Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my truck started making this weird noise out the intake. It seems to be loudest at idle and goes away at higher RPMS. The truck has lots of power, makes full boost and is smooth. There are no trouble codes. Anyone have an idea of what this could be. This is at 208000 km (129000 mi) and I have a Banks 6 gun and Ram Air air cleaner with no other mods.

Here's a video I took this morning.

Ford 6.4L weird thumping sound from the intake. - YouTube

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
That sounds like an air pulse to me.

Especially when it smooths and goes away as the revs gain.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a broomstick to see if I could narrow it down. I seems to be most prominent on the hot side of the intercooler. The rocker arms sound fine, there is no noise from the turbo, or the exhaust. Listening at the tailpipe it is smooth and as quiet as ever.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would cause this air pulse?

The PCV system seems to be tied into the oil filler.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Have you checked for blow-by? Just remove the oil filler cap to check

Ive heard more and more horror stories about these 6.4's

Normally it is related to pushrod problems.

·
Registered
952 Posts
We run a lot of these at work and we have had several (15 or so) all die between 100-120k on the ticker. they sit and idle excessively (average about 10 miles per hour on the miles vs engine hrs clock). major cause of death is burnt/holes in pistons. a thumping through the intake usually accompanies it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
More than likely a lifter going away, they like to mushroom out and not come out of the block, If your lucky maybe just a lifter, but when they go they wipe out the cam, and get stuck in the lifter bore. Then its shortblock time.

May also be rocker arm problems. They also wear down and break quite a bit.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I more or less narrowed it down to the valve train on the driver's side. Had it towed to the dealer this morning and they've confirmed that, they are digging into it deeper to determine the extent. I should know more by 4 o'clock.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, the rocker arms and pushrods are fine. They wanted to pull the head to see if it is the lifter or camshaft. I had them stop so i can do some calculations and figure out what I want to do. The costs of this is frightening.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a hole in a piston. My 7.3 did the same thing.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My 6.0 was making a very similar noise to this one and ended up being a hole in the piston... $3200 fix:(

better than my company. the mothership just buys new ones at 16k a pop

·
Registered
952 Posts
So, the rocker arms and pushrods are fine. They wanted to pull the head to see if it is the lifter or camshaft. I had them stop so i can do some calculations and figure out what I want to do. The costs of this is frightening.

Whilst checking the rockers and pushrods.. all they had to do is crank it to see if any were loose not compressing the spring to determine if the cam or lifter is gone?

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck is home now. I'll start pulling the engine this weekend.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The truck is home now. I'll start pulling the engine this weekend.
Have fun with that. While it is possible to remove the engine in chassis with the cab still on you still have lots of hurridles ahead of you. You will have to pull the oil pan as it will not clear the cross member, as well as the pick up tube to get the pan off. The rear cover will also need to come off. Also remove the exhaust pipes to the turbos, and the turbos. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Just un-bolt the cab and lift it off the frame a few inches. Then remove the grill, radiator, intercooler, condensor, and core support lol. Good luck Ive been there.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have fun with that. While it is possible to remove the engine in chassis with the cab still on you still have lots of hurridles ahead of you. You will have to pull the oil pan as it will not clear the cross member, as well as the pick up tube to get the pan off. The rear cover will also need to come off. Also remove the exhaust pipes to the turbos, and the turbos. Good luck.
I have the service manual and just finished reading the procedure. It's not going to be fun but I'll get it done. We pulled the heads off, body-on, in my brother-in-law's 6.0L a year and a half ago so I have an idea of what to expect.
Just un-bolt the cab and lift it off the frame a few inches. Good luck Ive been there.
That's a good idea. The oil pan is nearly the last step so it'll give me time to consider that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts