Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Its because people are too lazy. Not something I want to shoot but I've seen lots and lots of them.
Things must be different where you are. We have a lot of cats, and guys who have spent 40+ years hunting haven't seen more than 1 or 2.
This was the only one I've ever seen. But I have them on my cameras constantly.

What do you have to do as far as being not lazy to see lots and lots of them?

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Things must be different where you are. We have a lot of cats, and guys who have spent 40+ years hunting haven't seen more than 1 or 2.

Nothing more than spending time in the woods, spend enough and you'll see them if you're looking. People would be amazed to know all the shit they walk by. If you're seeing them on your cameras then they are more than likely seeing you. Look up, I've seen them in the tree's more than once especially when they have cubs.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Had a managed rifle antlerless deer hunt this weekend on a large conservation area here in mid Missouri. Was able to take these 2 large doe about 15 minutes apart in roughly the same exact spot and they landed within 20 yards of each other.

The best part is that it was on an area that my grandpa and Dad grew up hunting and the rifle is my grandfather's that was passed down to me and my brother. Only the second time I've shot the gun, first time was 2 weeks ago sighting in the new scope I put on it. It's a 1969 Browning BAR in 30-.06. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Had a managed rifle antlerless deer hunt this weekend on a large conservation area here in mid Missouri. Was able to take these 2 large doe about 15 minutes apart in roughly the same exact spot and they landed within 20 yards of each other.

The best part is that it was on an area that my grandpa and Dad grew up hunting and the rifle is my grandfather's that was passed down to me and my brother. Only the second time I've shot the gun, first time was 2 weeks ago sighting in the new scope I put on it. It's a 1969 Browning BAR in 30-.06. :smokin:

:smokin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

A lot of it is location obviously. We have a massive local elk herd. Like they really don’t venture more than a mile of 3 from town. So we have quite a few cats as well. Have seen 2 of them sunning themselves together not 1/2 mile from my house. Other end of town has to known dens about 1/2 mile apart. I see a few a year but during winter I see tracks and tail drags constantly on my property. I have surprisingly never caught on on my cameras on my property. But neighbors all have them on their cams. Mostly just before dawn.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Husband and I got home from Wyoming and Colorado on Thursday night.

I tagged out with a 4x5 elk the first evening out and he shot a 4x5 the next morning. We dropped them off at the processor and then spent the next 3.5 days catching 18-20" rainbow and cutbow's and picking up artifacts in the high desert.

The processor plant with taxidermy shop is for sale in a small town of Wyoming... if having a hunting season wasn't so important to both of us I think we could highly consider it. We love it out there.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
Nothing more than spending time in the woods, spend enough and you'll see them if you're looking. People would be amazed to know all the shit they walk by. If you're seeing them on your cameras then they are more than likely seeing you. Look up, I've seen them in the tree's more than once especially when they have cubs.
We have a ton of them around here and I've only seen 1 or 2. And all of ours are hunted without dogs. They seem to do okay but really need a good snow fall to track them. Good tags number when we have snow and pretty much nothing when there is no snow.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
2019 - 2020 Hunting, fishing, trapping, killin' & grillin' thread

A lot of it is location obviously. We have a massive local elk herd. Like they really don’t venture more than a mile of 3 from town. So we have quite a few cats as well. Have seen 2 of them sunning themselves together not 1/2 mile from my house. Other end of town has to known dens about 1/2 mile apart. I see a few a year but during winter I see tracks and tail drags constantly on my property. I have surprisingly never caught on on my cameras on my property. But neighbors all have them on their cams. Mostly just before dawn.

So after I say I have never got one on camera this one shows up. Apparently I need to check my cameras more often.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nice bears chevota!
Thanks Squamch.
Pulled some quality boars outta that canyon the past two yrs. See at least one every trip but often have seen half a dozen or more in a day of glassing. Saw One sow with three Cubs, a couple pairs of sub adults, and several large boars roaming the oaks, loading up on acorns. Got some pics and short vid of sow with 3Cubs if anyone wants to see them I can try to send em out.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Schwacked about 13 squirrels this weekend with Silverzuk. His cur dog John Jimmy is officially retired so the brunt of the tracking/locating fell on the shoulders of my cur. He clocked about 25 miles in total and wore out the pads on his feet. He's got a week to recover and then he'll be hitting the woods for squirrel this coming weekend and the pheasant flushing in 2 weeks

81 - 100 of 142 Posts