Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great first post I am sure many of us are incredibly impressed with your awesomeness. Im sure you left a lot out of that post please tell us more amazing things that you do and think of
Look, I have 10 posts now. I'm sure if I troll every post and tell everyone that I disagree with how wrong they are, I'll catch up in no time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually at no point do you states why buying FOA’s new is better than buying quality stuff used. :rolleyes: Is your name Gary?

When you deburr everything flat sand the pistons.
Because I never said buying FOA's was better. I did explain why I made my decision though.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
They are picking on you because you made a post that COMES ACROSS as you defending a product that you don't even own.
No one on the internet cares about products someone purchased, but does not have in their had.

and for the record, I'm also one of the few that uses FOA because I have more time than money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are picking on you because you made a post that COMES ACROSS as you defending a product that you don't even own.
No one on the internet cares about products someone purchased, but does not have in their had.

and for the record, I'm also one of the few that uses FOA because I have more time than money.
I knew what I was in for. I posted on a thread about FOA shocks because I'm expecting them soon and can give recent first hand review.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great first post I am sure many of us are incredibly impressed with your awesomeness. Im sure you left a lot out of that post please tell us more amazing things that you do and think of
You're right, I should have just said nothing but then posted what I thought of them. Then I would get flamed for being a newb and not knowing shit, which I still will. Instead I gave a BRIEF background so you could determine on your own if my opinion was worth a shit (I already know the answer to that) and why I was willing to take a chance.

·
W6FTW
3,814 Posts
I read a lot of reviews about the FOA's both positive and negative. The majority of the bad reviews are with QC problems and deburring or a lack there of and nothing recent. So I ordered 4 corners of their 2.5 reservoir coilovers and 2.0 bumps 2 weeks ago. My order status shows "in assembly" so I suspect they will be shipping soon. I am building my wife's 99 Cummins with 12" 2.5 coilovers and 2.0 bumps on FFS long radius arms in the front, Thuren steering and FFS 4 link kit in the back for 6" of lift.

Here is why I decided to order FOA's.

1. It seems to be the same handful of people that have had bad experiences that post on several off road forums or quote posts from others that are a part of that group. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that or that their experiences weren't real, just that it appears to make the problem look worse to me. Most bad reviews are also old.

2. I manage a 30,000 sqft. AS9100/ISO9000 certified Aerospace Machine/Fab shop and have been the only inspector here for 20 years. I was also a full time ASE certified California Smog licensed auto mechanic for 15 before that. I have a $150,000 Zeiss High Speed Scanning CMM and can check everything with a repeatability within .00004, not to mention $$$$$ in other measuring instruments. I know machining quality. I also designed, trained and manage our tumble deburring, hand deburring and assembly departments. We do work for Boeing, Raytheon, L3 Communications, Arcturus, Heil and Marathon garbage trucks and have been in business for over 50 years.

3. My friend services and tunes, King, Fox, SAW and any other serviceable shocks for close to 10 years and is very knowledgeable in custom tuning and suspensions.

I do not expect problems, but we will disassemble everything and inspect for defects or burrs. We will also inspect the custom valving that I specified. I ordered and paid for 2 additional shim kits to allow for the extra shims included in my valving. If I find defects that I cannot rework, I will warranty them and anything minor like deburring will be taken care of by me, but I will report what I find. I have been dealing with JD who has been fine to deal with and responsive to my questions. More review to follow.

My entire build with shipping is $4700 and I could not do that with big name shocks.
Fwiw, last time I even ordered shims to repair a screw up that they did, they couldn't even ship the correct thickness shims, not once, but 2 times! I gave up and ordered them thru Wayne. He had some extra foa shims and shipped them since FOA couldn't get their shit right..

The machining is junk.. expect to do a lot of machining to make them right..

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fwiw, last time I even ordered shims to repair a screw up that they did, they couldn't even ship the correct thickness shims, not once, but 2 times! I gave up and ordered them thru Wayne. He had some extra foa shims and shipped them since FOA couldn't get their shit right..

The machining is junk.. expect to do a lot of machining to make them right..

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
If something is fucked up to the point of needing to be machined, it will get returned because I can't machine material back on to it and removing scratches or gouges will loosen clearances. I can improve the finishes if they aren't a 6 or better and I will check the bodies and shafts for size and cylindricity. Many of the reviews are complaining of the lack of deburring and that leads to sharp edges or metal in the oil. I will deburr everything if it is not already and clean everything well. I will check the pistons for flatness, parallelism and perpendicularity to the I.D. and O.D. I will post my results, good or bad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
2. I manage a 30,000 sqft. AS9100/ISO9000 certified Aerospace Machine/Fab shop and have been the only inspector here for 20 years. I was also a full time ASE certified California Smog licensed auto mechanic for 15 before that. I have a $150,000 Zeiss High Speed Scanning CMM and can check everything with a repeatability within .00004, not to mention $$$$$ in other measuring instruments. I know machining quality. I also designed, trained and manage our tumble deburring, hand deburring and assembly departments. We do work for Boeing, Raytheon, L3 Communications, Arcturus, Heil and Marathon garbage trucks and have been in business for over 50 years.
You must be a real Joy to work for!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
There is a reason we called them Fucked On Arrival. Nothing like getting a brand new leaky piece of shit. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
Look, I have 10 posts now. I'm sure if I troll every post and tell everyone that I disagree with how wrong they are, I'll catch up in no time.
nobody gives a fuck about your post count, get over that nonsense :shaking: present your information, that is all we are here for

If something is fucked up to the point of needing to be machined, it will get returned because I can't machine material back on to it and removing scratches or gouges will loosen clearances. I can improve the finishes if they aren't a 6 or better and I will check the bodies and shafts for size and cylindricity. Many of the reviews are complaining of the lack of deburring and that leads to sharp edges or metal in the oil. I will deburr everything if it is not already and clean everything well. I will check the pistons for flatness, parallelism and perpendicularity to the I.D. and O.D. I will post my results, good or bad.
You ain't got no metal gluers in that there badass aerospace shop :confused: the lightning machine is pretty useful for adding material to scratches and gouges so that the sharp machines can remove it again.

i'm still curious what you come up with, but you don't need to be such a cunt about it :flipoff2:

fwiw, i bought radflo shocks because they are a smaller company than king or fox and i got them through an even smaller outfit because they were local to me :rasta: so i certainly understand not going with a big name

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
nobody gives a fuck about your post count, get over that nonsense :shaking: present your information, that is all we are here for.
:beer:

I generally don’t even look to see who posted, I read the post and decide if they need to be flamed. It’s when somebody draws attention to it that I look to see who they are or how many posts they have. If he would not of mentioned it I would’ve never looked.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
:beer:

I generally don’t even look to see who posted, I read the post and decide if they need to be flamed. It’s when somebody draws attention to it that I look to see who they are or how many posts they have. If he would not of mentioned it I would’ve never looked.
That exactly what someone with 40k posts would say :flipoff2:

To me, the background in qc and aerospace or whatever he said would lead me to think he would want "the best" not buy something that will need to be redone right out of the box.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
That exactly what someone with 40k posts would say :flipoff2:
Holy crap, I need to step (roll) away from the keyboard! :eek:

To me, the background in qc and aerospace or whatever he said would lead me to think he would want "the best" not buy something that will need to be redone right out of the box.
I would run used King, Fox, SAW, ADS, Bilstein or Radflo first. And if you read my posts I’m not a fan of about half of those. But none of them are pure crap. If you search you will find I supported FOA in the beginning, but their execution and assembly is terrible. The design is not the worst. It’s a knock off of a King.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
3. My friend services and tunes, King, Fox, SAW and any other serviceable shocks for close to 10 years and is very knowledgeable in custom tuning and suspensions.
No one that actually works on shocks for a living wants to touch FOA's:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
946 Posts
I sold my set of 14" 2.0 FOA's, with two rebuild kits, a bunch of shims, two spare reservoirs and a gallon of their oil for $100.00. I was glad to get that. Its hard to sell crap when you are honest. Replaced with Radflo, took them out of the box, bolted them on, haven't had to do anything else in two years.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The design is not the worst. It’s a knock off of a King.

I could be off base here, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere (elsewhere) that it was a King design that King decided not to bring to market, and then sold off?

To the OP: Yes, I'm one of the biggest FOA detractors here, based on my (miserable) experience with them. But that's with their older offerings, not their current ones. I'm genuinely curious about what you will find and expect that given your background, you will give us an honest technical assessment. Please share.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts