Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 206 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Thanks guys. Not a big rack by any stretch, but I'm a meat Hunter so I'm happy. 3 yr old, and super healthy. Most importantly, he didn't even flinch when I shot him at 260, just rolled his head and died.
My first rifle buck too, always been lucky and got my animals during archery season.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Between work and school, haven't been able to get out into the stand at all yet. Went goose hunting on Saturday and got a 2 man limit. I really think that goose is my favorite game to hunt.

Husband and I both really need to get a couple deer stuck and in the freezer, our meat supply is dwindling rapidly.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I tried boiling and that shit is nasty. My buddy in Georgia uses flesh eating beetles?, and finished then with some high strength hydrogen peroxide. Thats what I am going to try this year if I get a nice bull or buck.

He keeps his bugs alive by feeding them a squirrel now and then. Says its stupid easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was stupid hot one year and I kinda forgot I had put the head under one of my parts trucks. Walked out to go to work one morning, smelled something awful and thought "shit, somebody musta poached a deer in the creek below the house", then noticed flies buzzing around under the truck.

I worked right next to the woods, so I took it to work with me and grabbed a boatload of houseboat rope and tied the head to the base of a tree and left it for a bit. Went back to check on it and a bear had been coming in and had picked the outside clean for me while the beetles took care of the brain. Didn't take long for the animals to clean it for me

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
It was stupid hot one year and I kinda forgot I had put the head under one of my parts trucks. Walked out to go to work one morning, smelled something awful and thought "shit, somebody musta poached a deer in the creek below the house", then noticed flies buzzing around under the truck.

I worked right next to the woods, so I took it to work with me and grabbed a boatload of houseboat rope and tied the head to the base of a tree and left it for a bit. Went back to check on it and a bear had been coming in and had picked the outside clean for me while the beetles took care of the brain. Didn't take long for the animals to clean it for me

Some friends who were ranchers outside Point Reyes used to leave them for the ranch dogs to chew on. They'd drag them around the yard, the flies were everywhere, so I'm sure they did some.work too. Not sure they hung any of the ones the dogs got though.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Didn't snap pics but, wondering if I came across a poached bear yesterday on my way home from deer hunting. Saw a ton of ravens off the side of the road, turned around and checked it out, as did another car. It was fairly well chewed on but still had meat on the legs and a good deal of guts in it. Head was gone, so I kinda wonder if somebody poached it for the head. Also thought it coulda been a roadkill, though there was no evidence of one being hit in the road. That said, they don't tend to fillet open like a deer when hit by a car, so it coulda been a roadkill that either ran a short distance and died, or was drug off the road by someone. Still sad to see such good meat go to waste

·
Registered
187 Posts
Didn't snap pics but, wondering if I came across a poached bear yesterday on my way home from deer hunting. Saw a ton of ravens off the side of the road, turned around and checked it out, as did another car. It was fairly well chewed on but still had meat on the legs and a good deal of guts in it. Head was gone, so I kinda wonder if somebody poached it for the head. Also thought it coulda been a roadkill, though there was no evidence of one being hit in the road. That said, they don't tend to fillet open like a deer when hit by a car, so it coulda been a roadkill that either ran a short distance and died, or was drug off the road by someone. Still sad to see such good meat go to waste
I've seen a ton of bears hit by cars that weren't messed up looking at all. Doesn't explain the head being gone though. Maybe it got hit and someone cut the head off. Not technically poached but still illegal as hell.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
...Still sad to see such good meat go to waste
Reminds me of a story that a female driver hit & killed a bear. The tale teller pulls besides accident & talking to driver who did call police to report it.
A pickup truck appeared w/two guys slowed down, parked, got out, both carried bear into bed & split before one can say Jesus Christmas-

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Got my 2017 buck back from my taxidermist buddy this past weekend. My dad insisted that we hang it at his house for some reason. 10 point 21.25" spread. I scored it roughly at 150 5/8.

Its the best one shot at our place so far (which is the 60 acres behind my parents house in SE Texas).

IMG_E2062.jpg

·
Registered
2,150 Posts

My son Zach's first elk. 550 yard shot and he nailed him. Grant County, Oregon. John Cole's Hunter's Rendezvous Outfitter and Guide Service.

This is the first time I've been on a guided hunt. It was a top notch operation and they killed bulls every day we were there. Good times.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
7 days into the fur season, and only got 12 coons. Too much rain here in PA, and the fox have been alluding me. I'll post pics if I feel like dicking with Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Got a 2 yo cow elk yesterday. Tags are filled for the year, it's been good. One shot from the 7mm 162gr eld-x was all she wrote. The 5 mile one way pack out sucked balls though.

Very nice! We got back from CO Thursday night. Spent 4 days looking for elk, with no fresh sign. The unit we were in was really dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 206 Posts