Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how are today's FOA shocks. I know there was a period of bad press, but they're still around. How are they doing in 2014?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Used to be an advocate. Now I wouldn't take them if they were given to me. Shitty quality control, lies and broken promises. The list goes on. I would recommend spending your hard earned money somewhere else. You'll be money ahead.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Used to be an advocate. Now I wouldn't take them if they were given to me. Shitty quality control, lies and broken promises. The list goes on. I would recommend spending your hard earned money somewhere else. You'll be money ahead.
Ditto. Ditched my coil overs after repeated leaks. Air bumps are holding up though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't get it. What causes them to leak? I got to say I have a set of 2.5's sitting in my shop for over 2 years that I never installed fully charged and they all began to leak over time. I assume that any shock manufacture would leak over that period. Is that true? I want so bad to a loyal customer because it allows me to spend my hard earned cash somewhere else.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ditto. Ditched my coil overs after repeated leaks. Air bumps are holding up though.
ditto spend your money on a quality product

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
x2, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I got to say I have a set of 2.5's sitting in my shop for over 2 years that I never installed fully charged and they all began to leak over time. I assume that any shock manufacture would leak over that period. Is that true?
Read the writing in your shop... Shocks made properly should not leak oil out the seals man.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
I have the new race version of them. No problems with the COs at all. The machining on this version is really nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really disappointing. I suspect there are many more customers who are happy with their products, but it just seems too risky.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Read the writing in your shop... Shocks made properly should not leak oil out the seals man.
I can take a picture of some brand new SAW's that sat mocked up on a rig for years uncharged and started leaking as soon as the vehicle moved..... Bought from you. The owner just didn't run to parrot4x4 and bitch about it.

·
Premium Member
11,147 Posts
They were always really good about getting me parts & service when I needed stuff. I just got tired of needing stuff.

Also, watching a reservoir endcap blow off, go through a piece of lexan, and almost nail a co-driver in the head during a race kinda puts a damper on things. I've personally seen 3 reservoir caps blow out on 3 different vehicles.

At the end of the day the cost difference is not going to be that huge in a rig build. One ruined race or weekend of wheeling and you might've well just paid it from the start.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
most people that don't run them hate FOA shocks.

Fixed.... whether some have had problems and moved on, are spreading heresay, or protecting their brand ego; I believe the above is about as accurate as you will find, just like TG threads. Plenty of hate from guys that have never touched a tg product, but tg stuff is cheap, sucks, poor customer service......

I've bought 6 pairs or so of FOA shocks, only had one leaker after I bottomed one out hard. FOA warrantied it, I installed bumps and the problem went away. I've bought and fixed a couple more pairs of troublesome "leaky" shocks. I still look at other brands before buying it because let's face it their colors are prettier and their steekers are cooler, but I keep buying from FOA.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When i bought mine it was during their Shitty customer service days. Customer service was handled by email only. It was a nightmare to get any info or a straight answer out of Chris i think was his name. I rember it taking forever to get my order (4 shocks and 4 bumps). then ended up buying parts to rebuild one of my shocks that never worked right from the start. I got it better but there's still a mystery problem with it. Not a race guy so i just dealt with it and moved on. Broke some parts along the way, mostly the cast spring adjusters. Replaced with billet. Once they were working i was, for the most part happy with them.

So a few years go by and i decided to replace a couple 2.0 air bumps with some newer 2.5's. Got the wrong parts when they finally came in. Got that straightened out. But the bumps stick when compressed. Wont come back out. It was only one at first but now its both. I gave up and wrote them off.

Last dealing i had with them was about a year ago. I ordered parts to rebuild 2 shocks that i wanted to re-valve. Parts order came in wrong.

I dont hate them, I dont feel the need to shit talk them. They have a product at a lower price point. If you dont mind a little extra hassle and want to save money, they will eventually work for you.
My pennies are currently being saved for ORI's.

·
W6FTW
3,814 Posts
I wouldn't run them even if they were free. I rebuilt mine and sold them asap...

Foa took nearly a month to get my parts out and took forever to get shims out. I had new resivoirs and the machining was so bad the ifp in the resi would wobble when moved. The wear band did nothing...

Theyre junk. I now have foxes. Theyre not much more, but thats what you pay for something that doesnt leak and work

·
Registered
652 Posts
Fixed.... whether some have had problems and moved on, are spreading heresay, or protecting their brand ego; I believe the above is about as accurate as you will find, just like TG threads. Plenty of hate from guys that have never touched a tg product, but tg stuff is cheap, sucks, poor customer service......

I've bought 6 pairs or so of FOA shocks, only had one leaker after I bottomed one out hard. FOA warrantied it, I installed bumps and the problem went away. I've bought and fixed a couple more pairs of troublesome "leaky" shocks. I still look at other brands before buying it because let's face it their colors are prettier and their steekers are cooler, but I keep buying from FOA.
What is the reason that they leak? Unbalanced shaft, Coil body ID uneven wear, etc. I imagine they are using the same seals as other shock company's..... I can't imagine that only FOA are known for leaking... Or is it that we just don't hear about all the other manufactures shocks because the owners just fix them and move on? For example, if I bought a new BMW, top of the line with all the options trying to one up with the Jones's next door with their Ford Focus. My BMW is always at the shop for repairs and I never complain because all the money I put into it, sweat and tears..... Pride basically. Mr Jones take his Focus in and he all of a sudden is convinced its a lemon....... Does this make sense?

Not to mention the market that usually buys F-O-A vs Name brand is somewhat different.

Edit How is the customer support with the name brand outfits? Are they quick to return calls, sending shims, seals, what not?

1 - 20 of 260 Posts