Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body of supermarket employee found inside store, behind cooler nearly 10 years after he was first reported missing: police

https://www.foxnews.com/us/body-of-supermarket-employee-found-inside-store-behind-cooler-nearly-10-years-after-he-was-first-reported-missing-police

The decomposed male body found in January behind a cooler in a vacant former supermarket in Iowa was identified by police Monday as belonging to an employee who vanished nearly a decade ago.

The Council Bluffs Police Department confirmed in a news release the deceased man found Jan. 24 inside the closed-down No Frills Supermarket Store on West Broadway was identified as Larry Ely Murillo‐Moncada, who was 25-years-old when he vanished.

Murillo‐Moncada was reported missing by his parents Nov. 28, 2009 after he became upset and ran out of their home. Sgt. Brandon Danielson told the Des Moines Register that Murillo‐Moncada ran out of his house “with no shoes, no socks, no keys, [and] no car” in the middle of a snowstorm.

While it is unclear what prompted his abrupt exit, his mother told the Daily Nonpareil at the time that her son was prescribed an antidepressant the day before his disappearance and he seemed disoriented and had even started hallucinating.

Police said Murillo‐Moncada was an employee at the No Frills Supermarket but was not scheduled to work the day he was last seen. The store had been closed for about three years by the time the body was discovered by contractors who had been ordered to remove shelving and coolers from the building.

Authorities believe Murillo‐Moncada left his home and went to the supermarket where he sat on top of the coolers which, according to former employees, was a common thing for workers to do when they wanted to be alone during a break period.

He likely fell into an approximately 18-inch gap between the back of the cooler and a wall and became trapped. Police did not offer an official cause of death, but ruled it accidental as the autopsy report showed no signs of trauma.

The body, which had gone unnoticed for almost 10 years, was so badly decomposed it had to be identified through DNA analysis, police said.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The fact that nobody noticed the smell makes you wonder about what other problems they had!
Morning radio talk show was discussing the story. I believe they were saying the customers complained about a smell. In an article they were reading.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
The fact that nobody noticed the smell makes you wonder about what other problems they had!
I read that story this AM and thought the same thing

unless its like the mouse that dies behind the fridge and you never notice?

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
What a weirdo... Good riddance-
Seems like an odd response about a guy who had a bad reaction from some drugs he was prescribed...

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I read that story this AM and thought the same thing

unless its like the mouse that dies behind the fridge and you never notice?
I'm curious how the freezers were arranged. If they were open enough to spill cool air onto the floor, it's possible it smelled way less than if he had died behind the boiler or in a warm storage area.

I'm mainly surprised that nobody at the store noticed or took a peek with a flashlight, if it was common for them to sit on the coolers during breaks and whatnot. But, we are talking about supermarket employees and not Rhodes Scholars.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Counciltucky, the armpit of Iowa.

Sad story but so many weird unanswered questions
X2 on Counciltucky. That is a city that starts directions with "back the way you came."

I find it hard to believe that people didn't go looking for the smell. Grocery stores in general smell, but you notice decomp. I bet that is part of why that store closed. No one wants to buy food in a place that smells rancid.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I find it hard to believe that people didn't go looking for the smell. Grocery stores in general smell, but you notice decomp. I bet that is part of why that store closed. No one wants to buy food in a place that smells rancid.
I was walking with my kid past a park and there was a decomposing cat you could smell from across the street. How a human body went that long without being discovered is beyond me.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Cooler means heat/fan out the back. Think he got mummified pretty quickly? Mayne not instantly according to the DJs, but before full-on goo-pile?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
yep... the hot air blasting dryed him out pretty quickly... that must have been a shitty amount of time being trapped and nobody to hear you and nothing to be able to do....

at least he won't have to remember it.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Counciltucky, the armpit of Iowa.

Sad story but so many weird unanswered questions
Damn, unfortunately we'll be close to there in a couple of weeks. We'll be staying overnight in Omaha off the I-680. :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts