Pirate 4x4 banner

2002 F550

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  fatboyf150 
#1 ·
I have found a great deal on a 2002 F550 and was wondering how hard it would be to part out? Im not really sure of the condition of the vehicle, I wont see it until tomorrow, but for the price, Im not expecting much. I figure I could use the front axle for my Jeep but want to know what the market is like for the rest of the vehicle. It has the 7.3L Powerstroke, auto trans, whatever transfer case it would come with, and 4.88 gears. I should be able to sell that stuff off fairly easily right?

Thanks...

#2 · (Edited)
Depending on where you are, I would be seriously interested in all or part of it. I have a couple D60's I can trade you for your Jeep, 'cause I don't think you are gonna want the D60 that's under it.
I'd like to see some pics.
Thanks, Jimbo

#3 ·
Depending on where you are, I would be seriously interested in all or part of it. I have a couple D60's I can trade you for your Jeep, 'cause I don't think you are gonna want the D60 that's under it.
I'd like to see some pics. diamondt at pvtn dot net
Thanks, Jimbo

Savannah, GA! That would be a haul! Why wouldnt I want the 60 it has?
I will take some pics and post them tomorrow night after I go see it. Im expecting it to be one of those "too good to be true" deals...

#6 ·
What he said about the unit bearings, 8X220mm bolt circle, etc.....
I have an F550 tow rig, and an F550 feed truck, and wouldn't mind having spare parts around. Still like to see the pics, I ain't skeered of a road trip!

Thanks, Jimbo

#9 ·
Got some pictures! Not exactly what I was expecting. I thought I would get there and it would be a huge pile of rust or look like it was run over by a train. It is not it great shape, but will roll. The tranny is removed and sitting on the rear frame rails. The owner says it needs to be rebuilt. It has the 6 speed manual. The T-case is on the front seat, and dear Jesus it is huge! There are no drive shafts to be seen. Maybe he has them somewhere else... The engine doesnt look too bad. Of course it has been sitting for a while and would need some going through. He said it had the Garrett turbo upgrade from the factory? I did not know there was such a thing but there the Garrett sat under the hood. The only thing missing was the alternator. Here are the pics:

Sorry it is so blurry, these were taken with my phone.... The numbers in the pic below read: 271-F 1C347A195KA 93 13 02 3

The numbers on the tag read: 4.88 V1C34 611196-7

For some reason, I did not get any pics of the rear axle, but it looked fine.

#10 ·
I did not get a whole lot of time to look it over and ask questions. My buddy was there to pick up an R6 that he bought from the guy. He was in a hurry to go riding. Let me know what you guys think...

#11 · (Edited)
I think we need to know how many $$$$ we are talking about for the whole thing, or what parts would you like/need in trade.
I, for example, have several GM D60's, a Dodge D60, a Ford balljoint D60 housing, and a bunch of different rears as well as 205's.

Thanks, Jimbo

Oh, any idea how many miles on the truck?

#12 ·
I will check on milage. It has a digital ODO so I couldnt see. Im not looking to make money off this thing, just looking at the 60 for my needs. I could buy it for $2500, maybe less. I havent tried to negotiate with him yet. So I figure the worth of an axle in trade and the difference. A HP Dana 60 goes for about 1K around here... So, an axle and $1500, depending on what he will sell it to me for...

#18 · (Edited)
Talked to the guy today and he has a clean title. He doesn't know the mileage because when he purchased the truck it did not have a fuse panel. Im not sure why he cant just look at the title and see, but what ever. It turns out that he has his fathers CJ5 needs some work. He said if I could get it running, he would drop $500 off the price! I would imagine I could get him under 2K. If anyone in interested in a trade, let me know and I will buy this thing. I would like to turn it into a car hauler for my Jeep, but I dont have the time/money to work build both...

#19 ·
run a car fax on the vin. it shoud give the latest known millage upon it being sold.

the rear axle should have a drop out like a nine inch ford. except it should be a dana S-135

#22 ·
Yeah, its a 135...

I dont know if Im going to pay $30 to see the mileage on a vehicle that Im going to either have to rebuild or part out. I dont plan on buying another one in the next thirty days so it really wont do much for me. Im going to give him another call tomorrow and see if he can read it off the title. Even if this thing has 200K+, the things I would replace in/on a diesel would get replaced just because it has been sitting for a while. I have been told that a 'good' diesel isnt even well broken until about 100K. This might be an exaggeration, but the eternals last for a long time. The one major thing I would be wary of would be the turbo. I might take my buddy, who is a diesel guy, over to this guys house and see if we can get the engine cranked...

#24 ·
That will be plan b. Right now it looks like I will be able to trade the whole vehicle for a hp 60 and some $. That would be the most desirable, but if that falls through, I will contact you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.