Pirate 4x4 banner

1541 - 1560 of 1590 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
So, the Dana 60 is buttoned up. I forgot to add the thrust washer, so I reset the pinion pre-load because it was a lot higher than the spec allowed and now it's at exactly 30lb-in.

Tossed the hydro ram and freshly-painted tie rod on there for motivation. :laughing:

I figured now would be a good time to refresh the front leaves, too. The rears were done a few months ago, so no need to mess with those.

I'm going to try getting the front axle back in tonight, but we'll see how long it takes to get the new PSC ram plumbed since it uses AN fittings and hoses instead of NPT fittings.

Focus then moved to the 14b. I mentioned before that I'd spun a bearing on the old 14b. I was able to get a used one from someone I follow on IG (not sure if he's on Pirate). I also took the opportunity to swap pinion support housings to a 1988+ support with the larger inner pinion bearing. When I put the factory-disc rear end in my truck, I swapped the carrier and pinion housing all together from my 1979 axle because it was easy.

Aside from the bigger inner pinion bearing, the other benefit (or maybe a downside to some) is that the pinion seal becomes a two-piece deal. It's definitely more annoying to replace or service, but I do expect that it would last a lot longer. The yoke side of the seal actually includes a speedi-sleeve style seal.

I replaced the carrier bearings and both pinion bearings when I put everything back together. Got the locker swapped over, ring gear installed, and pinion pre-load set. This is my new favorite way for torquing ring gear bolts, by the way:

Public service announcement... always take out your carrier pre-load adjusters and clean behind them! Pretty sure the large chunk was kept in place by the threads, but still scary to think that would've been sealed within the differential. :eek:

Long story short with the 14b gear setup is that I'm currently at zero pinion shim and .008" backlash and have what I'd consider an acceptable, but not perfect pattern. To go any deeper on pinion depth, I'd need to tear the pinion support back apart and shim between the pinion head and inner pinion bearing, but I'm not sure it's worth doing this with the pattern I currently have. My only hangup with this pattern is that it's really close to the top of the tooth. Otherwise I see a wide contact patch that does go pretty deep.
What say you, Pirate?

I am waiting on a replacement pilot / 3rd bearing for the pinion on the 14b, as the cage got damaged somewhat. May have been fine, but don't want to chance it. This will be here Thursday and I hope to get the axle back under the truck over the weekend if there are no more hiccups. Slow but steady. Been taking my time since we've been on lockdown.
Run it. That pattern is fine.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I am not sure if the Ox locker for the D60 is like the D44 but are there tiny bolts that are used to by the locking collar? I had them back out on my D44 before I swapped to my D70 front build and Nick with the beefed up IFS Colorado had the same issue. Not sure how different the design is but if they are there make sure those bolts are tight! Maybe even wire lock them if possible.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,543
I am not sure if the Ox locker for the D60 is like the D44 but are there tiny bolts that are used to by the locking collar? I had them back out on my D44 before I swapped to my D70 front build and Nick with the beefed up IFS Colorado had the same issue. Not sure how different the design is but if they are there make sure those bolts are tight! Maybe even wire lock them if possible.
Good to know. I don't think the D60 Ox locker has the small bolts?

I zoomed in on a picture of the gear setup and these appear to be the only bolts that are near the locking collar. They look like they're ~3/8" flat head cap screws to me. Is this the area you recall?

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,544
I reached out to Nick and he does have pics. It's the bolts I expected... I'll pull my carrier, pull the bolts and re-loctite them and properly torque them.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Yep, the D44 had probably 1/4in bolts (don't quote me on that) and they were actual bolts with bolt heads, not recessed allen bolts. I had them come loose and so did Nick. They chipped the ring gear every so slightly since one flung up into the R&P while moving, I think it ruined Nick's housing. I also had a friend who bought a built D44 years ago before going to 1 tons and the previous owner on that axle wire locked those little bolts on the D44 ox so it must be an issue on 44 Ox's and who knows maybe they redesigned it to that style like the 60 has.

Not trying to sound the alarm. Just wanted to throw it out there. Other then that I liked the ox locker, the emergency lock system is great. I think I still have it, if you want I can ship it to you.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,547 (Edited)
Yep, the D44 had probably 1/4in bolts (don't quote me on that) and they were actual bolts with bolt heads, not recessed allen bolts. I had them come loose and so did Nick. They chipped the ring gear every so slightly since one flung up into the R&P while moving, I think it ruined Nick's housing. I also had a friend who bought a built D44 years ago before going to 1 tons and the previous owner on that axle wire locked those little bolts on the D44 ox so it must be an issue on 44 Ox's and who knows maybe they redesigned it to that style like the 60 has.

Not trying to sound the alarm. Just wanted to throw it out there. Other then that I liked the ox locker, the emergency lock system is great. I think I still have it, if you want I can ship it to you.
No way man, I am glad to hear the feedback about it. I'm half tempted to toss a tiny little tack weld onto them once I retorque them...

I also already bought the drive away lock, but I appreciate the offer!

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Sounds good! Yeah that may not be a bad idea. Those are the times I wish I could tig a nice tack on something like a locker instead of mig.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,549 (Edited)
Same here. I think I'll trust in using red loctite and proper fastener torque this go around. I'll score the screw head and locker case to tell if they've loosened, and pop the cover after the first wheeling trip and then once a year or so. I figure Ox would absolutely not warranty shit if I put tack welds on the carrier...

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Probably not, it would be a good excuse to get out of a warranty. lol

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,552

Just checked the exploded assembly. The D44 had 1/4 fasteners like you said. D60 has 5/16". I'll apply red loctite and hit them with 225lb-in of torque according to: https://www.fastenal.com/content/merch_rules/images/fcom/content-library/Torque-Tension Reference Guide.pdf

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
How tall is the cover?
On my super duty 60 I'm going to run weaver fab high steer with the tie rod off the bottom of the steering arms. Wondering how much I'd need to section out to make the ox work for me. Between this, arb, or a zip, I've always liked the ox the most.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,554
I'll have to measure later. I know it's shallower than my GLO cover which had the extra 1/2" 'spine' on it.

I really should've measured before I made my ram mount, may have been able to go back to regular, non-offset tie rod ends... :mad3:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
How tall is the cover?
On my super duty 60 I'm going to run weaver fab high steer with the tie rod off the bottom of the steering arms. Wondering how much I'd need to section out to make the ox work for me. Between this, arb, or a zip, I've always liked the ox the most.
I don't want to derail too much but I found a little info last night about a new design from Auburn/Eaton. It looks like they may have ditched the ball and ramp design. I wish I could find more info on them though.

I found the info in the last few posts of this thread
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2438530-eaton-elocker-e-locker-3.html

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,556
Interesting information. The E-locker wasn't much cheaper than the OX, and I like that I can force the Ox to be engaged if the air system fails.

I was seriously considering the Auburn ECTED until I realized that I'd eventually have to rebuild the sucker. I did like that it operated as a limited slip until locked solid. Would probably eliminate 75% of front locking needs, but I didn't want to have to pull the front carrier and rebuild clutches once they did wear out (at some unknown interval). Can't tell if the ECTED is a ball/ramp design.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I absolutely think you made the right decision with the OX. The only reason I have looked elsewhere is my tight clearance with my tierod. I have a long time before I “need” a real locker. My axle has a lunch box in it now so that will get me on the trail at least.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,558
For sure. The Ox cover is steel, so it can be modified, so long as you're not sectioning it right smack dab in the middle where the selection fork is mounted. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
For sure. The Ox cover is steel, so it can be modified, so long as you're not sectioning it right smack dab in the middle where the selection fork is mounted. So keep that in mind.
Well, if you can, once you pull the diff apart again, get a picture of the inside of the cover with the fork please. It would suck to get into that at all.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,560
Dangit, I'd already pulled and reassembled the front diff before you posted your message :laughing:

I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted last night (big surprise), so it's still out of the truck. I can pull it again and get a picture tonight.

1541 - 1560 of 1590 Posts