Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and cannot get an answer. I have a 2004 Montero Limited with 120K miles that has an engine vibration at 2200-2400RPM. It does it in every gear including park and neutral(no it is not torque converter shudder). I have read that Mitsubishi has told some people that it is "normal", but that is a load of crap since many people report this issue suddenly appearing. It appears several people have this problem with the gas 3.5L and 3.8L. Just checking to if anyone knows of the solution to this issue. I found a thread where someone basically replaced everything moving and never solved the issue, ended up selling it. This is very annoying since I love everything else about this vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have searched and cannot get an answer. I have a 2004 Montero Limited with 120K miles that has an engine vibration at 2200-2400RPM. It does it in every gear including park and neutral(no it is not torque converter shudder). I have read that Mitsubishi has told some people that it is "normal", but that is a load of crap since many people report this issue suddenly appearing. It appears several people have this problem with the gas 3.5L and 3.8L. Just checking to if anyone knows of the solution to this issue. I found a thread where someone basically replaced everything moving and never solved the issue, ended up selling it. This is very annoying since I love everything else about this vehicle.
Hi Kyle,
Did you ever track down your vibration problem? I have the same issue on a 2004 3.8 v6, vibration in every gear incl. P or N between 2100 - 2600 RPM. My mechanic is trying everything he can think of but no luck so far. I just bought mine used with only 42K on it. It was never off-road and the undercarriage looks like new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Late to the show but it is the transmission crossmember to body bushings. There are 8 total bushings to replace, two different part numbers (top half and bottom half). Ten minute job at most!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did your mechanic remove the harmonic dampners on the transmision and the rear axle? there is a TSB on thisissue and the factory fix is removal of the big giant blocks of rubber.

·
Extended Member
7,864 Posts
I just went through this with my 03. 8 new bushings in the crossmember to body bolts and removed the two dampers and it went away. It was so bad that drinks would splash out of the cups in the cupholders. Right at 2200rpms.

Butter smooth now. 146k miles on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
here are the bushings?

I just went through this with my 03. 8 new bushings in the crossmember to body bolts and removed the two dampers and it went away. It was so bad that drinks would splash out of the cups in the cupholders. Right at 2200rpms.

Butter smooth now. 146k miles on it.

My 2004 montero is super clean, 160k I got it a month back, has the same loud vibrating drone noise betwen 2000-2500 RPM..

can you help me locate the 8 bushings to replace...and location of damperners to remove ...where are these things? And where do I find part numbers to order replacements?

Greatly appreciate any help..2 different auto repair places cannot figure this out

Keith

·
Extended Member
7,864 Posts
Rear of the transmission and front of the rear diff are huge rubber blocks suspended on brackets. Remove those.

I don't know the p/n for the transmission crossmember bushings but there are 8 half bushings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MR132701 for upper part and MR132702 for lower rubber part. Two part bushing sandwiches the crossmember in between. Easy to DIY improvise with about 18-20 mm inner diameter.
First remove and inspect yours before ordering or fabricating, mine were in good shape when I removed, just before that I was thinking I finally nailed the vibration problem. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts