJA winterfest. I'm pretty certain there were over 150 jeeps there, it was insane. Met some cool people and of course watched some jeep people wheel, so there was plenty of interesting stuff happening :laughing:

To say I'm impressed with my truck would be an understatement. I made it up 4 or 5 new obstacles I'd never been able to get up without winching and one-shotted some of the trickier obstacles I'd done before. There's still a couple that I wasn't able to conquer (the one pictured above, for example), so that'll be the goal for next time :grinpimp:

Nothing major broke, but a shock eye did fall victim to the decade-plus of salty winters and separate from the shock body on the obstacle pictured above. I'll be taking this opportunity to run 12" travel shocks out back (rather than 14") and move the axle shock mounts in-line with the axle tube so that I stop snagging them on things.

Conquering the climb near the slab in one-shot. Did it again for video and of course it took two or three tries :laughing:

Some gnarly line near the pond. I tried this before in the wet and wasn't successful. I made it a bit farther this time, but it got so tippy, I decided to back out and try a different line. Doing so lodged my rear axle tube between two rocks and I ended up winching forward. I'll share video of what I'd consider a valiant attempt soon.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,499 (Edited)
Some perspective for the above line... it's gnarly. This obstacle is my new nemesis. I've already started thinking of other lines to try next visit.

Moved onto a different obstacle after the unsuccessful attempt. This is where my shock decided to become more than one captured piece.

Finally had the balls to climb this guy. But not after the first attempt had my front wheels in the air momentarily. Picked a better line and was able to properly crawl it.

The playground that used to be purgatory.

Finished up with a quick trail ride.

All in all an aweome trip with awesome friends. My buddy Steve broke a lockout and likely his rear locker on his 95 XJ and my buddy Kevin's power steering pump pulley cracked (plastic??!?!?) on his 99 XJ and would spin on the PS pump shaft when he tried to steer with any resistance. He limped it home while we followed after swinging into Lafayette, IN to grab a spare in case his exploded. Fortunately, it did not.

I'll post pictures of other peoples rigs and videos later this week.:D

1481 - 1500 of 1572 Posts