Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 WK 5.7Hemi SAS, Long Arms, and 35s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys I am building my WK. For some basic info see below.

Ok so to my main question: Anyone know anything about adding a doubler to the NV245 transfer case, or swapping to a NP205 transfer case so I can add a doubler?

Mainly I'm interested in adding a doubler to the NV245, but I realize that may not be possible if no parts are available to accomplish this.

As for swapping to a NP205, anyone know the caveats? What will it do to the computer/transmission/QDII/ABS system controls? I am sure the transfer case has signaling that won't be in the NP205. I want to keep ABS working for on-road driving (this will Not be a purely offroad rig). So I need to know before I try to go that route.

It's already ripped all apart and on a lift.
We have D44 axles from JL and JT with E-Lockers in them. They will be tube-welded and trussed and armored.
We have all long arm parts and steering linkage for replacing the rack and pinion. Still need to select a steering box.
However far the linkage will travel defines how long of coilovers I'll use, even if that requires towers out the hood and into the cab. Will select coilovers once the linkage is done and we have an idea of the possible articulation.
Fenders will be drastically cut.
Rear axle going back at least 5".
Pictures: Entire build will go on Youtube.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1G22-StCOGzspF3soCUTeQ
Facebook Page: Doing Stuff with T & A
Donations: PayPal to Pay Travis Grenell using PayPal.Me

·
blatant asshole
13,121 Posts
Well what spline is the trans output?

Is the bolt pattern the standard 6circle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well what spline is the trans output?

Is the bolt pattern the standard 6circle?
Don't know for sure, but according to ORD it's 23 spline. We didn't remove the transfer case yet. From research I don't think this is very do-able. Was trying to see if anyone knew anything about possibilities. Here's what I got back from OffRoadDesign (ORD)

Your transmission and transfer case should use a 23 spline connection between them.

Dodge NP203’s share that same 23 spline input, so you could use that with our 203/205 doubler system. There are two problems there, one is that the Dodge NP203 input doesn’t stick out very far and you’d likely be left with less than an inch of spline engagement. There are no other 23 spline input options for the 203 part. The other issue with this route is that you’d need to swap the input of the NV245 over to 32 spline, no idea how possible that is.

Our other option, the Magnum underdrive, would work fine on the transmission but is NP205 specific and doesn’t work with the NV245. If you wanted to swap to an NP205 transfer case, this option could work.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,577 Posts
Look into a black box, box for rocks Or any of the other common YJ/TJ crawler boxes. Given what a friend went through when we put a Rubicon 241 in a 1500 dodge you are going to require custom programming of the ECU to get the wheel speed sensors happy when the vehicle is in low low.

·
blatant asshole
13,121 Posts
Im not sure but if this is what youre dealing with for a bolt pattern youre fucked.

White Light Product Font Line

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure but if this is what youre dealing with for a bolt pattern youre fucked.
Yes, that's it. I'm not totally screwed... My options are:
1. Swap to a NP205 with ORD's Magnum underdrive kit.
2. Have custom parts made.

Both are expensive options, but the 2nd is likely the better way. Anyone know a really good machine shop in ATL that does custom gear machining?

Also anyone know if the Rubicon 241 can fit to replace the NV245?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anything can be done with custom parts but there’s going to be a lot programming issues. That transfer case is completely computer controlled and any unknown gear ratio change would send the trans into limp mode. Completely swapping it out would require the same level of programming. I had a basket case 2008 grand that someone straight axled come into the shop. It was a nightmare and I believe he ended up swapping to a 2005 545rfe/241or and had someone program the engine and trans to pretty much stand alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
LOL yes I can remove the Tcase. There are a few updated pics out.

Back to the bigger issue: Making the WK work with a better transfer caes. GOOD NEWS!

Mopar made 3 different transfer case adapters for that trans, all of which are a simple bolt on without transmission disassembly and are factory options, mopar 52107719, mopar 52119463AB and mopar 52098690. The first option 52107719 makes the output side the common 6 bolt round pattern!!! WHOO HOO!

Now I have all the options I want! And so I'm going to choose the most awesome option:

Donations to support us!
PayPal: Pay Travis Grenell using PayPal.Me
Venmo: @TnADoStuff Venmo
CashApp: $TnADoStuff Pay me on Cash App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
More info on suspension details. We are stalled on the build because my local steel supplier has taken a WEEK to get together a simple order with a few minor cuts in a sheet of 1/4 plate :( and I need to get oxygen and acetylene but my gas dealer is near the steel dealer and I don't want to make 2 trips out there! Grrr.

Axle Location
We've decided to move the axles a little further apart than originally shown in the pics, primarily so the bumpers don't get hung up when crawling.

Motor Mounts
We've decided to re-engineer the motor mounts. In the WK the motor mounts are on a crossmember that is bolted to the frame. We are cutting most of that out and welding the mounts directly to the frame. That eliminates clearance issues for both the front driveshaft and long arms. We will add a 2x2x1/4 bar across the engine to provide frame support that was lost from the crossmember, and bolt it to the frame.

Coilovers
We also have decided to go with 20" travel coilovers. They will have to go through the hood and I'm actually happy with that :D. We have about 20" from existing strut tower to bottom of frame, and 6" from top of strut tower to bottom of hood giving us a total of 26". Collapsed the coilovers are about 29" long, and I am not going to put the coilover shock below the axle tube, so it's going through the hood and in the rear we will build a box up into the interior. To make that work, we will relocate the coolant overflow reservoir and we will relocate the battery. The power distribution box with the computer on it will go where the battery was and the other one will go next to the brake master cylinder.

For coilover selection, I was looking at 20" from Big Shocks but after I saw a review on design quality I'm probably not going that route. I've been looking at FOA, Fox, and ORIs. I know FOA aren't the best but for the price difference I can't justify going with Fox or ORI. I've heard both good and bad on FOA, so aside from some occasional seal issues, if someone had a really good reason to avoid them let me know. Also if anyone knows of another good option for coilovers let me know.

Links and Gas Tank
The front and rear are both 4-link. The gas tank will be relocated to where the WJ has it; WK tank is on the drive side and interferes with the 4-link. Stupid design decision from Jeep!

Tires
I plan to go with 40s for trails and was looking at a bunch of options. However I really like the wider tires so really want the Mikey Thompson 43/15r17 Baja Pro XS tires. To that effect, can someone measure the diameter of those mounted on the rim? Want to see if I can make them fit. Thanks!

Donations to support us!
PayPal: Pay Travis Grenell using PayPal.Me
Venmo: @TnADoStuff Venmo
CashApp: $TnADoStuff Pay me on Cash App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts