Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Rock Stacker
1,495 Posts
Bringing this back on track, why are people choosing rebuildable joints over a standard rod end?
The ones you linked are called "Loader Slot". The body is machined with a race profile going all the way around the interior of the body. The ball is turned sideways and dropped through the machined slot, and a PTFE/Nylon material is injected to seal/close the slot. This self-sealing material serves as a liner to keep dirt and debris out while also lubricating the rod end.

Swaged spherical bearings = NHBB, FK, Aurora
The bearing is manufactured by swaging a ductile race around a hardened ball. The race is machined and the assembly loosened (released) to obtain proper clearance or torque, or both, and then ground to finished size. Spherical bearings are then again swaged into or stacked into the threaded rod end body. The teflon liner version have a strip of teflon fabric/material placed between the ball and race before swaging so it is a buffer and seal between the two.

The loader slot body/race is machined so the tolerance can be off and the teflon makes up for the gap. Once the joint is hammered enough to smash the teflon out of the way, then debris get in and abrasion and more hammering occurs until you replace it.

Swaged spherical bearing can have a tighter fit so they don't hammer out as easily and they keep more debris out so they last longer. Tighter fit means race to ball tolerance not just the liner causing friction as in the case of the loader slot sytle.

Rebuilable rod ends that have a ball, races, spanner, and body usually have grease ports to flush out debris in absence of a teflon liner/seal. The tolerance can also be adjusted tighter to reduce hammering or loosened up to reduce friction so the joints move easier example steering application. They can be adjusted tighter over time until the race is worn to the point of replacement.

Misalignment spacers on any type of rod end bring in dirt and nonuniform loading on the race and liner as there is a small void between the ball and the spacers. Rebuildable rod ends usually have a one piece misalignment ball so they are continuous and don't drag in debris or unevenly load the race.

The majority of racers in high speed applications will not have long lasting success with the loader slot while slow speed recreation crawler might have them last forever. Throw away swaged rod ends can also fit in to the prep style that racers prefer rather than rebuild multiple joints while a recreation wheeler will take the time to rebuild joints and save money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is probably a 2020 joint question. I’m probably just behind the times.

Years ago I bought a bunch of Currie Johnny Joints for my Scout 80. Now that we’re building an 800 I wanted to get the same joints so both have the same parts. The front end on the 800 used my old spares from the 80 for the frame end of the radius mounts.

What’s the difference between the “Currie Johnny Joints” from days of old and the “Rock Jock Johnny Joints by John Currie”? Did the companies split? A product line get sold? Same parts with a new name?

I’m looking at CE-9114L-14 and CE-9114-14 for a rear 4 link.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the Currie Johnny Joints on all of my projects. As far as servicing them or rebuilding them, Rock Jock has a Johnny Joint assembly tool that makes the joints easy to take apart and put back together. I have one and it was worth the money. If I remember correctly it was a $100.

Currie and RockJock did split last year. There were 3 Currie brothers that owned Currie Enterprises. Two of them kept Currie, and it is strictly differentials only now. John Currie split RockJock off and made it it’s own company and has brought in his son and daughter. RockJock encompasses Johnny Joints, Antirock sway bars, Currectlync steering and all of their suspension kits and components that they’ve always had. Their new website is: www.rockjock4x4.com. I call over there weekly to order stuff and they have done a great job shipping everything to us. Most stuff is in stock on the shelf. During the COVID-19 situation, they were one company that was always there for parts!

81 - 84 of 84 Posts