Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping to make this thread a one-stop shopping place to jump off and provide positive comments to support good grant proposals and negative comments for bad proposals... PITCH IN AND HELP!

There are plenty of Friends groups, Stewards groups, and CTUC chapters that need your support, and of course, the Rubicon Trail Foundation. The rest of these groups will take some research...

Pay extra special attention to the conservancies, wilderness devotees, and other preservationists to keep them honest in their scoring. Even the folks who don't share our appreciation for OHV may get funded, so it behooves us to make solid suggestions to improve their grants, as well -- we all win when OHMVR funds a balance of strong grants.

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
FYI -- this is part of the normal Notice of Public Review that we need to post as part of the grants process.
This is sorta confusing, but note that these grants are submitted in 2010, but the corresponding programs will be delivered 2010/2011.
Rubicon Trail Foundation’s PRELIMINARY OHV GRANTS 2010/2011 PUBLIC REVIEW/COMMENTS
Rubicon Trail Foundation in partnership with El Dorado County, has proposed our 2010/2011 grants for Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Department. There are significant similarities between the 2009/2010 grant year in progress and the proposed 2010/2011 grants, but that only makes sense considering that 2010/2011 continues many elements of the previous education program and continues support for the County’s Department of Transportation (DOT) erosion control and maintenance efforts on the Rubicon Trail.

RTF would like to invite you to review and comment on the 2010 applications submitted to the California Department of Parks and Recreation, OHMVR Division. The public review and comment period will be open from Tuesday, March 2, 2010 through Monday, April 5, 2010. You can view and comment on the applications online at OHMVR's website at http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/. , click the “GRANTS Tab” then click on “OLGA” when the screen appears, then click on the “Public Review Instructions” follow instructions at Step 2 and proceed to the applications.

There are two main grant divisions in RTF’s 2010/2011 grant proposal:
Ground Operations: three heavy-duty trailers and associated costs to move materials along the trail to support DOT’s erosion control and maintenance efforts on the Rubicon Trail.
Education: informational kiosk staff, counting staff, and Mid-Trail Staff, will help inform users of current issues and support County educational campaigns such as WAG-bag distribution, oil spill cleanup, on-the-trail discipline, etc.

The Rubicon Trail Foundation was formed in 2004. We are a federally recognized non-profit organization dedicated to the future health of the Rubicon Trail and our mission is to enhance the future health and use of the Rubicon Trail, while ensuring responsible motorized year-round trail access. The Foundation works with individuals, clubs, organizations, and agencies to maintain and manage the trail. Our Officers and Directors represent a wide variety of Rubicon Trail OHV users, land owners, county representatives, manufacturers, and event organizers.

If you would like to help with our efforts, you may send your tax deductible donations to: Rubicon Trail Foundation PO Box 2188 Placerville, CA 95667
Paypal donations or major credit cards by calling 888-6rubicon or by signing up for a Friends of the Rubicon work party at: www.friendsoftherubicon.com

More information is available at www.RubiconTrailFoundation.org

# # #

If you would like more information on this topic, or to schedule an interview with a representative of the Rubicon Trail Foundation, please e-mail [email protected]
If you have questions on any of the projects, please feel free to contact: [email protected]

Randii
Randy Burleson
Grants Administrator
Rubicon Trail Foundation

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Stewards of the Sierra...
THE STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST PRELIMINARY OHV GRANTS 2010 PUBLIC REVIEW/COMMENTS The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest, a Division of California Trails User Coalition a 501 c 3 nonprofit, in partnership with the Sierra National Forest, plan to complete the following maintenance activities on fourteen National Forest system roads (approximately 24 miles).
This work includes; removing roadside brushing, cleaning drainage structures such as culverts, dips, leadoff ditches, removing downed trees and boulders from roadways, repair and installation of road and directional signs, performing condition surveys, reporting unsafe road conditions or heavy maintenance needs, and removal of trash.
This work is focused on National Forest System roads that provide popular OHV riding opportunities and are critical to connecting OHV riding areas. These roads also provide access to dispersed camping and recreational destination points. This project will improve water quality, access, signage, and enhance the OHV riding experience on the Sierra National Forest.
The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest and California Trails Users Coalition, a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Sierra National Forest has undertaken steps to improve upon lands in Fresno, Madera, and Mariposa Counties, by submitting grants for these enhancements.
The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest, California Trails Users Coalition, and Sierra National Forest would like to invite you to review and comment on the 2010 applications submitted to the California Department of Parks and Recreation, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVR). The public review and comment period will be open from Tuesday, March 2, 2010 through Monday, April 5, 2010.
You can view and comment on the applications online at OHMVR's website at http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/. , click the “GRANTS Tab” then click on “OLGA” when the screen appears, then click on the “Public Review Instructions” follow instructions at Step 2 and proceed to the applications.
If you have questions on any of the projects, please feel free to contact:

The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest, P.O. Box 601 North Fork, CA 93643
E-Mail: [email protected]

The California Trails Users Coalition (CTUC),
3550 Foothill Blvd
Glendale, Ca. 91214
(818) 247-8878, Ext. 215
FAX: (818) 957-4435
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From Eldorado National Forest ...
ELDORADO FOREST 2010 OFF-HIGHWAY GRANT APPLICATIONS INCLUDES LAW ENFORCEMENT, TRAIL MAINTENANCE, RESTORATION AND PLANNING

Posted: February 26, 2010

The Eldorado National Forest is developing applications for Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Cooperative Funds for the upcoming 2009/2010 grant cycle. We are developing a preliminary application to the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division which includes a strong emphasis on trail maintenance and repair, restoration of trails and impacted areas, law enforcement across the four Ranger Districts, printing and distribution of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps, development of a dispersed camping area at Long Canyon, construction of a bridge on the Barrett 4WD Trail, and planning for designation of dispersed recreation areas adjacent to the Rubicon 4WD Trail.

The grant applications will be posted on the OHMVR website on March 2, 2010. To review the grant applications submitted, click on this link or paste it into your browser:
http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/
or you can find a link on the Eldorado National Forest’s website at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/

The 30-day public review and comment period for the 2009/2010 Grants and Cooperative Agreement Program begins March 2, 2010, and ends April 5, 2010.
This period provides an opportunity for the public to review the preliminary applications submitted to the OHMVR Division for consideration during the current grant cycle. The public may provide comments to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing Lester Lubetkin at [email protected] and copying the OHVMR Division at [email protected].
You may also send written comments, suggestions, or letters of support for the application to Lester Lubetkin, Eldorado National Forest, 100 Forni Road, Placerville, CA 95667.

The Eldorado National Forest will also host an Open House on Wednesday, March 17 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM to discuss the grant applications and to hear your thoughts. This Open House will be held in the Forest Supervisor’s Office large conference room, 100 Forni Road, Placerville. We hope to see you there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lester Lubetkin
Forest RecreationOfficer
Eldorado National Forest
(530) 621-5213 FAX (530) 621-5297
e-mail: [email protected]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Todd. :cool2:

Here's a grant proposal one from our partners at El Dorado County Department of Transportation.
http://co.el-dorado.ca.us/rubicon/PublicNotice_02232010.html

El Dorado County Department of Transportation and El Dorado County Sheriff’s Department applies for grant funding for the Rubicon TrailPosted:* February 23, 2010
The El Dorado County Department of Transportation and El Dorado County Sheriff’s Department are applying to the California Department of Parks and Recreation, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division for the 2009-10 grants program for funding of projects on the Rubicon Trail. The grants applications will be posted on the OHMVR website on March 2, 2010. To review the grant applications submitted, click on this link or paste it into your browser:* www.ohv.parks.ca.gov
The 30-day public review and comment period for the 2009-10 Grants and Cooperative Agreement Program begins March 2, 2010, and ends April 5, 2010. This period provides an opportunity for the public to review the preliminary applications submitted to the OHMVR Division for consideration during the current grant cycle.* The public may provide comment to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing Vickie Sanders at [email protected] and copying the OHVMR Division at [email protected].

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Well I am a bit pissed at some of the requests from Eldorado. Many are looking for funds to block routes, granted I think these were closed during route designation.

BUT......

on Grant request
G09-02-03-R04 R Restoration - Cable Road Unauthorized Routes
(which I assume is to block routes off Cable Road)
...The Forest would like to stop further degradation of the area by controlling OHV traffic by installing rock and gate barriers

under section 8
utilization of partnerships
List partner organization(s):
Friends of the the Eldorado and Please Leave it NRA Clean Organization (PLINK)

We have offered and help clean up those areas, we have NEVER offered to help block any of those roads.
I also know that PLINK would not help with blocking a route

·
16,230 Posts
under section 8

We have offered and help clean up those areas, we have NEVER offered to help block any of those roads.
WTF??

I can't find 2010-11 :confused:

When i click on "grant program" it only gives me up to 2009-10 What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nevada County Sheriff pursues grant funding for patrolling areas in eastern and western Nevada County, as well as along the Highway 20 and Interstate 80 corridors.

http://www.theunion.com/article/20100302/NEWS/100309960/1001&parentprofile=1053

The Nevada County Sheriff's Office is applying for a state Off-
Highway Vehicle grant of $64,000 to help patrol various areas of the
county where the sport is popular from July through June next year.

If awarded, the office would use the grant to patrol Greenhorn Creek,
Steephollow Creek, Chalk Bluff, Deadman's Flat, Jackass Flat, the town
of Washington and the Bowman Lake areas in western Nevada County.

Patrols conducted along the Highway 20 and Interstate 80 corridor
would include Bear Valley, Indian Springs and Rattlesnake Mountain.
Patrols in eastern Nevada County will occur at Meadow Lake, Boca
Reservoir, Prosser Hills, Prosser Pits, and Little Truckee summit
area.

The grant application may be viewed online, and public comments posted
at http://ohv.parks.ca.gov.

Questions and comments from the public may be directed to the Nevada
County Sheriff's Office at (530) 265-1471, or by mail to Nevada County
Sheriff's Office, Attn. Sgt. Daniel Saunders, 950 Maidu Ave., Nevada
City, CA 95959.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Placer County's info: http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Works/Projects.aspx

As released to the Sierra Sun:
Placer County Department of Public Works, Tahoe Design Division is applying for an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Planning Grant from the California State Parks OHV Division. The grant in the amount of $136,000 will be used to map, sign and develop a long term maintenance plan for the McKinney Rubicon Trail of Eastern Placer County.

The OHV grant application may be viewed online and public comments posted at http://ohv.parks.ca.gov

The grant application may be viewed at the Placer County Department of Public Works Office, 10825 Pioneer Trail, Suite 105, Truckee CA 96161 or online at http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Works/Projects.aspx

Questions and comments from the public may be directed to the Placer County Department of Public Works by telephone (530) 581-6234, by mail at Placer County Department of Public Works, Attn: Amy Green, 10825 Pioneer Trail, Suite 105, Truckee CA 96161.

·
16,230 Posts
Well I am a bit pissed at some of the requests from Eldorado. Many are looking for funds to block routes, granted I think these were closed during route designation.

BUT......

on Grant request
G09-02-03-R04 R Restoration - Cable Road Unauthorized Routes
(which I assume is to block routes off Cable Road)
...The Forest would like to stop further degradation of the area by controlling OHV traffic by installing rock and gate barriers

under section 8

Just FYI on this.

I have sent an e-mail from both FOE and PLINK to the FS asking to remove the names of our PRO-ACCESS organizations from that grant.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
This is in OLGA:

Agency: El Dorado County Transportation Department
Application: Rubicon Trail Restroom at Winter Camp

Ride on
Brewster

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Randii,
To someone with less-than-stellar experience with reading through all of those proposals, especially looking at a menu with so many of them and not knowing what is what, is there a "cliff's notes" on what to comment on and who to comment to?

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randii,
To someone with less-than-stellar experience with reading through all of those proposals, especially looking at a menu with so many of them and not knowing what is what, is there a "cliff's notes" on what to comment on and who to comment to?
Not yet, Dustin, at least not more than the press releases rehashed above, but I am working on it... :D

There's a whole lot of grant proposals, and while I'd love for everyone to take a read through ALL of 'em, I know I sure don't have the time for that (pesky day job and all), so for right now, I recommend finding the ones for groups with which you're familiar (see press releases up top) and positively commenting them if they make sense, or making specific suggestions so that positive changes can be made.

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cliff notes are a challenge, but you can view the comments that have been submitted thus far at the following link: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26150

You might want to look at the comments already made and see if they shake forth questions or opinions of your own...

Randii

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I got my comments in first on the Rubicon-related grants...
* El Dorado County Transportation Department Grant Application
* El Dorado County Sheriff's Department Grant Application
* Placer County Department of Public Works Grant Application
* USFS - Eldorado NF - Patrol District Grant Application
* USFS - Eldorado National Forest Grant Application (Forest Grants)
* USFS - Eldorado National Forest Grant Application (Forest Ground Operations Section)
* USFS - Tahoe National Forest portion of the TNF/LTBMU Patrol District Grant Application
* USFS - Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit portion of the TNF/LTBMU Patrol District Grant Application
I tried to mix in some TLC for Fordyce, as well as other ENF and TNF trails, but my primary focus is Rubicon, and I hope that other folks in FOF, FOE, and FOTFA took time to comment on their local trail with their local knowledge.

I even had some time to give some feedback to some really good or really bad grants from outside the area:
* Cal Poly Corporation UAV Grant Application
* Pacific Southwest Region Grant Application
* Tread Lightly! Grant Application
* Desert Tortoise Preserve Committee, Inc. Grant Application

I had probably 50 hours into this, but on a 24.1 million dollar program, we NEED quality respondents. If you really want me to post up my comments, I can, but I'd rather you just read the categories at: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26150 (I may provide links later).

Randii

1 - 20 of 20 Posts