Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

New to the forum, from searching around this forum seems to be the go to place for trackers, etc. I'm aware this is the Zuki section, but I believe my 2002 Tracker has a similar motor as you're used to seeing and I'm hoping to get better feedback here.

As for my Tracker, as stated, it's a 2002 with 139,XXX miles. I bought it from a guy I work with for $1200. I'm in dire need of a gas saver for work so I jumped at the chance to buy it. He has the timing chain replaced last winter and claims to not have driven it much since then. Not sure about the mechanic who done the work or his reputation. You can see that the head is new.

The only issue he was aware of was a busted rear brake line. I drove it to my local reputable mechanic (30 miles or so) and it seemed to run very well. He changed the oil (5w30 synthetic) and replaced the rear brake line along with new brakes and rotors on the front. I picked it up the next day and drove it home. I noticed a sound coming from the motor which sounds like the timing chain "slappin" around. I'll attach a video.

Looking for feedback to see if the timing chain is the actual issue. I'm fairly confident I could do the work to replace if need. Local shops want a fortune to replace one. Since the head is new, I assume it won't have to come off?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get all the details out there. First post, take it easy on me

:D

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I dont know what the noise is, but it sounds like HELL and shouldnt be hard to find once you tear into it! I do know that my 2 liter sounds nothing like that!

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
2.0 uses a very specific oil. don't remember what it is.....

but the chain tensioner is pressured by oil so if its not the right consistency it might make noise.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did not listen to the video clip but IF it is the tensionner (they tend to go south pass 100k miles):

-it is not a very hard job, depending on how mechanicaly inclined you are you might want/need a good service manual
-altough it is not hard, it is quite long, to gain acces you need to remove the rad/power fan and pretty much everything in front of the engine
-you have to make sure you reinstall the timming chain/sprockets in the proper position (ask me how I know)
-for the oil grade, the correct grade IS 5w30 and don't se 10w30 as recommended il the user manual, it is an error.

AND stay away from ebay/chinese tensionner kits, I hat the upper tensionner brake in half, it was a cheap ebay one, last time for me:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm fairly confident that I can get the motor stripped down to the timing chain, just identifying the issue(s) could be difficult. I do have a manual for it.

Another issue....

My fiancé came home after work last night (in a different vehicle) and said when she walked by the tracker it was making a clicking sound and every light on it was blinking.

What's going on with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
timing chain

I have an 01 tracker 4x4 2dr with that motor here is a linc to a great Suzuki site with answers on most if not all of your questions

J20A 4 cylinder: Vitara & Tracker Timing and Tensioner chain repair info: - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

sound like a chain issue you want to get to it ASAP if it goes motor will be toast and they are hard to find cheap used go for what you paid for car almost
900-1400 with same amount or more miles
I just had mine rebuilt but it had 230000. if you replace chain you will be good for another 100000 chain issue is one of the few weak points

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?wwwRedirect
another good tracker/vitara site

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an 01 tracker 4x4 2dr with that motor here is a linc to a great Suzuki site with answers on most if not all of your questions

J20A 4 cylinder: Vitara & Tracker Timing and Tensioner chain repair info: - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

sound like a chain issue you want to get to it ASAP if it goes motor will be toast and they are hard to find cheap used go for what you paid for car almost
900-1400 with same amount or more miles
I just had mine rebuilt but it had 230000. if you replace chain you will be good for another 100000 chain issue is one of the few weak points

ZUKIWORLD Online | Suzuki 4x4 Editorial and Forum - Index
another good tracker/vitara site
The timing chain went out when the previous owner had it. It was replaced along with a new head. I'll get started on the tear down this coming week and report back with results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts