Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the web and have searched here to no avail. I would like to start this thread in Hope's to make it easier to find the correct tire these days. Tires are outrageously expensive and few have enough budget for trial and error with tires in our sport.
With the above said, what non sticky, publicly available, dot approved tires are people using for the EMC at KOH? Are you happy with them, why or why not?

Ok, go...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Best bang for the buck would be the nitto trail grapplers, independent dealers tend to have really good prices on them. The only reason I switched was I wanted to go bigger than 40. They are a tough tire and have great road manners if that matters to you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
FWIW, I was happy with how my ProComp MT2s performed at EMC but ProComp was not my favorite to deal with.

Toyos and Nittos seem to be popular these days.

I want to hear feedback from the guys running the Yokohama's.

Edit - are you racing EMC @ KOH on these or just thinking about it?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
FWIW, I was happy with how my ProComp MT2s performed at EMC but ProComp was not my favorite to deal with.

Just picked up 5 mt2’s 40’s for 1700 4wheel parts does a lot of sales on pro comp stuff and since they are SoCal based I got themin2 days. Have seen a lot of good stuff on them so figured I’d give them a shot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thinking/planning. My budget is smaller these days 😞

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Best bang for the buck would be the nitto trail grapplers, independent dealers tend to have really good prices on them. The only reason I switched was I wanted to go bigger than 40. They are a tough tire and have great road manners if that matters to you.
X2

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
@Mieser has the ProComps and the Patagonia black labels, and is doing a longer term comparison on FB. Might be good to get his feedback if non-comp use is going to happen.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
@Mieser has the ProComps and the Patagonia black labels, and is doing a longer term comparison on FB. Might be good to get his feedback if non-comp use is going to happen.
For me, after running a few thousand miles on both, it is the Patagonia MT hands down.

( I have a set of four 40" ProComps in almost new condition for sale )

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
For me, after running a few thousand miles on both, it is the Patagonia MT hands down.

( I have a set of four 40" ProComps in almost new condition for sale )
Shit, had I known you were going to sell them, I'd have tried to get from you at EJS.

Is your price range worth looking into shipping them to me?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Nitto Trail Grapplers.

PROS:
Readily available, hookup great in rocks, true to size, great quality (take very little weight to balance), a proven performer with years of proof in rock sports to back it up, great Nitto customer service, and they have the toughest sidewall of any radial tire I have ever used.

CONS:
Heavy compared to similar sized radial tires, but that tough sidewall comes at a cost.

Out west in the rocks, I have NOT been impressed with the newer Patagonias, redesigned General Grabbers, or Maxxis Razor. The Milestars are a popular "cheap" tire here, but they spin and slip a great deal on rocks that the Nittos just crawl up. The "Overlander" fags really love those Milestars though (and newbs who don't realize that any tire hooks up in Moab).

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just FYI, the Black Label Patagonias are definitely not full stickies. Just squeezing the tread blocks by hand, sticky Trepadors are way softer. The Black Label compound seems pretty similar to my Rocker radials, which is softer than most any non-sticky tire, but not a true sticky.

A buddy of mine runs the Black Labels in a 40" on the rocks, and personally, I don't think they do that great for a "sticky" tire, but for the price point, they seem decent. The tread pattern also seems to hold them back on the square and jagged rocks in southern New Mexico compared to more open tread patterns that "grab" the rocks a lot better. For what it is worth, he says they hook better than his old 42" Rocker bias plys, but he bought those used and they were pretty bald and maybe a bit old. He has made it up some things with the Black Labels that he couldn't with the Rockers though...

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
I'm trying to make a decision on tires currently, and I cant decide between the milestars or Falken MTs. It's either that, or go with the cheapest no name tires I can find...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nittos......and bang for buck with nitto does not mean you are compromising IMO. They are a great tire...
Mud, rocks, snow, 8 hours of highway driving.......I've yet to be disappointed in my 40" trail grapplers. Granted I don't have many other experience with different brands in this size, but they have definitely lived up to the feedback I saw prior to purchase. Yes, they are a little bit heavier, but who's really counting pounds on radial 40" tires.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
I am going to back up the consensus about the MT2 ProComp. That is a fantastic tire. Especially for the price.

My issue with the Toyo is it's weight. Those tires are very heavy. My second issue is the tread seems to harden much faster than any other brand tire I have dealt with. Within a year you'll notice a dramatic difference in the compound. Within 2 years the tires will start getting hard and lose the grip that makes them a viable option. Within 4 years they might as well be an old dry rotted super swamper.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
To the OP, are you asking about tires to race the EMC, or just tires in general?

Racing, I would look into tire companies supporting the EMC class. You will most likely be going through tires often, so them being affordable and durable is important. You will also be racing with higher PSI, so its tough to get a recreational wheelers opinion on this one.

General, definitely happy with my new 40" Milestar Black Labels. Very impressed so far and I drive my Jeep on the street, rocks, sand... everything (except mud, F that!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts