Pirate 4x4 banner

1521 - 1540 of 1590 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,523
I forget who makes it, but are you running the oh I don’t know, circa 03ish k2500 front brakes?
Yessir, it's a homebrew setup similar to WFO's but if you text me I can put you in touch with the guy who cut them for me. Works great and allows me to take the whole spindle/hub out without having to take the hub off the spindle every time. Kind of a rebuildable unit bearing.

I'll see if I can grab a picture.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,524
In my bummed-ness, I decided to weld the Dana 60 tubes to the pumpkin like I did on the 14b years ago. Preheated, welded, peened, post heated, and now it's wrapped in welding blankets. No pics, was too smoky in the garage for me to hang around much longer.
Also, snagged a picture of the cooled down diff this morning. No cracked welds!

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,525
A few more hours of work last night. Got the 14b converted to a 13b, which took longer than expected (though I feel like I should've expected it :laughing:).

Gains another 5/8-3/4" compared to what I had before. Not a huge gain, but any gains are beneficial. I didn't feel like machining the ring gear at this point and going full HAM on a cut-and-plate shave. Maybe in the future, we'll see.

Otherwise, I got new axle seals installed on the D60, which took forever since I had to make two install tools (forgot that to install the 2nd seal, I needed the tool to fit through the first seal :homer:).

Hoping to start on the front regear tonight. I verified my old setup bearings fit the new pinion and carrier, so I should be good to go. Wife's birthday is tomorrow, and I'll be spending time finding a new carrier for the rear axle Friday, so I probably won't have the regear complete until the end of the weekend - but I'm not going anywhere, so there's not much rush (Shelter-in-Place in Illinois extended to end of April).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious if you got your abs light out, my 03 cluster has this anoying message were my odometer shows and would like to deleted the abs module anyways.

trying to figure out if im tricking the abs to think the fronts are working or if i just delete it and live with the stupid message. unless said message can be removed.

same goes with service 4wd message. do you know if it goes away on an 03 by removing the tccm?

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,527
Not sure on the 03s.

I simply put electrical tape over the bulb (since it's soldered in) to keep it from showing on my cluster.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,529
I scratched the solder off going to the bulb on my s10.
That'd work too, I just didn't want to create some funky discontinuity in the cluster (potentially). It probably would've been fine, but whatever. Tape's been working fine for 8 years now :flipoff2:

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,530
So I got the Dana 60 pattern to where I'd like it over the weekend. Used gears are a pain in the ass! :mad3:

First, I overestimated what was needed for carrier pre-load and got the carrier stuck in the housing, so I had to make a case spreader. Yes, I tried the shop rag and turn the pinion method - didn't work. I'll admit, the spreader did make installing and removing the carrier a lot easier so I'm glad I did it.

Took 11 tries to get it where I wanted, but if you look at the numbers - setup 8 and setup 11 are pretty much identical.

Things got even closer to where I wanted them when I installed the new bearings (vs. setup bearings).

The shape of the contact isn't quite like what I'd expect with new gears, but I double checked with my buddy who's much more experienced and he said I should focus on the wide area at the middle and how centered it is between the root and tip of each tooth.

Also, if you don't have a pinion yoke holder like this... MAKE ONE. Makes torquing the nut so much easier than a pipe wrench and cheater. I've also used this style to set preload with a 14b crush sleeve and it works great (just use a longer tube inserted into it).

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,531
Didn't want to have to mount the hydro ram to the new Ox diff cover if I didn't have to. I played around with a few configurations and ultimately settled on this setup which I'm happy with. Similar to the shock mounts, these were designed in CAD but then cut by hand with a drill and angle grinder. Pretty happy with the results.

Mounted the ram up higher than my previous to keep it from getting damaged, like my previous ram did.

And today, I'm taking advantage of working from home to take my time painting the axles - actually following the instructions on the can of Chassis Saver paint (like POR15) and waiting 2-4 hours between coats rather than just slathering it on heavy. Seems to be doing a good job.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,535
I wish Ox made a locker for the 14b. I know they're working on it, though.

I'd be reluctant to go with an ARB, myself. I've seen so many issues with the copper air line inside having air pressure issues. The nice thing about the Ox is that you can force it to engage with a screw if the actuation system fails.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I wish Ox made a locker for the 14b. I know they're working on it, though.

I'd be reluctant to go with an ARB, myself. I've seen so many issues with the copper air line inside having air pressure issues. The nice thing about the Ox is that you can force it to engage with a screw if the actuation system fails.

I definitely agree. That’s probably the main reason I haven’t bought a set of ARBs already. I’ve stumbled on a bunch of threads where people have issues. With the Ox, I think they have the design and reliability nailed down with the forced engagement screw but I don’t think their cover would fit behind my tierod. It’s already close to my low profile motobilt cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,537
Where does your tie rod cross the diff cover? If it's not right in the middle you could section the OX cover to work, I'm pretty sure.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,538 (Edited)
Final coats applied throughout the day yesterday. Perks of working from home I guess :laughing:

And I couldn't resist seeing how this would look last night.

My new (used) 14b carrier arrived today and I accidentally ordered new pinion bearings for the wrong year-break pinion housing, so the correct ones will arrive tomorrow and I'll get the 14b squared away and installed this weekend. I should also be able to get the front installed this weekend, but we'll see how the weather looks - lots of rain forecasted.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,539
So, the Dana 60 is buttoned up. I forgot to add the thrust washer, so I reset the pinion pre-load because it was a lot higher than the spec allowed and now it's at exactly 30lb-in.

Tossed the hydro ram and freshly-painted tie rod on there for motivation. :laughing:

I figured now would be a good time to refresh the front leaves, too. The rears were done a few months ago, so no need to mess with those.

I'm going to try getting the front axle back in tonight, but we'll see how long it takes to get the new PSC ram plumbed since it uses AN fittings and hoses instead of NPT fittings.

Focus then moved to the 14b. I mentioned before that I'd spun a bearing on the old 14b. I was able to get a used one from someone I follow on IG (not sure if he's on Pirate). I also took the opportunity to swap pinion support housings to a 1988+ support with the larger inner pinion bearing. When I put the factory-disc rear end in my truck, I swapped the carrier and pinion housing all together from my 1979 axle because it was easy.

Aside from the bigger inner pinion bearing, the other benefit (or maybe a downside to some) is that the pinion seal becomes a two-piece deal. It's definitely more annoying to replace or service, but I do expect that it would last a lot longer. The yoke side of the seal actually includes a speedi-sleeve style seal.

I replaced the carrier bearings and both pinion bearings when I put everything back together. Got the locker swapped over, ring gear installed, and pinion pre-load set. This is my new favorite way for torquing ring gear bolts, by the way:

Public service announcement... always take out your carrier pre-load adjusters and clean behind them! Pretty sure the large chunk was kept in place by the threads, but still scary to think that would've been sealed within the differential. :eek:

Long story short with the 14b gear setup is that I'm currently at zero pinion shim and .008" backlash and have what I'd consider an acceptable, but not perfect pattern. To go any deeper on pinion depth, I'd need to tear the pinion support back apart and shim between the pinion head and inner pinion bearing, but I'm not sure it's worth doing this with the pattern I currently have. My only hangup with this pattern is that it's really close to the top of the tooth. Otherwise I see a wide contact patch that does go pretty deep.
What say you, Pirate?

I am waiting on a replacement pilot / 3rd bearing for the pinion on the 14b, as the cage got damaged somewhat. May have been fine, but don't want to chance it. This will be here Thursday and I hope to get the axle back under the truck over the weekend if there are no more hiccups. Slow but steady. Been taking my time since we've been on lockdown.

1521 - 1540 of 1590 Posts