Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 325 Posts

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had Jeep's off and on since the 70's. My last Jeep was a 2001 TJ and I really liked it. I've always wanted a Scrambler but never got one. Then I found this clean LJ on CL one day......

So, here's the starting point.

2006 LJ, 4.0, 6speed, np 231, 3.73's, D30/D44, 31" MTZ's on 16x8 black steelies, 2" bb.

Metal Cloak Overlines on order. Banks turbo kit on order. 1.25" BL, 1" M.0.R.E. MML setting on the bench waiting to be installed with the Cloak's and Turbo.

Here's my Jeep Truck now.

· Premium Member
79,687 Posts

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm interested to see how the turbo will work out, keep up the good work
Me too, I've read all the threads around on the internet including the very long thread when it was under development. Usually I would have waited a while to see how they work out before I dropped this much coin. The Banks name plus the wow factor of a turbo charged Jeep made it worth the risk.

This was in the driveway when I stopped by just now. I ordered it about 1 week ago.

I haven't heard from Metal Cloak on my fender order so I guess I'll start the turbo install and hope the fenders come in before I'm done. I was planning on installing the turbo while the front passenger fender was off. Probably going to take the fender off anyways.

There are potential issues with the metal cloak fender and the turbo/air filter assembly but I bet it can all be worked out.

· Premium Member
79,687 Posts
Me too, I've read all the threads around on the internet including the very long thread when it was under development. Usually I would have waited a while to see how they work out before I dropped this much coin. The Banks name plus the wow factor of a turbo charged Jeep made it worth the risk.

This was in the driveway when I stopped by just now. I ordered it about 1 week ago.

I haven't heard from Metal Cloak on my fender order so I guess I'll start the turbo install and hope the fenders come in before I'm done. I was planning on installing the turbo while the front passenger fender was off. Probably going to take the fender off anyways.

There are potential issues with the metal cloak fender and the turbo/air filter assembly but I bet it can all be worked out.
Metal Cloak normally takes 4-6 weeks to ship a set of fenders after receipt of order.

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
banks turbo kit inventory

I broke open the 2 boxes and did an inventory. Everything was there and packaged pretty well. I took several shots of the packaging as we went through everything just in case something was misplace later during the install. Here's a couple of shots of the open boxes.

I'm starting the install tomorrow afternoon :D

· Premium Member
79,687 Posts
My MC orders have always been quoted three weeks and show up a week early...but they DO require a signature upon delivery, so make sure someone's around to sign.
I solved that problem. I ordered mine through a local 4x4 shop where I know the
owner, got a deal on the price, and they handled signing. :D

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today's progress

A couple of things came up at work so it put me a little later getting started than originally planned.

It's tempting to charge ahead and begin the install but with 106k on the clock and Banks saying to do a health check I pulled out the check list and started down it.

Here's the plugs. I just bought this LJ so I don't know how long they have been in. They look fine to me. On to the fuel pressure test.

My fuel pressure test kit didn't have the right fitting to plug into the fuel rail. I found this connector under the drivers floor board. I was able to use a piece of rubber hose here and hook up the pressure gauge. It showed 58psi KOEO. Now onto the cylinder leak down test.

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't have a leak down tester so after a quick trip to NAPA I was back in business. The cylinders checked between 7 and 15 % leak down. #2 and #3 had the most leakage. I was hoping they would all be under 10% but it was good to go so onto the compression test.

The compression looked good with 1,4,5 and 6 showing 180psi. 2 and 3 showed just above 170 psi. We also took a quick peek into the cylinders with the camera.

We are new to the camera so I don't know if this cylinder wall looks good or not. Moving the camera around we could still see what looked liked crosshatching on the cylinder walls.

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the throttle body and fuel rail off then decided to call it a day. It looks like a good time to clean the throttle body and after taking the injectors out it looked like a good time to clean everything up there.

Here's where I left it for the day.

It took a little time but nothing difficult to get this far. The directions and pic's have been clear and easy to follow. I'm looking forward to getting back on the install tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.