Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
https://youtu.be/pMYtQ0aR5Rc

We are getting a bit of snow. The big hill was sugary and I did not have enough tire or gearing to crawl it, dropped down to 2.5psi and eventually I Gave up and went to brute force and ignorance and it worked well enough to get through. Way hard on fuel though as we nearly ran out, more so for me breaking most of the trail. Was a beauty of a day though. Only issue was breaking my hood release cable as my engine bay froze up. Had to steal power from the jk to air up.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts

No pictures of the deeper stuff, but we turned back in about a foot of snow, truck was cooking hot, I don't know where to start to keep it cooler, I need a bigger rad than the V6 one I already have, and maybe a better fan than my stock mechanical one?
Nuked a rear axle seal too, I may have done a diff as well. It was randomly clanking, and HOSED gear oil everywhere on the way home. Lost brakes too on the way home.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
https://i.postimg.cc/C5J6MB9Q/20191226-131828.jpg[/IM

No pictures of the deeper stuff, but we turned back in about a foot of snow, truck was cooking hot, I don't know where to start to keep it cooler, I need a bigger rad than the V6 one I already have, and maybe a better fan than my stock mechanical one?
Nuked a rear axle seal too, I may have done a diff as well. It was randomly clanking, and HOSED gear oil everywhere on the way home. Lost brakes too on the way home.[/quote]

Wow haha. I think it was saying don’t take me out in the snow again

·
Registered
12,603 Posts

Nuked a rear axle seal too, I may have done a diff as well. It was randomly clanking, and HOSED gear oil everywhere on the way home. Lost brakes too on the way home.
Motor swap

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Wow haha. I think it was saying don’t take me out in the snow again
Nah, it's been in the snow plenty, but it's well north of 500,000km, and has had a hard life.

Motor swap
Yeah...you're probably right. Better tires too. And putting my front chains on would have helped. I'm working on a single cab second gen that may end up with more woopow installed. For the time being I'm gonna patch this back up and do a coolant flush...it got filled with creek water a while back, so it could use a clean out I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
https://youtu.be/bLicZB_nQ90

Well we got hit hard with a foot and a half of wet snow in town, never mind the hills over New Years so we missed the hangover run due to no gas or power anywhere close and no eta on getting power. We did sneak in a few hours Friday though close to home to see what the local mountain got for snow and it was good stuff. Tough right out of the parking lot. Used our home built push pad effectively.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
https://youtu.be/bLicZB_nQ90

Well we got hit hard with a foot and a half of wet snow in town, never mind the hills over New Years so we missed the hangover run due to no gas or power anywhere close and no eta on getting power. We did sneak in a few hours Friday though close to home to see what the local mountain got for snow and it was good stuff. Tough right out of the parking lot. Used our home built push pad effectively.
I’m 100% willing to come over from Alberta if you guys needed one more for your choochoo! Good luck on power man, the snow looks great.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
We have some up high, hopefully going to get a good dump soon to test out the new toy :D

Put the tires back on for now, going to go play tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
some real snow finally
Is your guy's snow normally more fluffy? Like dry and won't stick into a snow ball?

Just curious how different it is from us. We normally get very wet snow that sticks together well and can sometimes be crawled on top of.

We also usually get freeze thaw cycles each day, even at higher elevations, which is what makes "Sierra concrete"

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Is your guy's snow normally more fluffy? Like dry and won't stick into a snow ball?

Just curious how different it is from us. We normally get very wet snow that sticks together well and can sometimes be crawled on top of.

We also usually get freeze thaw cycles each day, even at higher elevations, which is what makes "Sierra concrete"
Our weather is all over the place. But it’s usually pretty dang cold, then every couple weeks it’ll warm up above freezing. Then cold and more snow. So we have some spots with sugary snow, with crust a foot down, then sugary below that. But it’s really all over the place. Yesterday is was sugary then it started to pack, and it became snowball snow. Then got cold and sugary again. Never know what’s going to happen

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Gotcha, so not too far off from us. It seems like the sugar happens for us when it snows at near 32* then clears out and gets really cold. But who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Our weather is all over the place. But it’s usually pretty dang cold, then every couple weeks it’ll warm up above freezing. Then cold and more snow. So we have some spots with sugary snow, with crust a foot down, then sugary below that. But it’s really all over the place. Yesterday is was sugary then it started to pack, and it became snowball snow. Then got cold and sugary again. Never know what’s going to happen
Where are you located and where were the Videos taken?

Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
Rain has been messing up our January snow wheeling. Managed a couple good runs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts