Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rubicon Owners... my friend is desperated because his 2005 Jeep Rubicon is giving only 15.8 MPG. It is stock from factory. Stock axles, Stock tires. No heavy bumpers.. Completely stock from Dealer.

Is this normal? It is a 4.0 with an Automatic tranny.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wrong vehicle if bought for gas mileage! It's a Jeep-shaped like a brick. Gas mileage is not it's strong suit-having fun wheeling it is.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.

So? Is this normal or not?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't own a Rubicon but I think that is pretty good mileage.Might get a little better if it was a manual.I am lucky to see over 12 but no longer stock either.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Does an 05 auto have overdrive? If not, I'd think that's about as good as it's gonna get. My buddy says his stock TJ gets about 20 on a freeway trip, so I would think mid teens aroung town would be ok.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the Auto tranny is an 4 speed overdrive. We are talking about a stock Rubicon. Stock Gears, Stock tires/wheels. So i asume this normal...

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
i gotta a 96 with 4:88s and 33s and get about 12mpg sucks. mabe putting 35s will help my rmps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get about that with my Rubicon around town and about 18 on the freeway. Offer your buddy a good price for his jeep...maybe you'll get lucky.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get about that with my Rubicon around town and about 18 on the freeway. Offer your buddy a good price for his jeep...maybe you'll get lucky.
hahaha... yes i guess...

Ok guys... thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
thats not normal. My 84' CJ7 with 35's and a fuel injected 4.2 L Inline behind T18 gets 18-19 MPG! :smokin: I think putting a stick behind it would fix some of that

·
Registered
386 Posts
sorry PizzaFarno but it is normal. My best friend has a stock Rubicon that he put 75,000 miles on from the time that it rolled off the dealership lot brand new. The whole time he got only 15-18 miles per gallon. He is german and had a log book in the truck where he would record the amount of gas used and miles driven every single time he filled it up. Yeah, they are crazy for numbers! Anyway, best he could do on a long freeway trip going around 65 was around 18. Mixed use was about 16. My jeep is at about 13. Not a good choice for a gas mileage truck. But heck smoke 'em while you got 'em!

·
Registered
386 Posts
oh yeah, I also had a roomate with a pretty much stock Toyota Tacoma TRD running 31" BFGs and bone stock motor. He was happy to get 17 so for what it is worth these trucks might be small but a diesel F350 is cheaper to drive on gas!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
04' rubicon hwy best approx 16mpg thats when all stock (auto) its gotten worse
97' tj 4.0l 5 speed 33" swampers 4.56 R&P hwy a bit above 17 mpg @ approx 2500-2700 Rpm

94' yj 2.5L 31" tires best I ever got was about 12 MPG (its now being put back togeather)

notice a trend?
They all say Jeep on them
And
Wait for it

The gas mileage suks.

Edit: it think you'll find most guys worrying about gas mileage think that lugging (below power band) the motor will make it better, its opposite of that. The lower the Rpms the more the throttle needs to be open to maintain the speed. especially on a 4.0L

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ive never had a new age jeep(im orginal owner of CJ), so i guess the new ones are worse than the old ones on gas!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Sounds right to me, i have a 98 TJ daily driver, stock, standard trans( w/ OD) . I get about 16 mpg on the highway, i get a little better on back roads. Contrary to popular belief jeeps get worse mpg on the highway. Don't compare it it any other vehicles other then stock TJs. Apples and Oranges. My YJ crawler 4.2l Carbed, T-18 (no OD), 35s, 4:10s only gets used on back roads and has the same mpg as my TJ on the highway, sometimes even better if i really try to conserve gas.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Id say its about normal I get 12-14 and I mainly drive on surface streets and mine is a pig (02 TJ 4.88s, 4.0 5spd) with all the junk..ie winch etc. But I would again say to him that its a rolling brick if he wants great MPG get a different vehicle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts