Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are building a new truck to eventually replace our current FABTECH Ranger. The current one is 4 years old and the only vehicle to win in each of XRRA, WE-Rock, and UROC. 11 wins and 4 championships. Alright, I'll quit bragging but it has been a good truck. It was my first vehicle when I was 15 so I am a little emotional about it.:D This is the first time we have started from scratch and not needed to nickel and dime the project.

The first thing we did was decide on an engine. Given the size, weight, and power requirements, I don't think a small block Ford can be beat. We have always built 302 HO motors but wanted more power so we stepped it up to a 347 stroker - 400 hp, 400 ft/lb, 400 lbs. The entire engine is 27" long.

We have been talking with Pro-Formance Unlimited for about a year regarding the requirements for such an engine. We have a custom cam, forged rotating assembly, cast iron block, Dart Pro 1 heads, and Mass-Flo injection. They supplied us with a turn-key fuel injected 347. Their website is here: http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine showed up here looking like this. I then added the only junkyard parts I think we will need - the belt system from a 1994 Mustang. The high quality oil filter relocation kit is from Canton Racing.

Attachments

·
Battle Masher
2,244 Posts
booyeah this is gonna be sick

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sweet , you have my attention :D

Hey Brad, do you know the dimensions of that filter adapter your useing or any info on it would be helpful . I have tried many different types and they just dont give me the clearance I need. Thanks

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Canton has some very nice stuff. We got our oil-accumulator from them and they not only offered a great part, but the service to back it up.

Can't wait to see and hear the new Ranger!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The James Duff kit sucked and I am still a little bitter about it. I pulled it off and went to a high dollar Superlift kit. I put 33 x 950's on it and started popping axles. The Dana 28 / Ford 7.5" just didn't hold up. I eventually stepped up to a Dana 35 front / Ford 8.8" rear. During college, I drove this truck into the ground. I remember putting 1000+ miles on it with a come-along holding the front radius arm together.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided it was time to do something or let it die so I put a 302 HO in it with ZF trans and a Dana 44 front. At this point it was still my daily driver. I build a realy nice tube bed but can't find any shots of it. It had a 1 link rear suspension. I beat the crap out of it in Farmington, Moab, etc. It eventually died when I was flat towing it and accidentally left the Atlas in front low. The tranny seized and blew the snot out of everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the truck was dead for a few months while I pondered things. It was 2003 and we had been to a couple comps and decided we liked it. We built for the mod class and won every event in the series and got 2nd in Supercrawl. THe second season we changed the body a bit and kept doing well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Believe it or not, we got the attention of Ford and they helped us update the look to a 2006 Ranger. Along the way we have made improvements here and there to stay competitive. It still works because we just won the WE-Rock Pro Mod Championship. At this point, I think the only original part is the gas pedal. I grin every time I think about my dad telling me "Your just going to kill the value of it if you put a lift kit on." He is the one that got us started and regretfully, never saw us compete.

We gave serious thought to updatig this one again but expense and timing would really hurt us so we are starting fresh - but it is good to remember your roots.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 139 Posts