Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are already getting snow here in WA!

Anybody been out playing in it yet this year? Post up your pics if you have :flipoff2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
https://youtu.be/_XaLoM_D0lc

We are close to starting here in BC. Got enough snow to make things really slick. Like slide off the road/trail sideways kinda slick. Missed that part on camera. Just a solid shakedown run for my wj. Added lokka up front and cut rear wheel tubs out and rebuilt so I could flex the rear with my 36’s. The snow line is creeping down. Just need a good dump. Temps are good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
https://youtu.be/Plrkd24c9hI

Well went for a cruise and wound up what I’d call actually snow wheeling. Tried to make local fire tower. Made it within 1/2mile. Probably less than that but the drifts were deep and I fell off the narrow shelf road and the blizzard conditions were getting worse so after the recovery we backed down the switchbacks and headed home.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
We got a start, even a few inches at home. Went up to get a tree today, didn't take very many pics. Snow was kinda shit, but not deep enough to make it too hard.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Soooo, any snow wheelers out there serious enough about snow to up their game with some portal axles? That extra few inches of clearance would be nice on the deep stuff.

For guys that mainly crawl, it seems like a big investment to throw at a dedicated snow rig. Seems like most guys currently running JHF portals are in rigs that wouldn't be the best option or most comfortable for snow.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Soooo, any snow wheelers out there serious enough about snow to up their game with some portal axles? That extra few inches of clearance would be nice on the deep stuff.

For guys that mainly crawl, it seems like a big investment to throw at a dedicated snow rig. Seems like most guys currently running JHF portals are in rigs that wouldn't be the best option or most comfortable for snow.
We put 404s and 49s under a CJ5 a few years ago, it definitely did well, even better when he borrowed some 54s.

I half ass priced out JHF portals, everything was priced reasonably for what it is, except the portals themselves. I couldn't swallow $1k ea for 20-30 year old portal boxes.

I personally would never do 404s either, they are an absolute nightmare to work on. They are pretty strong right out of the box though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Starting to get better.

It should snow pretty good this week. We're going to head back up next week.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts