Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 Powerstroke w/ a 7.3L Deisel. It, frequently, has a hard time starting in the morning as well as during normal operation if I shut it down and try to restart it. Any ideas????

·
Registered
83 Posts
First, normal maintenance. Air filter, fuel filter, etc. Do you have a code reader? If not, get the codes read at Autozone. The code I would expect to see would relate to ICP pressure above/below desired.
The ICP is a small sensor that measures the HIgh Pressure Oil Pressure and sends the signal to the PCM. If this sensor is not working, the PCM will run off "estimated" pressures, it will take longer to start, and power will be down. One other thing to check:
At the front of the engine, remove the black plastic "Powerstroke" cover. Under it is the High Pressure Oil Pump Resevior. There is a plug about 3/8" diameter removeable with an allen key. Remove it and stick a 6" long screwdriver in. The oil level should be within 1" of the top of the resevoir. If not, then the oil is draining back to the pan. There is a check valve located under a large plug under the HPOP. This is not an uncommon problem.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Also check your batteries. The factory ones are not that great. You may have one that is going bad causing the other to go with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts