Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna chip my jeep because its auto and kindof a dog. whats the best way to go about it, i see the hypertech power programmer 3, and then theirs just a JET powertech stage 1 performance. what will give me more power i also plan to do an air intake and cat back exhaust.

thanks for ur help
Daniel

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i olny have stock tires and may go with a 33 what ring and pinnion would u go with?? i know its a lot cheeper but it just seems like ur doing so much!

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
i olny have stock tires and may go with a 33 what ring and pinnion would u go with?? i know its a lot cheeper but it just seems like ur doing so much!
auto or 5spd? While I dont have any performance mods ie chips etc most that I have spoke with say that all that snake oil is just that. The 4.0 is a great low end torque motor does great could use more power for sure but for all the chips, headers, exhaust etc your just spending that money and getting very little return HP wise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines auto! the kid i got it from said it has 4.10s but i donno it cant even do a burn out! my cherokee had 3.55s i think and that would freak a burnout with 33s! how would u go about finding out what gears it has? and what gears do u think i should run??:confused:

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
It should have 3.73s in it if I recall correctly. Look at the axles on the diff cover there should be a regtangluar tag held on by one diff cover bolt. On it will be your gear ratio. Is it basically stock? Depending on what tire you go with and I think you said 33s 4.56s should do you fine. What are your plans for the jeep, trail running, rock crawling daily driving etc?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
www.rubiconownersforum.com
take a look @ that page and search for a screen name of "Dr.D" he posted TPS graphs from before and after and did a test of fuel mileage. With the 42RLE he used a 5.13 Ring & pinnion on 33" tires. I was too going to go with a 4.56 but will most likely go to a 5.13 after seeing what he had to post.

If the OP has a non Rubicon LJ then his front axle is a D30 and the lowest he can go is 4.88.

·
Registered
584 Posts
the jet chip is a good buy, my dad has one, and it revs his engie out 500-1000 rpm more and with the air intake it sounds like it has a vary mild cam it it

·
Registered
360 Posts
toss the 4.56's and call it done. I ran 4.10's on my 04 LJ for 2 years and wish i would of gone 4.56 so I could of used overdrive on the hwy. w/the 4.10's and 33's it wondered in/out of OD a little to much for my liking. Now that I'm on 35's i'm going to 4.88's since i'm limited by the d30 up front else i'd be going 5.13's.
As UCTJ said, there will be tags on the diff cover, passenger side front or rear. If the jeep was completely stock i wouldn't see many people paying to regear to 4.10's. Not saying it couldn't of been regeared, just unlikely. If you can confirm that the diff's have never been apart, it's stock obviously. If it has been apart, you'd need to pull a cover and count the teeth on the ring gear.
04 LJ's were only available as auto, 30/44 combo w/3.73's. Manual and rubi options didn't come until 05.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it that hard to gear yourself?? i have swaped carriers before just never did anything with the ring and pinnion! and does anyone allready have an indeepth thread on it that i can look over?

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
auto or 5spd? While I dont have any performance mods ie chips etc most that I have spoke with say that all that snake oil is just that. The 4.0 is a great low end torque motor does great could use more power for sure but for all the chips, headers, exhaust etc your just spending that money and getting very little return HP wise.
x2 ...... UCTJ is right on the money. I changed gear ratios and made major improvements to my TJ.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
is it that hard to gear yourself?? i have swaped carriers before just never did anything with the ring and pinnion! and does anyone allready have an indeepth thread on it that i can look over?
Thats a loaded question b/c for a lot of guys here on Pirate then no its not hard at all, really depends on your level of knowledge. Not to mention you need the right tools which if you dont have them then your going to have to buy em and there again up goes the cost and your not saving after all as well if you fuck em up then more lost money. Heres a thread its for a 14bolt but it still applies...read it if you think you can do it go for it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a loaded question b/c for a lot of guys here on Pirate then no its not hard at all, really depends on your level of knowledge. Not to mention you need the right tools which if you dont have them then your going to have to buy em and there again up goes the cost and your not saving after all as well if you fuck em up then more lost money. Heres a thread its for a 14bolt but it still applies...read it if you think you can do it go for it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/
awsome that helps alot!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts